Having more than 1 IEM, is there a point?
Feb 10, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 21
I owned a Sony IER-M9, which is awesome for me and i can definitely call it "End Game". But since the M9 has reference signature, i want another cheap IEM for more relax and fun sound, that's why i choose ibasso IT01s, this guy is amazing.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #18 of 21
Any decent iem will sound different, and hence, reveal different aspects of music. Even though I have equalized my UM Mavericks to my personal neutral, I still enjoy the occasional metal album with my TF pros. I have prophile-8 which I use as bluetooth with a puresound bt cable. I have have sony 800st for bass capability. And, I ordered a Moondrop Blessing because I wish to experiment further with hybrids, since the Mavericks are so great, esp with eq. Experiment and enjoy....

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #19 of 21
I bought used stuff early on based on what I’d read. Once you get one, like your Beyers, now you have start point. Enjoyment following the tech info and trying latest tech is my thing. Coming from musical background at first I liked low end thump and defined kick drums. Now I’m finding I like detail and layering with bass being less important......and on and on......I couldn’t pick and keep like 2, I have way too much trying new ones.
Have fun, enjoy the music!

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 21
I have one "expensive" IEM which is the RHA T20, and I have multiple "cheaper" IEMs that I use for the gym, travelling or any other situations that I don't want to risk expensive gear.
Most of the cheaper IEMs I have are a result of chasing "bang for your buck" sound on a budget.
I am aware that I already have too many IEMs which is why I am reluctant to buy anymore now and have started giving my cheaper sets that I don't use away to friends and family members (after cleaning them, obviously).

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #21 of 21
For me it is application dependent. I use an open, non-isolating IEM for the office, because it has the best sound. I use a closed, isolating IEM for noisy environments like aircraft. I use a bluetooth IEM for running.
Same here. I have iems for different purposes:

1. A technically high performing iem for critical listening

2. A beater iem that came with my phone that has a mic for usage convenience with my phone for conversations, and no need for charging the battery

3. True Wireless ( 2 separate pieced iem) that I take to the gym because when you are jogging, you can yank the cable and cause damage (which I already did to my phone's screen).

Other than that I don't see any reason to keep any more than 2-3 as well since I dont' like to switch iems unless for practical purposes in usage scenarios. I'm also into full-sized headphones, so they get lots of listen time. Anyway, I don't have so much time for too many iems and headphoned. Just keep the oned I know I will be put to use.

I use iems due to the practical nature in the office as my custom's total seal of ambient noise during work, and being portable. For home listening I use open-backs, and I also don't like wearing bulky headphones in public.

I think a 4th that should be on the list is ANC (active noise cancelling) headphones for flight and noisy situation. That seems quite practical to have.

So I have headphones for practical applications, and also for critical listening as well (since I'm also an audiophile).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back