HD 25-1 Success Story.
Aug 3, 2004 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

iGig

500+ Head-Fier
To start, I’d like to thank saint.panda for writing this in depth review: Sennheiser HD 25-1

His descriptions matched what I was looking for in a headphone: portability, isolation, comfort, durability and good bass.
I also appreciated the pictures, I thought this headphone looked sexy in an understated kind of way, and I was pleasantly surprised to see they’re smaller and lighter than I thought. I absolutely love them and I’m thrilled to have found a product that meets my requirements.

Applications:
On the go: iPod + HD 25 = I’m set for life.
smily_headphones1.gif

I’ve been using px200 and KSC-35, this is definitely a step up for me.
Against my own logic I'm tempted to buy a portable amp, to make them shine at all times.

iGig on keyboards/gaming: HD 25 and V6 is all I’ll ever need.
For piano practice and amateur recording, the V6 doesn’t fail me, but I hear its coloration and I welcome a different perspective for balance.

Isolation: I do most of my headphone listening in noisy places. My Grado 225 gets very little use for that reason. My faithful V6 has kept me company, but the recessed midrange made all guitars sound too distant.

The HD 25 doesn’t need an amp to sound good and loud, but I’m using an old Onkyo receiver and they improve A LOT. I’m getting full and powerful sound across the board. Using this crapolla equipment, when I turn up the volume, the V6 gets more bass and the SR225s get more highs. (who needs that?)The Senn’s give me more punchy instruments, exactly the way I wanted.
cool.gif

I’m the least qualified person to write sound descriptions, the best I can do is say: They rock! I love the forward presentation of guitars and drums, much like the Grado 225s but with less treble and more present bass...my dream come true.
I still think Grado is better for rock music, I’ve never heard such accurate representation of drums and cymbals, unfortunately for me, such amount of detail is very fatiguing because I’m very sensitive to high frequencies. The HD25 is mellower in this respect and allows me to focus more on bass and drums, which is my personal preference. I hear a slight mid-bass hump that I find very pleasing, it makes rhythm guitars sound very chunky. <-- very technical reference.
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

I spent my weekend listening to old Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera and my ears didn’t get tired. The split headband gives me total stability, no amount of head-banging moved the pads away from my ears.
When I got bored of my 1-person mosh-pit, I switched to DJ Tiesto, needless to say I was dancing the whole time. These puppies are loud and loaded with bass, this would make sense because these are *ahem* DJ phones and rightly so.
I played several tracks of dance music and only during a hip-hop song, I noted how the bass didn’t go as low as the V6, but that is not a problem since my beloved V6s are always handy.

I finally know what controlled bass sounds like on a headphone, I hear every single note clearly, it begins and stops, never getting tangled with contiguous notes or with the bass drums. I’m listening to Slipknot right now and I just realized the drummer is better than I thought.
eek.gif

Older recordings sound just as engaging, first album I played this morning was "British Steel" and I was doing the Priest-stance with my imaginary KK and Glenn by my side. Don’t worry, no one was watching.
wink.gif

airguitar2.gif

-Attention newbies and lurkers: Don’t let my enthusiasm influence your purchase, maybe this headphone is not as cool as I think. My equipment is from Circuit City (oh blasphemy!) and my ears are corrupted by the dark forces of car audio.
basshead.gif

For real advice, please consult the experts.
To the rest of you, thanks for all the guidance you’ve all given me and for letting me share the enjoyment I’m deriving from this awesome pair of Rockin’-DJ cans.

Price: $160 is the lowest I could find.
Don’t buy it here: Crazy Price I have a feeling this model comes with a free xbox for the seller.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 60
It seems you are content with your purchase. Good for you!
You're one of the few head-fiers who struck gold on the first try. Let's just hope you don't get upgraditis too soon . . .

$479 . . . damn. Who the hell would fall for that?
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 60
Quote:

You're one of the few head-fiers who struck gold on the first try.

Hi Kirosia,
Thanks for the kind words, but this is headphone #8 for me. I still have 6 of them and I gotta sell some stuff soon.
My husband told me last night that I've spent a mortgage payment just on headphones.
eek.gif
...oops
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 60
I'm on headphone... lost count. I've had 3 (I think... easy to lose count in my case) HD25-1's previously, but let them go each time thinking I'd be upgrading. The more I buy other phones, the more I realise the HD25-1 is about the best value there is in a portable headphone... simply because there are precious few other phones out there which offer a better combination of portability, durability, practicality, sound quality, sound entertainment, efficiency and isolation.

(I've spent a Mercedes worth on headphones, let alone mortgage payments!!!)

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 60
Now all you have to do is contact Larry at Headphile.com and have him modify and recable your HD25-1. I did that, and the changes are very nice. More clarity, like looking through a clean window. Overall tone is more "open" and more Grado-like. You have to be a little bit more careful of the cable, but it's a great mod!

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 60
Consider picking up a pair of velour earpads for the HD 25; they make supra-aural a bit more tolerable for me!

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
Consider picking up a pair of velour earpads for the HD 25; they make supra-aural a bit more tolerable for me!

Where did you find such earpads for them?

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 60
Thanks for your impressions iGig!

As you know I'm interested in the HD25-1s too. And your comments are very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I understand you right you're saying that:

-They sound forward, yet not too bright.
-Less bass than V6s but more than 225s. Bass is tight.
-Good without amp but they improve nicely with amplification (on an Onkyo receiver)
-They are quite small and light.
-Don't fall of your head.

Does that sum it up correct?

Just one question. How is the clamping force? I suppose it needs some to isolate but is it not too much?

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Do you mean these?

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=069417

-edit-
Hope the link works.
I mean these
H-69417_zoom.jpg

#069417 or #69416 or #H-69417 That's a bit unclear to me...

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Where did you find such earpads for them?

Here!

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 60
Thanks Chinchy and nierika,
I didn't know you could upgrade the cable on these, but I'm planning on getting velour pads for both the HD25s and the V6s, just to make them look pimpish.
cool.gif

Thanks for the links!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
(I've spent a Mercedes worth on headphones, let alone mortgage payments!!!)

If you live in Southern California, that's about the same amount of money.
evil_smiley.gif

In all seriousness, I appreciate your comments. You are great at diagnosing and prescribing the right phones according to needs and budgets. It makes me feel like I'm done searching, at least when it comes to portables.

Next, I want to try the ATH-A500, A900 maybe?, then Senns HD600... I'll need an amp for that, might as well go for the DT770... you know how it goes. And if someone arranges a group buy for the HD650 (lol) I'll have to jump on that train as well.
redface.gif
But I swear I can stop buying headphones at any time. (Famous last words)
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
If I understand you right you're saying that:

-They sound forward, yet not too bright.
-Less bass than V6s but more than 225s. Bass is tight.
-Good without amp but they improve nicely with amplification (on an Onkyo receiver)
-They are quite small and light.
-Don't fall of your head.

Does that sum it up correct?

Just one question. How is the clamping force? I suppose it needs some to isolate but is it not too much?

Lisa, you summed it up quite nicely. Next time I write about headphones, I'll send it to you first and you can clean it up for me so it makes more sense.
wink.gif

The clamping force is perfect for me but I have a small head. Not loose at all, but not too tight either because I didn't feel discomfort at any time. They did get a little hot, but that was all my jumping around. The velour pads should help this.
My husband thought they were tighter than the Grados, but his head is bigger than mine. I hope that helps.

--------

Question for anyone...
Which is bigger? Sony CD780 or ATH-A900? <-- Those Sony's look huge on me, so I stopped looking in the mirror.
3000smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Here!

Shoot, those links didn't work. Is it part #069417?
I guess I'll call them tomorrow and ask.
Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
I’m listening to Slipknot right now and I just realized the drummer is better than I thought.
eek.gif

hehe...joey jordison is a very good drummer, but the fact that he's part of slipknot kind of degrates him considering there are what, 3 drummers in that band? O_o
biggrin.gif

(couldn't help but comment
580smile.gif
)

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangepanda
hehe...joey jordison is a very good drummer, but the fact that he's part of slipknot kind of degrates him considering there are what, 3 drummers in that band? O_o
biggrin.gif

(couldn't help but comment
580smile.gif
)

I don't know who's playing what... I started to look at their names and my eyes shifted to the freaky pictures.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Focus focus... yea! there it is! 2 percussionists and 1 drummer. hehehe...
biggrin.gif

Third time I listen to this album today.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back