Having trouble... ATH-M50 vs. FA-003 vs. FA-011 vs. SRH840 vs. AH-D1100 vs...
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Circuitbender

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble deciding between the four headphones listed in the title. I've previously owned and loved a pair of HD555s, and if they were closed I would still have them. However, I can't live with open headphones, and need some isolation. My only current listening device is a pair of soundMAGIC PL50s, which are excellent, but I'm looking for some circumaural cans. IMO the PL50s have a very similar sound signature to the 555s, and are certainly quite neutral and natural sounding to my ears.

I have always stuck with this as it is the safe bet when choosing cans, however, this time around I definitely want something a bit more fun and lively. I would probably not mind a bit more bass impact and a bit more forward midrange, but the treble is pretty much where I want it, I think. I listen to quite a bit of music (in order of importance): rock/blues, electronic, jazz and classical (which are equally important to me).

I've tried the M50s and quite liked their fit and finish, but I found their sound signature a bit too mid-recessed and a bit too harsh on the treble. I've heard nothing but good things about the other cans in my title but, of course, have not heard any of them. Of course, if you think there is a better choice than any of these, feel free to suggest it, but keep in mind I do have a $200 budget. To aid in adding your opinion I've made a poll with these choices. I would appreciate it if you posted why you chose the pair you did, and not just voted for them.

As usual, your assistance is greatly appreciated and is always taken to heart. I know you guys get a million of these suggestion threads a day and I sincerely thank you for your help.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble deciding between the four headphones listed in the title. I've previously owned and loved a pair of HD555s, and if they were closed I would still have them. However, I can't live with open headphones, and need some isolation. My only current listening device is a pair of soundMAGIC PL50s, which are excellent, but I'm looking for some circumaural cans. IMO the PL50s have a very similar sound signature to the 555s, and are certainly quite neutral and natural sounding to my ears.

I have always stuck with this as it is the safe bet when choosing cans, however, this time around I definitely want something a bit more fun and lively. I would probably not mind a bit more bass impact and a bit more forward midrange, but the treble is pretty much where I want it, I think. I listen to quite a bit of music (in order of importance): rock/blues, electronic, jazz and classical (which are equally important to me).

I've tried the M50s and quite liked their fit and finish, but I found their sound signature a bit too mid-recessed and a bit too harsh on the treble. I've heard nothing but good things about the other cans in my title but, of course, have not heard any of them. Of course, if you think there is a better choice than any of these, feel free to suggest it, but keep in mind I do have a $200 budget. To aid in adding your opinion I've made a poll with these choices. I would appreciate it if you posted why you chose the pair you did, and not just voted for them.

As usual, your assistance is greatly appreciated and is always taken to heart. I know you guys get a million of these suggestion threads a day and I sincerely thank you for your help.

This would describe the Koss Pro DJ 100 perfectly, but they do have far more treble than the 555, but it's not a treble heavy headphone at all. The treble is slightly rolled off. I went from the M50 to the SRH-840, then the K240 Studio and then the DJ100. DJ100 is my favorite headphone that's closed under $200. It has a perfect balance of everything for me. It has a decent amount of bass (not bass heavy, but a step under that) and some forward sounding mids. Level of detail is very high and even better than the MDR-V6 an similarly priced headphones. Trebleheads might not like it. I don't suggest it without an amp like the $25 Fiio E5. It's totally worth it though.

With the E5 and the headphone, you'd only be spending under $105! M50 is a good headphone, but I just wanted more forward sounding mids and less bass. I only got rid of the SRH-840 because it's really uncomfortable, heavy and awkward to wear. It had good mids though. I loved it's sound signature, but not everyone will. It's not neutral, but more so than the M50 or the D1100.

Just as a warning, for me the D1100 is extremely bass heavy. Makes the M50 look bass light! It's the only headphone that actually made me shout obscenities with disgust! Probably because it also had the most annoying packaging in the entire world too. Took me like 10 hours to get it out of the box.

Here's a picture of the DJ100. I like the simple design. You can even upgrade it with the MDR-V6 or Pearstone Velour pads if needed. It even folds up.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 9
That's very interesting Tdock! I actually have built my own CMoys in the past and have another one on the way for just this sort of thing so for $80 that's certainly looking very attractive. Glad to hear there are velour pads available for them, as I can't get on with sticky, sweaty, pleather pads.

Certainly something I'll be looking into!

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Cool, I think we'd all be interested in knowing what you think when you get them. They should sound good with your CMOY amps. I've heard they're very good with the PA2V2. I really need to try that amp sometimes. I love my pair with the Total Airhead, but not as much with the E5, but it's not bad.

My first pair didn't need burn-in to sound good, but my second pair did to sound as good as the first. I actually blew up my first pair's driver up due to a mistake on my part!

I just recabled mine and it sounds even better now, but not worth the trouble really. I've been using mine every day for nearly a year now. Reminds me a little of the Sextett and some things about the HD-598 or even the K601!

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Just got my DJ100s, I really like the sound! Actually just was I was looking for. I don't like the pads though, I want something with a bit more squishiness. I know you recommend the Pearstone Velour pads, but was there a different pad you would recommend over that?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 9

I like the MDR-V6 pads with mine and they fully surround my ears since they stretch out a bit. I haven't found that they degrade the sound even slightly. The pads are oval and not round, but they fit and sound fine.

The Pearstone pads are nice too, but they made my ears hot after a few hours. B&H sells them. I got my Sony pads from Amazon. On B&H they're sold in pairs, but on Amazon you have to be careful about not accidentally ordering just one pad. It's easy to do!

I got mine for under $16 with free 2 day Amazon prime delivery.
Quote:
Just got my DJ100s, I really like the sound! Actually just was I was looking for. I don't like the pads though, I want something with a bit more squishiness. I know you recommend the Pearstone Velour pads, but was there a different pad you would recommend over that?

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 9
i chose the shure srh840 as they have a flat frequency response and have a little bit more bass then your standard cans, i find they perform well with the following genres and classical sounds good with them, i don't listen to much classical but i tried it, and rock is pretty good to. all around i think they are good even though i was harsh on them, just keep in mind they are unforgiving of badly recorded tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back