having trouble putting it into words . . .
Jan 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #16 of 41
For some folks it's the journey not the destination. For other it's the destination not the journey. I just wish the destination would stop changing.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #17 of 41
Jan 9, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard (as I am starting out) knowing just how my source fits in in the larger world here. When I bought it, it was the best cd player I could afford, and I really, really liked it sonically and in terms of the build quality, and it has served me well. But in the larger world, does it hold up as a decent source? It's hard to know. (Marantz CC-65SE).

Also, along the lines of making the journey and learning along the way, is there anywhere that explains in at least a rough way how things like amplifiers and DAC's work? I am interested in knowing more, but don't come from an engineering background. I am smart enough to understand stuff, and find myself wishing there was a section of head-fi that assist the curious in this way.

The Marantz should be totally servicable as a good source; Now the thing to do is to match that level of quality throughout an equally price/preformance system IE. amp $300 and $300 phones with $40 a pair I/Cs based upon your own research as to what others have mated up sucessfully...Look at signatures for hints, AND SEARCH FUNCTION works for questions such as: "What's an amp", and "What's a DAC"....Of course you could start another thread with those questions and the links to previous discussions would prolly be handed to you to point and click on, however the search function is the tool..

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, I think the most important thing is to define your goal as finding something that sounds good as opposed to finding the "best." The "best" is one of those fruitless, impossible searches like trying to find the meaning of life, truth or the "perfect" spouse. Someone wiser might know better than me, but the ultimate rig is a grail just like what I mentioned. You won't find it.

If you go in knowing that the "best" is a hopeless pipe dream, you can adjust your goal to "it sounds good." Sounding good is entirely different. Lots of gear sounds good. Actually, most of the stuff discussed here sounds good. And you'll end up at the other side of coin, which would be an overwhelming amount of choices.

So, how to go about it? I'd recommend setting a budget for headphones, an amp and source. Then read up on what falls in your budget and buy used. If you don't like it, you can usually get your money out.

Also, the road to knowing more is a good time. There's always something more to do or try, so it doesn't get old. And (of course) you get to talk about it here, which is half the fun.

could not have been said better. As with all hobbies like being an audiophile, the journey is half the fun!!! I have just started the journey myself somewhat recently but there are endless different combinations of equipment to try and like, and enjoy. The possibilities are truly endless.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 41
I recommend this book on audio: The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley. It explains the fundamentals of home audio and related technology in a very intelligent and concise way.

Two personal observations about my upgrade quest:

* Not all upgrades, in my case at least, were made to improve sound quality. Sometimes I sold a piece that sounded good because the ergonomics or even stye bugged me. I've also had to sell gear because I was worried about it getting damaged by my young children (or because it was damaged!). In other words, irrationality plays a role.

* Sometimes you don't realize how good your system is until you've sold it for the next "upgrade." For example, I still haven't found a system that matched my maxed MPX3 with NOS tubes and HD650s with Silver Dragon cables. I've stayed with the same source, but none of the amp/can/cable combinations I've tried since have allowed me to hear so far into the music (I could easily hear the shapes of recording rooms and the different tones of acoustic guitars, etc).

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #22 of 41
Ah yes, a very typical comment on Head-fi'ers' upgratites. While it's true that music IS the most important link in our music listening experience, you must also imagine how sweet it would be to listen to your favourite music in its finest or puriest form.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

After reading several recent threads, and after a few weeks of deciding on headphones followed by a few weeks of considering amps, I find myself asking a deep question. It seems as though many people here move through lots of different equipment in their journey, learning as they go and fine-tuning their ears along the way. While there is a greater expense to this model, it seems as though people actually refine their tastes and their listening skills doing this. It also seems as though something might be lost by skipping this process and jumping to the "best of all possible worlds," to quote Voltaire. Being an independent school music teacher, I don't have endless funds to devote to this hobby, which is really an extension of my greatest hobby and love, music itself. But, as an educator, I wouldn't want to miss out on learning experiences that could help to refine my already detail-oriented ears. These ears tell me a lot already, but I kind of think that I would be missing something if I were to skip the learning process and jump to a set up that I haven't earned through trial and error.

So, to the question: Do those of you who have experimented over the years with a variety of equipment feel that that journey has been worthwhile, or has it just been a frustrating struggle to find you knew you were looking for all along. I guess I am asking, If you knew then what you know now, would you make the same journey, or would you just jump to the best thing you could conceivably afford, given the advice of knowledgeable people you trust, and just be done?

I would love some feedback on this from all of you who have been here a while. I have read with great interest many posts and bits of advice you've offered, and have admired your commitment to finding and sharing what you love about music and its expression through high end audio equipment.

As a music teacher, you have the listening skills developed already. Your main choice of listening material would determine the system to build. If you listen to A-80% , don't worry about B-10% and C-10%. Thats where hi-end investments come in. I look for price range in the 80% level and start studying.

I would rather listen to the best sound my budget allows sooner. Upgrade should be for technological or financial considerations.

As for the journey, the road may be romantic with lots of scenic stops. If your young and have the desire to take a journey or want to teach others how to drive, take the side roads. If the goal is to enjoy the music, take the Interstate to your destination. You get to listen to more music the way you expect it to sound. IMHO
plainface.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 41
The turning point for me came when I realized that the only thing I care about in this hobby is enjoying the music. From that point on, musical enjoyment became the only criteria by which I judge components. If something interests me and is within my budget, I will buy it, use it for awhile (a few weeks at least, usually more), and then take stock and see if I enjoy my music more with it, or more with the component it replaced. If necessary I can switch back to the previous component for awhile.

I used to do lots of A/B, comparing components with each other in frequent and exhausting sessions. I worried endlessly about soundstage, detail, frequency response, etc, and often found myself replacing components with something that in A/B sessions sounded sonically superior, but ultimately made my music less enjoyable over the long term.

Since adjusting my philosophy, my system has become very enjoyable, and the main thing I'm concerned with is finding enough money to buy all of the music I have on my wish list. Plus, I know that my system will only become more enjoyable as it evolves in the future since that is the only criteria I will use to choose my components. So I would say that the journey is an essential part of the process for me.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #25 of 41
As always, there are strong points and valid ones on each side. I think I find myself asking questions about the headphone experience that can only be answered by listening to a variety. For example, there seems to be two schools of thought on whether the headphone experience can, or should, replicate the live music experience, or whether the headphone experience is in fact something unto itself. Choice of cans can obviously impact this perspective. Since I listen to lots of jazz, and particularly like great live recordings, this topic is of significant interest to me. As a choral and handbell director and composer, I also have a penchant for those live recordings and the energy they bring to my ears. I also have some background, however, in recording live events, so it's fun to experience the challenge of bringing a live event to recorded form in an exciting way. But, interestingly, the phones i use for recording are rather stark and sterile in comparison to what i prefer to use when kicking back to really enjoy music. I don't know if that even makes sense, but it works for me. Go figure. So, in a way, I find myself already on a journey, but am just trying to figure out whether I can fly first class or whether I should save some for later and fly coach for a while.

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I would rather listen to the best sound my budget allows sooner.

So would I, but since there are many amps around that fall into each price point, how can you determine which one is the best?

USG

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 41
Just some random thoughts on the subject.
I've been in this hobby for something like 30+ years now.
I enjoyed every minute of it and I certainly don't intend to stop.
I'm glad to be shure that finding the perfect solution is impossible.
Sound reproduction and music are two different things. I like them both and it is great to be able to combine them.
My life has been a lot more fun because of it.
That's about it I guess.
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 41
after all the blow by blow in the "Curse You" thread, I am definitely attached to my Tower of Power - every bit was lovingly and frustratingly tweaked and prodded together. But each step was indeed a learning process, and Head-Fi is a great place to pass on old gear and try out something else. Heck, if i just went "to the top" and got the "Home run" gear, it probably wouldn't look anything like my current rig (and it would cost 5 times as much!). It would probably sound awesome, but it wouldn't have gotten there using the same ideas and approaches i developed along the way. Heck, when I started I was all about the Graphic EQ and putting in "V" formation and letting it blast, baby! Now i'm totally off the EQ - and want the cans to blast on their own merit, hehe.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would I, but since there are many amps around that fall into each price point, how can you determine which one is the best?

USG

Review respected brand threads and comparisons for the price I am willing to spend. I want to be able to deal with the maker personally. The maker has to have some history with you guys. As for an amp, I am looking for the best quality power supply components, flexibility of op amp/tube rolling, lack of resale threads. I'll read reviews of selected amps with headphones I have or think I would like. I have learned here that a well built amp should be able to let the headphone and opamp/tube perform on it's own merits and not have a sound signature. If deciding between units after that, go to a meet/store for after hour listening.

My thoughts are to get a reliable, good portable, tube and SS amp. If I am allowed, one day I would also like to get a good stat system. That may be nieve, but I don't envy what others have. I will admire but not get hung up on the fact that I can't afford a better unit. I'll get mine and be happy with it. If I did my homework well, I will.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

So, in a way, I find myself already on a journey, but am just trying to figure out whether I can fly first class or whether I should save some for later and fly coach for a while.

My mixed $0.02 philosopy: Aim high, shoot for the stars at the same time, enjoy this hobby by working your way up an familiarizing yourself with the many various and different sounds, so that you may share with someone(s) common ground, and be able to bounce your thoughts and impressions off of others. Like learning a new instrument; learn it and move on to the next one, but once you find your groove, build around it. That's my approach and it has worked thusfar, maybe it will work for you.

Also, I've never had the opportunity to attend a meet, but there you will find a treasure chest full of different jewels; sample some of the many rigs, take notes and come away with good ideas to implement for you own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back