Having a hard time picking out a nice pair of headphones,
Apr 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

feetonice

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I'm pretty new to the headphone scene and I'm hoping a few of you guys could give me a few suggestions and recommendations. I've been searching around for a *long* time and picked up a few headphones which I thought would work for me, but I've been unable to find anything that I've been happy with.

A majority of the time I listen to a lot of hip-hop, r&b, pop, rock and as of late I've been getting into a lot of house and dance music. It's a relatively large mixture of music that I listen to and I've come to the conclusion that I probably need more than one pair of headphones to listen to them all properly. Currently, my music listening setup is pretty poor at best. I listen to a majority of my music through my computer, I have a $30 Best Buy Rocketfish sound card and some $20 Logitech speakers. The other way I listen to my music is my iPhone.

Here are a list of headphones that I've tried out over the course of a year or so.

In Ears - Probably won't ever find a good pair of in ears, I don't like the feeling in my ear and they seem to rattle a bit. They're probably just not my style, but I just wanted to give you guys a reference.
Bose IE2
Bowers and Wilkins C5
Monster iBeats
Monster Tours

Noise Canceling - I found that the frequency that they put out the cancel out the sound is a bit disorientating to me. I don't like them at all.
Monster Beats Studios
Sony MDR-NC60
Bose QC15

On ear - I really enjoy the style of these type of earphones, but the ones I've tried didn't cup my ear the way I wanted to.
Bowers and Wilkins P5
Bose OE

Currently I'm using some nice AKG K550s. While I really do like they style and netural sound, I realized that a majority of the music I listen to require some more punch in the bass department. I'm more than likely only going to be using this at home. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 13
What is your budget?

I suggest going to the Denon AH-D2000.  They are a great sounding headphone.  They sound a little heavier in the bass, but remain flat to 2kHz which is a huge plus and gain in fidelity.

I think you will be amazed at how nice they sound.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 13
ESW9. Very punchy and detailed. Like you, when I've hade enough of my (most awesome) neutral K701, ESW9 is the bad boy I tend to.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

Heya,

M-Audio Q40
Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT990

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to see if my local audio store has these on demo. If not I might just have to go on Amazon!

I see that the Denon was suggested before so I'm probably going to check that out first. Is there one on particular which you suggested that I should try out first?

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to see if my local audio store has these on demo. If not I might just have to go on Amazon!

I see that the Denon was suggested before so I'm probably going to check that out first. Is there one on particular which you suggested that I should try out first?

I would focus on the Hifiman HE-400, Denon D200 and Beyer DT770.

Very best,

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
What is your budget?

I suggest going to the Denon AH-D2000.  They are a great sounding headphone.  They sound a little heavier in the bass, but remain flat to 2kHz which is a huge plus and gain in fidelity.

I think you will be amazed at how nice they sound.

+1

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 13
I can as well!  Unfortunately, from what I've read around the forums, the Pioneers have nice mids, but highs and lows are lacking.  Other than that, I haven't heard much about them, other than the build quality is quite good.  :frowning2:  Anyone else?

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Oh! Apparently I can get the Pioneer SE-MJ591 for a pretty nice discount. What's the consensus on this little guy?

I would jump on that as my only complaint about the SE-MJ591 is the price point.  Other than the price, I am quite taken with this little guy - especially as a pair of travel cans.

The overall sound profile is balanced and poised - nothing exagerrated, nothing sorely lacking.  Lows are not quite as deep as I would personally like, but their tightness and punchy-ness makes up for it.  This means that I don't feel like I'm missing much in my Ibiza and chillout sessions.  The transition from lows through mid-bass to mids is sweet and full - perfect for all those times Ennio tugs at the heartstrings.  The mids are fairly lush and expressive.  I won't get into sordid details but let's just say that my on-again-off-again love affairs with Kate Pierson and Kay Hanley can continue unabated.  The highs have (for me) just the right amount of clarity and sparkle without being shrill and piercing.  I do wish it were just a tad brighter with a bit more sibilance, but I can easily live with it the way it is.

The build quality is absolutely fantastic.  Hinges are strong and secure, and yet silky smooth.  Materials are (with few exceptions) top notch.  Fit and finish are impeccable.  And for me, the design style is right up my alley.  Not old and stuffy, but not distractingly "urban" either.  And even though their supraaural, I found the ear pads surprisingly comfortable and well-sealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back