Having more than 1 IEM, is there a point?
Nov 25, 2018 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Van Gogh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have only 1 IEM now, Beyerdynamics AK T8iE Mk II.
I love this IEM but I am starting to get bored with the same sound signature going into my 3rd year already and want to switch it up...

So I was thinking of buying another IEM, a custom one this time to try custom IEM vs universal. (Either Emire Ears Phantom or the A64 A18, but that's not the question).

My question is do some of you guys have multiple IEM's? Do you find value in having multiple IEM's?
If you have multiple IEM's, do you just switch listening in between them depending on mood or you just sell/store/give away your least favorite?

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 21
It’s actually really important to have multiple IEMs. Some would believe it is needed to fully listen to different musical genres in the optimal fashion. And while I tend to agree that could be true, having multiple IEMs can also help you to appreciate each IEM themselves. The sound signatures reflect off each other and reinforce the better points offered by each by showing reference.

It’s also a way of making the hobby more interactive. You may find you have favorite morning IEMs and favorite night IEMs. If anything the collection can help you to hear. Each IEM has good and bad points which can be noted daily if so inclined; though most likely a person could only listen to three a day maybe?

Still it’s probibly an addictive habit to buy way too many, and too many is purely a personal idea. Too many or too few is only judged by the individual owner.

You end up liking different ones for their strong points, and go into a phase where you only listen to one for awhile. Also your idea of them can change with different opinions of how they sound never being consistent over time.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 21
Custom IEMs are hard to resell.

If you want to get many pairs of IEMs and will switch often, I recommend buying used.

It is difficult to keep too large a collection of IEMs, I have found that realistically I will gravitate towards one pair and occasionally switch to use a second pair. Anything more for me just gathers dust.

If possible, try not to buy blind without having a chance to listen first. I know that may be hard, but having a chance to compare multiple IEMs side-by-side is an invaluable experience

For me personally, I have sold off most of the IEMs I do not use and have a goal of only keeping 1-3 IEMs at a time. I have gotten burned a lot buying based on reviews/impressions, so I will wait until I can demo or buy from a place with good return policy.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 21
It’s really a risk to buy without listening first. I can maybe only think of one IEM I have purchased with out trying first.

Another concept is the idea of complementary IEMs. Even if you prefer having a very specific sound signature, there is nothing wrong with trying different sound signatures. You may learn that the different signatures offer a new way to hear certain genres of music. Also you may find space emotionally to actually accept two favorite sound signatures. One will always be the main one, but you may harbor an exploratory signature for a time.

We always read about folks being able to tolerate more treble than they thought, or more bass than expected. Part of this hobby is learning. If anything your complementary IEM will reinforce what sound you already know you like.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 21
The point is, it is a hobby. Ask a jigsaw puzzle hobbyist if they need more than one puzzle. Or ask one RC car enthusiast if they need more than one car even if they have a top one. :)

Not the same logic as things you need in daily life like a recliner, refrigerator, or even a TV.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 21
For me it is application dependent. I use an open, non-isolating IEM for the office, because it has the best sound. I use a closed, isolating IEM for noisy environments like aircraft. I use a bluetooth IEM for running.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 21
The point is, it is a hobby. Ask a jigsaw puzzle hobbyist if they need more than one puzzle. Or ask one RC car enthusiast if they need more than one car even if they have a top one. :)

Not the same logic as things you need in daily life like a recliner, refrigerator, or even a TV.

Well that makes sense, having anything more than 1 IEM makes it more of a hobby collection thing rather than because of "necessity".

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Well that makes sense, having anything more than 1 IEM makes it more of a hobby collection thing rather than because of "necessity".

I agree with Mikey99. I have my VE Biggies that I like using in bed cause they're low profile. I'm planning on getting Etys for work cause of the isolation, and isine20 in the mail for open back.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 21
I agree with Mikey99. I have my VE Biggies that I like using in bed cause they're low profile. I'm planning on getting Etys for work cause of the isolation, and isine20 in the mail for open back.

Yes I can understand why people would want 1 IEM for office, one for workouts and 1 for home listening.
But I am talking about having say 2 IEM's for on the go listening or 3 IEM's for home listening lol

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 21
Yes I can understand why people would want 1 IEM for office, one for workouts and 1 for home listening.
But I am talking about having say 2 IEM's for on the go listening or 3 IEM's for home listening lol
3 for home i understand, you will have different tonality to choose from for different types of music, but on the go you will need more of a bass heavy in ear, the noise will eat up a lot of bass and if you go with neutral they will sound bass light at the end

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 21
I have several sets of both items and headphones. I find it useful since I listen to a broad spectrum of genres and certain sets are a better match for a style of music than others. I also use a more laid back headphone for closer to when I go to bed or to unwind for example, I don’t want to listen to a relentless jh16 or Roxanne... then there is work and isolation, vs open at home. It’s fun to try out some of the higher end stuff because you can always turn around and sell them here...

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 21
A lot of the riddle is fully understanding what sound you like. It’s safe to say a good portion of new members are just leaning that. It’s also a mystery why some like a particular sound. 30 years ago a buddy built speakers and was first listening to them with the tone controls all at noon. Even then I thought they sounded better with the bass knob at 3 o’clock and the treble knob at 3 o’clock. So I was adding a V signature to the sound in the end. My buddy liked his speakers to sound as transparent and flat as possible.

Many guess that sound signature preferences come what you are used to, or what style of music you like; but in many ways it’s always unanswered and a profound mystery why we have treble heads, bass heads and flat heads?

Much of the time we may get a new IEM with adjustable bass, but try and tune it as close as possible to flat after we notice areas which become covered over by low end.

Amazingly while on the learning curve; having a couple different IEMs helps to learn what you like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back