Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,351 of 4,032
It helps, thank you! :) 

How do these Havi compare against the yamaha eph100? As these are my current IEMs, I'll have a more precise Idea on how these perform both SQwise and hardwarewise.

I actually have had both! I have the Havi now; I sold my EPH-100 to my dad. The EPH have way more bass, actually a little too much for me. The Havi's have a fairly light amount even with amping, and I would say you need an amp to get enough power/even better sound out of them. An amp would also make it hard to run with now that I think about it...
The Havi's have brighter mids than the lush forward ones of the EPH; though they are both forward. Also, the Havi have much more treble energy, and you don't have to listen for details as much to know they are there compared to the EPH.
The EPH have laid-back, overly smooth treble that I don't particularly like, even though I am pretty upper mid/treble sensitive, and they had a litte too much bass for me. And I like my bass :wink: That combination and the mildly uncomfortable fit made me sell them.

Do you use your EPHs for running now or are you looking for a running iem?

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,352 of 4,032
  My Havi arrived this afternoon.

So far I'm really pleased with them straight from Studio V, best of all they don't hiss at all with the Hisound player. I'm going to let them run in for a while to let the drivers settle though using Heir tips the soundstage, separation, imaging and detail are quite obvious strong points of these earphones. 

They sound really open in width from left/right and the instrument separation is really apparent.

I'll report back later on though so far more than pleased with what I'm hearing! 

beerchug.gif

Good to hear this
wink_face.gif

I, myself, wouldn't use them for running as they are kinda large and not really an on-the-move iem. There build quality is pretty good though! They are more enjoyable sitting and relaxing. The fit is a little bothersome for me, and I personally would use something more comfortable & smaller or more secure for running like the Meelectronics M6(Joker's recommendation), or the Philips SHE3590, or even the pretty new TTPOD T1-E. 
That said, they might work and are pretty great from a technical, SQ standpoint, way better than the M6 or SHE3590. Someone else like Baycode or another can back me up or possibly refute me.

Hope it helps! 
smile.gif

I use only my Meelec AI-M6 for sports like MTB, running, trekking, etc (It doesn't block the outside noise completely so this is also good), and while swimming I use a H2O Audio iem which is specifically designed for this purpose
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,353 of 4,032

beerchug.gif

Good to hear this
wink_face.gif

More than pleased are words that come to mind, I'm debating which I like more, DX50 headphone out or with an amp. Though I'm impressed especially with the synergy on the iBasso, along with a new twin dynamic driver the DX50 synergy is something I can certainly use in my inventory. Look forward to spending more time with Havi tonight. 
wink.gif

Oh, and I especially like the little soft pouch as it lets me store the IEM inside and leave the cable dangling out.

beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,354 of 4,032
Baycode... try listening to JAWs whilst u swim in the open seas,
See if u get a 3D rendition..:p

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,355 of 4,032
  My Havi arrived this afternoon.

So far I'm really pleased with them straight from Studio V, best of all they don't hiss at all with the Hisound player. I'm going to let them run in for a while to let the drivers settle though using Heir tips the soundstage, separation, imaging and detail are quite obvious strong points of these earphones. 

They sound really open in width from left/right and the instrument separation is really apparent.

I'll report back later on though so far more than pleased with what I'm hearing! 

Glad to hear that you got a good first impression. I like them with the Heir tips as well.

If you got any tube amp(s) around give the Havi's a shot with it 
gs1000.gif

I, myself, wouldn't use them for running as they are kinda large and not really an on-the-move iem. There build quality is pretty good though! They are more enjoyable sitting and relaxing. The fit is a little bothersome for me, and I personally would use something more comfortable & smaller or more secure for running like the Meelectronics M6(Joker's recommendation), or the Philips SHE3590, or even the pretty new TTPOD T1-E. 
That said, they might work and are pretty great from a technical, SQ standpoint, way better than the M6 or SHE3590. Someone else like Baycode or another can back me up or possibly refute me.

Hope it helps! 
smile.gif

I agree, I wouldn't use the Havi's for working out either.

Just a couple of days ago I got the Audio-Technica ATH-CKP500 for working out and so far they seem to be really great. Sticks in your ear like nothing I've ever expereinced before, cable with two parts so you can use a short one if you keep your player on the arm, easy to drive, washable (!) and good enough sound to enjoy when working out. You should be able to find them for $25-30 on eBay.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #1,356 of 4,032
Aug 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,357 of 4,032

The biggest advantage using an amp with DX50 / Havi was soundstage width, pleasing soundstage on these Havi, at least with JDS C421.

With C3 headphone out I'm needing to lift the volume to about 35/40 which is a fair amount, I think Havi can benefit more from some power. (you can just feel it)

DX50 headphone out I use medium gain, though it is good and probably (for this pairing) my preference over Studio V

The Studio V still sounds great especially marrying Havi / Studio instrument separation though you cannot ignore the soundstage from DX50/JDS C421.

It's a good pairing with DX50, clean and detailed, though I still think adding an amp really brings out the most from Havi, especially their great soundstage.

All in all, the pairing with DX50 is great. I have x3 amps coming soon, one of them being C&C BH, I think Havi with BH and a slight flick of the amps LF switch will work well.

Congratulations on getting the B3. It really is as good as everyone keeps saying, isn't it? I didn't remember the B3 being THAT power hungry, so I went and had a listen on my C3...35/40?!?!? Do I just listen to music quietly? I was comfortable with the volume set to 10/11 in a relatively quiet environment. My guess would be 18-20/40 on public transport and out and about.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,358 of 4,032
Congratulations on getting the B3. It really is as good as everyone keeps saying, isn't it? I didn't remember the B3 being THAT power hungry, so I went and had a listen on my C3...35/40?!?!? Do I just listen to music quietly? I was comfortable with the volume set to 10/11 in a relatively quiet environment. My guess would be 18-20/40 on public transport and out and about.

Haha, what level do you listen on the Studio to Havi? I'm on 19/31. Keep in mind though 35-40 with C3 wasn't for normal listening levels but more so testing the head room.

I have a great album from bandcamp I'll link soon for Havi.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,359 of 4,032
Haha, what level do you listen on the Studio to Havi? I'm on 19/31. Keep in mind though 35-40 with C3 wasn't for normal listening levels but more so testing the head room.

I have a great album from bandcamp I'll link soon for Havi.

Ahh, ok, that explains a lot. Straight out of the Studio, 4 sounds pretty loud with the Havi B3s (quiet environment). Then again, I don't think I can use my VSD3S straight out of my Studio - I remember finding even volume setting 1 to be slightly loud a few days ago. 

I have a similar issue with my Hisoundaudio Nova N1 - I have only been able to use them with my Soundmagic HP100s comfortably, the inbuilt amp + volume settings make it loud even at a volume setting of 1. I suspect that it will work well with my new Q701s (impulse purchase, really need to stop that). 

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,360 of 4,032
  Ahh, ok, that explains a lot. Straight out of the Studio, 4 sounds pretty loud with the Havi B3s (quiet environment). Then again, I don't think I can use my VSD3S straight out of my Studio - I remember finding even volume setting 1 to be slightly loud a few days ago. 

I have a similar issue with my Hisoundaudio Nova N1 - I have only been able to use them with my Soundmagic HP100s comfortably, the inbuilt amp + volume settings make it loud even at a volume setting of 1. I suspect that it will work well with my new Q701s (impulse purchase, really need to stop that). 

You're like my friend Lee who likes to listen around those volumes. (I believe) and he agrees you actually can take music in that way a different sense, and the secret is to find a combination that lets you hear all the detail / micro detail at a lower volume, though unlike yourself and Lee, I'm on another level of sound and always have listened a little louder.There's nothing wrong with the listening on lower levels but 3/31 is just too low for me with Havi. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,361 of 4,032
Do you use your EPHs for running now or are you looking for a running iem?

No, I don't use the EPHs for running because:
1) after more than 1 year I haven't managed to find a decent and comfortable fit even on normal and relaxed usage;
2) although they aren't bad at all SQwise, I absolutely agree with you on their bass prominency. I also don't like so much their treble presentation. I'd like something more neutral but well-sounding, so maybe these B3s could make it, in particular taking into consideration their price point.
I'll look elsewhere for a pair of IEMs for running on the price range of the B3s, and I ask you to write your suggestions in this thread:
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/729384/iems-to-run-with-soundmagic-e30-vs-pioneer-se-e721-vs-others
just to avoid any contamination on this one :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,363 of 4,032
  I see.
Thanks. I'm seriously considering getting the dx50 to be my go-to dap and forego the need for an amp.. 
Less bulk and greater portability.
wink.gif

Don't worry, Havi sound fine without the amp (for DX50 on medium gain), more than fine actually.

If anything you could tinker with an amp when at home to experiment later down the road.

Havi is a good IEM which will reward you in return of a good source.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,364 of 4,032
u guys who hv owned custom iems,
How high up would u rate the Havi b3 against customs ..say sound quality
Just give me a rough fix...60%...80% as good?
( I hvnt own a custom b4)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back