HBO's "Game of Thrones"
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 150

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier

Based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series. It's fantastic. It's not without fault since it can come across as rushed in parts, but that's more because of the limitation of the medium rather than the fault of anyone involved with the show. The set pieces are magnificent and two episodes in, I can say that it's more or less in keeping with the tone of the novel.

Anyone else here watching this or a fan of the books?

(that opening sequence above is perfect, btw)

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 150
This series is my favorite work of fiction. I have mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand, I want to see this great story come to life visually. On the other, I can't help feeling that there will me lots of disappointment.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 150
 My mistake.   As long as they don't try to cram these epic novels into 2 hour movies, there's a chance that it'll be good.

I guess I'm still a bit cynical after the LotR movies.   So much of them was very good, but as much as Peter Jackson and the gang said they wanted to stay true to the books, some stuff simply made no sense at all.  They left out Tom Bombadil. I agree with that.  He didn't offer anything to the plot of the story and you have to make cuts somewhere. But, for example, the scene(s) in The Two Towers where Aragorn falls off the cliff into the river and his horse picks him up and carries him for like an hour it seemed, was completely and totally useless.

I don't want to beat that dead horse any more and I'll try to stay positive about the HBO production of my favorite books.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 150
Love the books (although I'm still skeptical that Martin will actually finish the series before he dies), but I don't have HBO to catch the shows.  Have to wait until they hit BR, I guess.

Much as I like Lena Headey, she doesn't seem quite the right choice for Cersei Lannister.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 150
Love the books (although I'm still skeptical that Martin will actually finish the series before he dies), but I don't have HBO to catch the shows.  Have to wait until they hit BR, I guess.

Much as I like Lena Headey, she doesn't seem quite the right choice for Cersei Lannister.

She's rockin' that role so far.

The casting choice I don't like is the actress that they got for Catelyn. Way too old and not as feisty for what I imagined.

George R. R. Martin is 62 and he just finished writing the 5th book. The first three book, he kind of breezed through since there was just a 2-year gap in between each of them. But the 4th and this upcoming 5th book took around half a decade each. Let's hope Martin lives past 70.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 150
I've never read the books but like the show so far, my only complaint... well two; is that it feels very TV-like, I don't get a sense of space, it feels very much like a closed in TV set. Second is the amount of sex, sure it might be important to tell the story but do we need to see it, can't it just be implied?

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 150
The books are great! I'm almost done with the 4th book.

But the story in the series seem a little rushed, more like a summary.
Things seems smaller than I imagined in the books, like Winterfell and the wall, just doesn't seem to give this great impression somehow.
Other than that, I love the actors, especially Tyrion.
Maybe not so much John, he for some reason has the wrong appearance imo.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 150
Yeah, I'd imagine she's doing great in the role, just her...as a blonde...not what I pictured Cersei as looking like.  Has the Hound been in any of the episodes yet?  He's about my favorite character in all of the books, and seeing his movie conversion should be interesting.

Supposedly, the fifth book had to undergo some major revisions due to a continuity error somewhere, or it would have been out about two years ago.  Not sure as to the truth of it, but I've seen it mentioned a couple times.

Quote:
Quote:

She's rockin' that role so far.

The casting choice I don't like is the actress that they got for Catelyn. Way too old and not as feisty for what I imagined.

George R. R. Martin is 62 and he just finished writing the 5th book. The first three book, he kind of breezed through since there was just a 2-year gap in between each of them. But the 4th and this upcoming 5th book took around half a decade each. Let's hope Martin lives past 70.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 150
Game of Thornes is another great series from HBO. I just watched the last part of their mini-series Mildred Pierce, Kate Winslet was excellent. I'm anxiously waiting for the return of Boardwalk Empire. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 150
I was actually hoping for more... The first two episodes have been rather boring. Hope it picks up a little in the action area.

May 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 150

Quote:
George R. R. Martin is 62 and he just finished writing the 5th book.

Well, he just posted on Thursday that A Dance With Dragons is finally finished, which is cutting it awfully close for a July release date. What I want to hear from him is why it took so long, Remember, the fourth book was essentially cut in half. When A Feast for Crows was published in 2005, Martin indicated the next book was already almost completed and that with a little luck, we would see it the following year. We're finally getting the next book almost six years later. And of course it didn't help that A Feast For Crows was lackluster at best. I didn't hate it like many readers did, but it certainly wasn't on the level of the first three books. A Dance With Dragons is now obviously more than the promised second half of the fourth book, which may or may not be a good thing.

As for the TV series, so far I'm satisfied with it except for some of the casting choices. The actors playing Robb and Jon look too old. Jon looks 27 instead of 17. Sansa looks older than she should be as well and it was indicated that Rickon is six. Danaery's character in the series is older but this was probably a necessary change since most people would have objected to watching a 13 year old having explicit sex. It will be interesting to see how the series pans out, especially as it gets into the later books. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up combining AFFC and ADWD into two seasons, otherwise there will be a couple of seasons where certain characters (at least the ones who are still left) don't appear. Let's just hope we actually see the books finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back