Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Aug 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #2,102 of 2,486
My advice with the B3 is give yourself a solid week to adjust. Don't use any other earphones during this time. I felt the same way initially since most of my earphones have generous quantities of bass. The B3 seemed lifeless down there.

After giving myself some time to become accustomed to their unique presentation, I realized the bass is there, it's just far from emphasized.

To me the B3 is not the kind of earphone that blows you away on first listen. They have an acquired signature that only gets better with time.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,103 of 2,486
My advice with the B3 is give yourself a solid week to adjust. Don't use any other earphones during this time. I felt the same way initially since most of my earphones have generous quantities of bass. The B3 seemed lifeless down there.

After giving myself some time to become accustomed to their unique presentation, I realized the bass is there, it's just far from emphasized.

To me the B3 is not the kind of earphone that blows you away on first listen. They have an acquired signature that only gets better with time.

Understand. Actually I used it in company with IE80. I appreciate both of them, one make me excited, one calm me dowm. haha
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,105 of 2,486
My attempt at recabling (probably, this is one of the ugliest looking diy from a headfi member
tongue_smile.gif
) a hardly used, 2 years old (dead for the last 6 months, with multiple areas of cable tear, from strain relief to audio jack) Havis. These were never my favt sound signature (used use it very rarely and mostly with Topping NX1 and Fiio X1 LO) but still wanted to give a shot at changing the cables (btw, i have never done any sort of soldering work before and this is my first attempt) to see if these still worked. I couldn't find a heat shrink tube hence used hot glue as kinda strain reliever (with a cable knot just outside the shell). The cable that I have used is of 4 US$ from Aliexpress.

Initially, one side of the driver (left) didn't produce any sound, have to desolder and resolder the cable in that to make it work. Finally, both the sides worked. It is still not my favt type of signature (I like a bit more body to music with some sub-bass) but I am happy that my Havis are in functioning mode again 
beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2,107 of 2,486
Nice congrats!! Always better to have a functional earphone than a non functional just laying in a drawer.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

This attempt has given me some confidence in doing recabling (and also in regards to soldering things) of some of my other older non-working stuff (Denon A-HD 1001, Soundmagic PL30 etc).

Have few replacement cables (different sizes of heatshrink tube) coming through the slow boat from China, will try to attempt few more DIY stuff 
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,109 of 2,486
Was it any hard? I baby my gear so they don't need to be racabled ever but you know...

Nope, it is not difficult (even for a first timer like myself). It's pretty straightforward thing (followed picture instructions on disassembly of Havis by @Baycode from the original Havi thread). I too give great care to my audio gears. Havis were an exception, though. I barely used them in the last 2 years (maybe 20 times at the most, that too in indoors). Still, the cables crapped out on me.

All of sudden the cable developed cracks at many points (could be my region's climate, always hot and humid here) and I had kept them idle. Only in the recent times, I have started thinking of recabling them (taking inspiration from an FB pic of Indonesian modder who specializes in recabling Edifier H180 buds). Thought, I should try this. Luckily for me, it worked out (albeit in a not so pleasant looking fashion) in the end.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,112 of 2,486
Good to see people are still digging these great iems.

They were my first "audiophile" iems when I was sent some for free on here. Used them every day until they broke then was recommended the CKR9's which I've been using every day for the last year. They are still working great but now I feel I want something more...

Is there any rival to the Havi in terms of 3D presentation these days? I love the sheer power and dynamism of the CKR9's but they don't have that 3D quality and are a bit "blurry".

Btw on the subject of bass for the Havi's I found that this came down to which tips I used. The sponge tips gave much more bass and lower mids presence at the cost of 50% of the awesome clinical 3D placement. I kept switching back and forth in the time I used the Havi's because I wanted both, but this just wasn't possible with any of the tips I had. It may be different for someone with smaller earholes than me as I really needed the sponges for best fit and isolation.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,113 of 2,486
Good to see people are still digging these great iems.

They were my first "audiophile" iems when I was sent some for free on here. Used them every day until they broke then was recommended the CKR9's which I've been using every day for the last year. They are still working great but now I feel I want something more...

Is there any rival to the Havi in terms of 3D presentation these days? I love the sheer power and dynamism of the CKR9's but they don't have that 3D quality and are a bit "blurry".

Btw on the subject of bass for the Havi's I found that this came down to which tips I used. The sponge tips gave much more bass and lower mids presence at the cost of 50% of the awesome clinical 3D placement. I kept switching back and forth in the time I used the Havi's because I wanted both, but this just wasn't possible with any of the tips I had. It may be different for someone with smaller earholes than me as I really needed the sponges for best fit and isolation.

I don't think you can get such an 3D sound at this price. Why don't you get another B3? It's less than $50 on aliexpress.
KEF M200 has better 3D presentation, better bass, better treble, better imaging, more detail, larger soundstage, brighter sound signature. But it's not fit for everyone, it has very large ear channels. IE80 has better 3D presentation, but bass touched middle and too picky for source and files.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,114 of 2,486
@yangian thanks for the recommendations. The ie80 is def a bit expensive for my tastes at nearly £300 here! The Kef sounds interesting tho it doesn't sound like a great option for those who wear glasses like myself...I'll keep looking into it.

I couldn't go back to the compromise between bass/mid presence and soundstage with the Havi after having used the CKR9's all this time: they have supernaturally quick, responsive bass plus they don't require an amp. Most folks were able to get good Havi results with particular tips but that just never worked out for me.

I guess I'd like the best of both worlds but I don't think that's possible really. I think you've confirmed what I expected: no-one has made a "better Havi" in the last year. I remember they announced a sequel (not v2) but I guess that got stuck in development hell! :devil_face:

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,115 of 2,486
@yangian thanks for the recommendations. The ie80 is def a bit expensive for my tastes at nearly £300 here! The Kef sounds interesting tho it doesn't sound like a great option for those who wear glasses like myself...I'll keep looking into it.

I couldn't go back to the compromise between bass/mid presence and soundstage with the Havi after having used the CKR9's all this time: they have supernaturally quick, responsive bass plus they don't require an amp. Most folks were able to get good Havi results with particular tips but that just never worked out for me.

I guess I'd like the best of both worlds but I don't think that's possible really. I think you've confirmed what I expected: no-one has made a "better Havi" in the last year. I remember they announced a sequel (not v2) but I guess that got stuck in development hell!
devil_face.gif

Maybe you can ask people here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/33795#post_12834746

There are lots of Chinese phones over there, many hybrids. Many of them are cost-effective.They may give some good suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back