Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Jun 28, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,998 of 2,486
Sorry for the double post but I have found a worthwhile companion for the Havi B3 Pro 1, the Zorloo ZuperDAC - which retails for 74 USD.

Here are my impressions which I have posted in other threads, but I also wanted to add that the Havi just SINGS out of this bad boy. It does have an output impedance of 4 ohm FYI. But god DAMN the Havi is SEXY AF out of the ZuperDAC.

ZuperDAC
== Unboxing & Initial Impressions ==
 ​
 ​
The ZuperDAC is a very portable amp/dac from Zorlooa small outfit out of Hong Kong. A big thanks to the fine folks at Zorloo for giving me a chance to check these bad boys out! 

Unboxing the ZuperDAC

​
Initial Impressions

Been playing with the ZuperDAC for the better part of the day and I wanted to post my thoughts on them so far. 
It comes in a rather no fuss box, very tastefully adorned but suitably tough to protect the delicate innards. Upon unboxing it , you are greeted by the product sheet and the goods front and centre. And oh my what a sight to behold. They are literally at the same color as my laptop!

In the hands it feels smooth in texture and construction and clearly no shortcuts were taken with the build quality - clearly all your money is going towards the dac itself, not some fancy packaging you are bound to forget about anyway. For a device of this footprint, it has a surprising weight to it, and I mean that in the best way possible. This does not feel like a cheap toy at all. This is meant to be a serious device for the discerning listener.

For macs (lol whats an audio driver?
cool.gif
) it is as simple as plug and play. A little LED turns on indicating the DAC is engaged. Unlike some other dacs I have use, this unit has yet to get exceedingly hot after me pushing them hard for some time. Again these are early days yet, but thus far these seem to be very well engineered. I am definitely impressed by the thought that has gone into it's design construction. 

So.... they look good and feel good, but how do they sound?

Honestly I just received these today and I don't know if I have enough hours on these to comment on them definitely. But here is the thing - my daily drivers are the FiiO X7 and LH Geek Out V2, and listening to the ZuperDAC, I don't feel I am getting a massive downgrade or that I am missing out on anything and thats what surprised me the most....

In fact, I found myself actually listening and enjoying my music rather than attempting to dissect every detail and evaluate every aspect of the sound. But I will say that the ZuperDAC is very natural sounding with a very musical character to it. Does that mean its rolled off and bassy? Of course not! It sports a natural, detailed and engaging sound with impressive resolution, but more so - it has this addicting and effortless sound signature that has me digging through my music collection to test my favourite tracks. You might think these have that traditional sabre glare, but so far it hasn't reared its ugly head yet. In fact, it has a rather nice and full natural bass response compared to the relatively anemic FiiO X7 and Geek Out V2.

Overall, no glaring weakness or downsides from my initial listening hours. But lordy am I getting a kick out of listening to them. I was initially going to do a comparison with my other dacs (FiiO X7, E17K, LH Geek Out V2 and SMSL M3).  However that plan went right out the window the moment I plugged in my Havi B3 Pro 1 and loaded up my favourite track, which at the moment is We are the ones to fall by Santa Monica.

If You can't tell already, I am absolutley smitten by how the ZuperDAC sounds and my first impression is that it sounds as capable as my higher end gear, but it adds that touch of musically that my other gears lacking, relatively speaking of course. I did notice however that I had to push the volume near its limit to drive stuff like my 320 ohm VE Zen 1, so I do wish this unit had more headroom in terms of volume. Then again we are talking about something the size of a USB thumbstick so it's not a deal breaker either.

Am I saying that it beats my top end stuff? No, of course not, more so because I honestly haven't had the time to properly A/B against all my toys yet. Frankly, I am having way too much fun with the ZuperDAC and the hard work can wait till later :p

For now, I am off to musical bliss: 

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,999 of 2,486
You cant just drop that and not sy anymore about that. Was it worth it? I might consider it for real. would love to read your thoughts about it!

I think I did mention somewhere else. The sound doesn't change much. But for me I couldn't understand all the positive reviews around havi b3 for year and half because with stock shape I couldn't get proper fit. It sounded hollow and highs were grainer.
After reshell, now I agree with all the reviews , soundstage, imaging, etc.

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,000 of 2,486
I think I did mention somewhere else. The sound doesn't change much. But for me I couldn't understand all the positive reviews around havi b3 for year and half because with stock shape I couldn't get proper fit. It sounded hollow and highs were grainer.
After reshell, now I agree with all the reviews , soundstage, imaging, etc.

I am sold. You had me at reshell :p  Where and how do I get it done? :)  I can get ear impressions made from an audiologist I know. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,002 of 2,486
  Yes these do have depth and pin point imaging , its quiet unique. Reshell needs to match the original design of rear vent. So any one who does reshell will have to keep that in mind and match original sound. Mine were made here
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/4875#post_12680211

Ah did you make it yourself or someone there did? Sorry I am not familiar with that thread 
redface.gif

I am thinking I might buy another havi and get it reshelled no joke. Any help would be appreciated!

Also wow the synergy between the Havi B3 Pro 1 and ZuperDAC is just breath taking! 

This song was rendered so full of emotion, so musical yet to technical! This song just shows what they two combined can do

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,008 of 2,486
> Also wow the synergy between the Havi B3 Pro 1 and ZuperDAC is just breath taking!

Tamal, you're gonna get me digging out my havi's!

Edit: done. And yup, they sound awesome off of the zuperdac :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,009 of 2,486
So there's this new IEM on the block, the TFZ Series 5. Anyone have any impressions with it? Any comparisons against the Havi? Because, I'm tempted to pull the trigger.
Same form factor, top offering from TFZ, similar price to Havi, Series 3 being more closely priced, etc etc.
The Dunu/Fiio doesn't seem too interesting because of form factor, and I KIIINDA want to give IEMs a chance again.

Any thoughts?

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,010 of 2,486
  Please @RedJohn456 , tell us if you come out with anything. I have one that is in the same condition (very large crack) and don't know what to do to make it work again. Going CIEM would be awesome!

I am gonna have to look into getting it reshelled, just dont know where to start and I dont have the knowhow to create one myself haha. But I agree, a CIEM version would be bonkers.

> Also wow the synergy between the Havi B3 Pro 1 and ZuperDAC is just breath taking!

Tamal, you're gonna get me digging out my havi's!

Edit: done. And yup, they sound awesome off of the zuperdac :)

What did I tell ya Wayne? :wink:  It sounds more pleasing to me that any other combo I have tried with the Havi B3 Pro 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back