HBO's "Game of Thrones"
May 2, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 150
I'm liking the general feel of the show and the cinematography, but definitely the content feels more political than action or drama oriented... The drama that has been present so far hasn't been great overall.

The mystery surrounding those Predator-type-beings seem like a far more interesting side-story to explore, but I've been told it may be some time before actually get into those guys.

May 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #17 of 150
Saw the launch, I really like it....but I don't have HBO D:

May 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #18 of 150

Quote:
Quote:
Love the books (although I'm still skeptical that Martin will actually finish the series before he dies), but I don't have HBO to catch the shows.  Have to wait until they hit BR, I guess.

Much as I like Lena Headey, she doesn't seem quite the right choice for Cersei Lannister.

She's rockin' that role so far.

The casting choice I don't like is the actress that they got for Catelyn. Way too old and not as feisty for what I imagined.

George R. R. Martin is 62 and he just finished writing the 5th book. The first three book, he kind of breezed through since there was just a 2-year gap in between each of them. But the 4th and this upcoming 5th book took around half a decade each. Let's hope Martin lives past 70.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd imagine she's doing great in the role, just her...as a blonde...not what I pictured Cersei as looking like.  Has the Hound been in any of the episodes yet?  He's about my favorite character in all of the books, and seeing his movie conversion should be interesting.

Supposedly, the fifth book had to undergo some major revisions due to a continuity error somewhere, or it would have been out about two years ago.  Not sure as to the truth of it, but I've seen it mentioned a couple times.

I love Lena as well, and she's great for the role...except for the hair. The Lannisters are supposed to be golden, shiny, silky blonde and she just isn't blonde enough. Her hair looks dull and lifeless...doesn't have that sheen that I always pictured Cersie to have. The guy playing Jaime is doing a great job, however. The guy playing Tyrion was practically born for this role. He is superb.

I was disappointed in the Hound. He just seems way too fat and old for the character. They got the burns and the raspy voice down, but he has a belly...

May 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 150

Quote:
I've never read the books but like the show so far, my only complaint... well two; is that it feels very TV-like, I don't get a sense of space, it feels very much like a closed in TV set. Second is the amount of sex, sure it might be important to tell the story but do we need to see it, can't it just be implied?

Yeah... who wants to see all that sex and nudity? What a bummer.
eek.gif

May 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 150
I haven't read the books but I'm diggin' the show so far, it's right up my alley. I don't know if anyone here has read the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, but those would be great books to make into a mini series. It's been awhile since I read them but I recall how original I thought they were compared to so many books I'd read in that genre.

May 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #21 of 150
Is the Hound the guy in the background, in the clip earlier in this thread of Tyrion multi-slapping Tyrion?  If it is, I was thinking of someone a lot more grim and ugly looking, and physically larger (not fatter, but in the books, the Hound is a pretty huge dude).

Tyrion is good though, "...or I'll slap you again!"  Definitely going to be watching for this to hit bluray.

Quote:
I love Lena as well, and she's great for the role...except for the hair. The Lannisters are supposed to be golden, shiny, silky blonde and she just isn't blonde enough. Her hair looks dull and lifeless...doesn't have that sheen that I always pictured Cersie to have. The guy playing Jaime is doing a great job, however. The guy playing Tyrion was practically born for this role. He is superb.

I was disappointed in the Hound. He just seems way too fat and old for the character. They got the burns and the raspy voice down, but he has a belly...

May 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 150
Uhg!!! I missed the beginning of this so I have to wait to watch yersterday's episode until HBO decides to play the first two over again. 

May 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 150

Quote:
I think a midget getting banged by 4 busty sluts cheapens an otherwise decent show.

The book itself has a lot of sex, sexual scenarios and implications of nudity. Especially, in a "primal" setting such as that, I don't see how such a scene - that actually establishes certain aspects of Tyrion's character - cheapens the show. All of the sex and nudity in the show (which I actually feel was much more graphic in the book) has good context.

May 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 150
Don't get me wrong I don't mind the sex scene, it just seems like the show stops while it shows me some skin. As I say I haven't read the book, but did you imagine completely shaven busty women in wigs? For comparison I think the nudity in Boardwalk Empire feels real and flows with the movie, while explicit for TV I still feel like I'm in the 1920s.

May 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 150

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I don't mind the sex scene, it just seems like the show stops while it shows me some skin. As I say I haven't read the book, but did you imagine completely shaven busty women in wigs? For comparison I think the nudity in Boardwalk Empire feels real and flows with the movie, while explicit for TV I still feel like I'm in the 1920s.

I got the same vibe about the stopping to show me some nudity bit, I really think HBO is just tossing in breasts as pure filler... Really, they're take a boring conversation between two people and BAM breasts everywhere. I'm just getting jaded by the copious amount of breasts in HBO shows

May 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 150
Thank you for that clip!  I haven't watched the series yet since I just finally got back into Fantasy and after polishing off what Patrick Rothfuss has written so far I decided to dive into Game of Thrones and Tyrion is my favorite character.  A lot of the characters are too annoying for me, but Tyrion is a boss.  The way he slapped Joffrey like a boss was a worthy clip.  If this proves how great the rest of the show is, I'm definitely going to watch it once I've finished off the first 3 books in the series.

Quote:
So much win. LOL. Tyrion is f!@#$in' BOSS.

May 4, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 150
I think the guy he slaps is even better as a power hungry sadistic kid :)

May 4, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #30 of 150

Quote:

You got a point there. The show would seem more realistic if the naked chicks were sporting crazy medieval bushes. Although maybe the inhabitants of this particular fantasy world are a bit ahead of the curve when it comes to trim. We may just have to read the books to see if this tasteless display of booby flesh is in keeping with the story. I do agree with what you're saying regarding the comparison to Boardwalk Empire. Still, it's a pretty good show so far and I think it will get better in the coming weeks. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back