Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #46 of 4,032
More changes. Not sure if it's the effect of changing the tips, or simply a matter of additional burn it, but the bass seems to have dropped to a low level, whereas the mids are now at around the same level as my R50 (treble wise the R50 still shades it)

I'm not sure exactly what the defining characteristics of a dynamic driver vs balance armature, but with the bass of the B3 being only marginally better than the bass-lite R50, as well as the highs and especially mids being as good as ANY IEM I have listened to so far, I have no idea how this can even be remotely a dynamic driver IEM anymore 
blink.gif

perhaps i was born with a dysfunctional set of ears and i'm hearing everything wrongly 
frown.gif

anyway this probably means i will be in the hunt for another IEM, something much more bass heavy to complement my heavier tracks (needa aplogize to my wallet now)

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #47 of 4,032
  just a quite update on my experience with the B3s:

despite the good fit i had with the small-sized stock tips, i switched over to the foam tips provided just to see if it would get better, and it did!

my review a few days back mentioned that the B3s were a little towards the warm/dark (still waiting for some clarification ^) side. the foam tips changed that completely. it definitely leans more toward an the airy/open tone now, though not signficantly so. upon examining both tips, i suppose some part of it has to do with the foam tips being slightly wider in diameter. it was also much easier to put on as compared to the original small-sized tips which i had to practically jam up the thick top portion of the nozzle.

i'm not sure if the following is a result of that, but the bass now also seems slightly reduced, in quantity at least, whereas the detailing/ clarity is also a tad better. again, i'm not sure if this is the right phrase for description, but the overall sounds seems 'cleaner'.

on the overall, i think i will stick to the foam tips as i like it more (not saying the small-sized normal tips were bad either). they are now perhaps more similar in sound signature to my R50s, though still being slightly better in soundstage and bass, while being weaker in mids and treble (no shame in that really!)

if i really liked the B3s before, i can safely say i'm in love with it now.

cheers everyone!

The only tip I am happy with is the Hifiman double flange. Foam tips kills the bass and doesn't put any positive aspects for me.

Brain (adjust) and driver burn-in, tip selection and insertion depth, source selection, source matching or compatibility with iems, record quality, ear and/or general health, previous exposures to noise, age, previous experiments with audio gear, environment you are listening your headphones in, your state of psychology...  all these and more factors may effect the sound you perceive...

I can't call them as dark and/or veiled and I have never heard more clear sounding iem before... 

You can read about the description of the audio terms from here ( I have copied some of them on the below) http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Airy - Spacious. Open. Instruments sound like they are surrounded by a large reflective space full of air. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz.

Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.

Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.

Definition (or resolution) - The ability of a component to reveal the subtle information that is fundamental to high fidelity sound.

Depth - A sense of distance (near to far) of different instruments.

Detail - The most delicate elements of the original sound and those which are the first to disappear with lesser equipment.

Detailed - Easy to hear tiny details in the music; articulate. Adequate high frequency response, sharp transient response.

Forward(ness) - Similar to an aggressive sound, a sense of image being projected in front of the speakers and of music being forced upon the listener. Compare "Laid-back".

Headstage - The perception of the Soundstage while listening to headphones.

Highs - The audio frequencies above about 6000 Hz.

High Midrange (High Mids, Upper Mids) - The audio frequencies between about 2kHz and 6kHz.

Laid-back - Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. Compare "Forward".

Open - Sound which has height and "air", relates to clean upper midrange and treble.

Soundstage - The area between two speakers that appears to the listener to be occupied by sonic images. Like a real stage, a soundstage should have width, depth, and height.

Spacious - Conveying a sense of space, ambiance, or room around the instruments. Stereo reverb. Early reflections.

Veiled - Like a silk veil is over the speakers. Slight noise or distortion or slightly weak high frequencies. Loss of detail due to limited transparency.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #52 of 4,032
I am more than happy with the sound of Havi B3 Pro1 thus I will prefer to spend more time with them rather than buying another iem (atm). Thanks for the inputs mochill. I am also eying the KC06 thread anyway...

Finding the right tip and source makes the biggest differences for Havi.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #53 of 4,032
Maybe these are made for high powered sources :blush::grin:

Probably, but I am not sure of the power (part) alone...

For example Sansa Fuze make the B3 sound not so good compared to the MH1C. But when I compare them on my Galaxy S2 and Ipod Touch 4th Gen sound is phenomenal (compared all sources without EQ or other enhancements). No any other iems (have/had) can touch B3's from these sources. I knew my S2 uses Yamaha chip which is known to have weak power.

There are some other factors we need to know (other than power). I call these factors as "source/iem matching or compatibility". We usually skip the latter in our reviews...

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #55 of 4,032
Exams are around the corner, and the need for music as a study accompaniment has led to extensive usage of the B3s over the last few days.

I really really really like these. I never thought I would say this but I think I might actually like this more than my R50 now. The R50 still has the edge in the treble region, and perhaps in the bass kick, but the B3 matches everything else pound for pound. In hindsight, putting on the accompanying foam tips which Penonaudio kindly provided was really the game changer.

The tracks which best amplifies the quality of the B3 as from my playlist are 'Nara' and 'Arise' by E.S. Posthumus (FLAC quality).

Once again, I will not making sweeping generalizations considering my very limited experience listening to high quality audio files/equipment, but I have enough experience listening to budget models to ascertain that these have to be around the top in all round value for the $50-100 IEM price bracket.

If the Ostry KC06 is actually so much better than this, as per what the neighbouring thread have stated them to be in supposedly all regards, I will be absolutely astounded.

I'm not sure why this thread hasn't had more hits. Posters from the Chinese thread should really be coming forth to offer their much needed and deserved reviews.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #56 of 4,032
If the Ostry KC06 is actually so much better than this, as per what the neighbouring thread have stated them to be in supposedly all regards, I will be absolutely astounded.

According to Bhazard, when used with wide-bore Sennheiser tips - B3 is superior.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #57 of 4,032
Is it supposed to wear these with deep or shallow insertion? I could hardly get good fit, it feels a little shallow and unstable.
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #58 of 4,032
  Exams are around the corner, and the need for music as a study accompaniment has led to extensive usage of the B3s over the last few days.

I really really really like these. I never thought I would say this but I think I might actually like this more than my R50 now. The R50 still has the edge in the treble region, and perhaps in the bass kick, but the B3 matches everything else pound for pound. In hindsight, putting on the accompanying foam tips which Penonaudio kindly provided was really the game changer.

The tracks which best amplifies the quality of the B3 as from my playlist are 'Nara' and 'Arise' by E.S. Posthumus (FLAC quality).

Once again, I will not making sweeping generalizations considering my very limited experience listening to high quality audio files/equipment, but I have enough experience listening to budget models to ascertain that these have to be around the top in all round value for the $50-100 IEM price bracket.

I'm not sure why this thread hasn't had more hits. Posters from the Chinese thread should really be coming forth to offer their much needed and deserved reviews.

gyx11, this type of recordings shines on B3's :)  absolutely fantastic music! Thanks for mentioning these tracks!

You are killing the bass capabilities with that foamies. But if they work for you I cannot write anything...

and  these iems are needed to be understood well. They have incredible potential. With the selection of wrong tips, wrong insertion depths and wrong sources they wouldn't show their secrets to many...

Is it supposed to wear these with deep or shallow insertion? I could hardly get good fit, it feels a little shallow and unstable.
confused.gif

Deep or Deep-Middle insertion is better. I have the same problem.

When I receive my triple flanges from Penon audio I will be making comprehensive tip rolling shoot-out and will be informing you with the pics.

(My tip collection is not shallow but I need some triple flanges :wink:

Large opening or large bore tips are better. I could get best results with the Hifiman double flange tips. Sound changes incredibly with the selection of the right tips.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #59 of 4,032
  gyx11, this type of recordings shines on B3's :)  absolutely fantastic music! Thanks for mentioning these tracks!

You are killing the bass capabilities with that foamies. But if they work for you I cannot write anything...

and  these iems are needed to be understood well. They have incredible potential. With the selection of wrong tips, wrong insertion depths and wrong sources they wouldn't show their secrets to many...

Deep or Deep-Middle insertion is better. I have the same problem.

When I receive my triple flanges from Penon audio I will be making comprehensive tip rolling shoot-out and will be informing you with the pics.

(My tip collection is not shallow but I need some triple flanges :wink:

Large opening or large bore tips are better. I could get best results with the Hifiman double flange tips. Sound changes incredibly with the selection of the right tips.

My pleasure 
wink.gif

I agree with what you said about the reduced bass when using the foam tips. It's actually thing the only thing I'm missing from using the stock tips. Thankfully, I am nowhere near a basshead, and so even with the reduced bass, I can say it does not make me uncomfortable in any way.

Looking forward to what you make of the flange tips! Since Bhazard mentioned that they were his favourite tips, they will probably turn out well. Keep us updated! (tempted to get some myself 
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back