Having more than one set of headphones to listen to is awesome.
Apr 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CDBacklash

1000+ Head-Fier
For many of you I am sure it is nothing new...
But I've been without my own pair of headphones for a long time and now thanks to a donation of my friend and also a prize from sleestack, I have two.
I have been listening to the DT770 exclusively for a while and became a little bored with its sound.
Having spent a few hours with the ER-4P and swapping back to the 770 I can now reappreciate the fun presentation and "in the club" sound it presents, as well as appreciate the more-neutral presentation of the ER-4. I cannot wait to get a third pair.
I love this hobby...

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 18
I on the other hand appreciate my older headphones less the more I listen to my new ones, I guess thats just how things are on head-fi; you experience things one way, I experience they differently!

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 18
That's why you should pick cans that are on the same playing field as each other relatively speaking.

Perhaps two cans that you really like but with totally different presentation.

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I on the other hand appreciate my older headphones less the more I listen to my new ones, I guess thats just how things are on head-fi; you experience things one way, I experience they differently!

I actually have the same experience to an extent. It was fun playing around w/ different brands they give you each house sound and they work best with different stuff. In the end I had to rationalize my inventory to use. I am now down to with one open and one closed can for home and a closed can for travelling. This lessens the my guilty feeling of not tending to other cans. At one point i had 6.
redface.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 18
Having more than one presentation on hand certainly does make listening more interesting, and the broader the spectrum of presentations that is available to you, the better your understanding of sound becomes.

I'm more of a headphone monogamist. I just want one pair for primary stationary use that sounds the way I want, and one pair for portable use that has a similar sound signature. But mainly that's because I already found the sound that I want after having gone through a lot of different headphones, and don't need the diversity anymore.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 18
I love having multiple headphones as well. Sometimes an open, lush, spaciously wide, bass-neutral presentation is needed, and sometimes I want a closed, close-by, somewhat dry yet bass-heavy presentation. Excellent to have both.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 18
It is indeed!
biggrin.gif

Allowing you to choose 'phones for different music, mood, season, location, temperature, ...

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm more of a headphone monogamist. I just want one pair for primary stationary use that sounds the way I want, and one pair for portable use that has a similar sound signature. But mainly that's because I already found the sound that I want after having gone through a lot of different headphones, and don't need the diversity anymore.

Same here. I like to have one "ultimate" setup that I like best. That's why I sell all equipment I don't use to friends.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 18
Having headphone or in my case, earphones, that have vastly different sound signatures defiantely broadens your knowledge of products and your perception of sound.

Everything from bass anemic, thin sounding but musical (Head-direct RE2) to bass heavy anemic highs (Denon c551), in your face vocals (Denon c751) to very laid-back sound signature (Jays s-Jays). The sub US$100 market (the biggest market in headphones from a marketing perceptive), has a lot to offer in terms of different sounds.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes, being able to listen to more than one headphone is pretty cool. Even though all of my headphones are pretty much mid-fi, I still appreciate the differences between each one. Before Head-Fi, I never thought I would own more than one pair at once... Damn Head-Fi. lol

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Actually I'm a bit afraid to buy a new pair - I love my K601, but just like I haven't used my HD595 for music and movies (they've been relegated to PC duty, where they don't get much if any use most days) since I bought the AKG, I fear the same thing will happen the next time I'm tempted to try out a new pair.
And I actually almost ended up with the HD650 this month, but I convinced myself to spend the money on a DAC instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Different sound signatures or not, I have a feeling I would just end up always using the one I would consider my overall favourite.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could just buy one headphone that does everything better, rather than several cheaper phones. I think once you get several of each type you've got a problem.

Agreed. It's good to acquire multiple, contrasting headphones temporarily to really discover what your tastes are, but once that's done, I think it makes little sense to hold on to all of them. It's part of the journey, but not the endpoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miths /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different sound signatures or not, I have a feeling I would just end up always using the one I would consider my overall favourite.

Nothing wrong with this, that's mainly the point of getting multiple headphones of the same "class" IMHO.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 18
I don't see anything wrong with having different headphones that excels in different things. I don't think there's any headphone that's a perfect all-rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back