Have you ever "lost" a CD *WITHIN* your collection?
Oct 2, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 36
tongue.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif

Oct 3, 2001 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Just curious MacDEF, where do you buy CD's? Is there some music club that you like? Suppose you pay $10-15 a CD...that's an Orpheus! I find the music clubs like BMG just don't have some of the CD's I'm looking for... But then again, I guess since you were a DJ you could pay it off...somehow.

LOL. Actually, my collection cost me FAR less that it appears. First, during college I worked as an intern at a major record label in Hollywood. I had no great love of big record companies, but took the gig because I got free CDs, free concerts, and got to meet people in bands, all for a few hours a week
wink.gif
Since we couldn't be "paid," we got free CDs at the end of our "shift" (sometimes 10-20 per week!). Some were duplicates of albums being promoted that week, in which case we would take them to the local used record store and trade them in for other stuff. That REALLY built up my collection. In addition to that, I was a college DJ, and through that gig I also got free CDs, free concerts, and got to meet cool people
wink.gif

Finally, I rarely buy "new" CDs -- only stuff that is really hard to find, or if I get a great deal from a store or online. I buy almost ALL of my CDs used. It takes some patience if there's something you *really* want, but it's worth it.

The downside of used is that the price of used has crept up as much as the price of new. Back in 1994/95, a new CD was around $12.99 (not on sale) and a used CD was $8.99. Now, new CDs are $16.99 and used are $10.95.

P.S. My favorite record store in Los Angeles was Penny Lane (they had/have four or five locations). In the Bay Area, Amoeba in San Francisco is simply the best store ever (Rolling Stone named it "Best Record store in the U.S."). It's HUGE with every genre you could imagine, so you can pretty much find anything there, and it never takes me more than a week or two to find a used copy of something.

Oct 3, 2001 at 6:55 AM Post #19 of 36
one of my favorite CDs (Enya Watermark) dissappeared from my collection over a year ago...i made numerous fruitless searches and i never did find it or figure out what could have become of it so i finally asked a co-worker for her copy for me to make a copy...about two months ago i decided to test my old 1991 Sony D-555 portable CDP which was stuck in a drawer...when i opened the lid there was my Enya CD sitting right where i put it more than a year prior during my previous test of the D-555...now i have my original and a copy...can't complain...

Oct 4, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 36
Ah, you beat me to it, I was going to post this same topic -- double-deckers, I call 'em, and I HATE 'em. I've got a small stack of empty cases, and who knows where they are (I listen to a _lot_ of CD's).

PS I am in the thousands. And I _do_ pay for my CD's...damn, are you telling me I coulda had an Orpheus?!?!?!?!? Need to start unloading some of my shi...uh...unused ones...

Thanks for the post, misery loves company, and you've got mine.

PPS I have a friend who lost a CD once, he had swapped cases. And so he just went to the other case, and it had a third CD in it, so he went to that one, and it had a forth, etc. He never found the original CD...

Oct 4, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #21 of 36
Ahem.....MacDEF - you are SO wise, at times
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 36
Yeah same thing happend to me.

Basically I am a lazy so and so and when I finish listening to a disc and get the next one down, I cant be arsed to get the correct case so chuck it in the one I just got, unfortunatly the cycle then continues, so eventually I have to backtrack through the ones I just listened to doh!

Missing cd at the mo? Karnataka cannot find this cd ANYWHERE and boy have I looked everywhere, I have a funny feeling that when/if it turns up I am going to kick my self
confused.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 36
I never have this problem, the only time i've lost a CD was when a friend of mine borrowed and he lost it. Personlly I've always been very tidy about it, always put it back when I finised listening to it. Never leave it around without a case and don't even leave it in the CD player.

Oct 4, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

LOL! He'd love an MP3 jukebox, methinks. After all - all that music - in one little package. And searchable, too

Coolvij, don't get us started about MP3
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 36
MacDEF, that's awesome! I sure wouldn't mind getting 20 CDs in a week.
smily_headphones1.gif
But then, I do like getting paid in real money too...heheh.

Yeah, I've found my own personal favorite place to buy CDs here on campus. I listen to classical music, and there actually is a little music store on campus that carries exclusively classical music!
eek.gif
I didn't find it until this year because it's hidden in a building on the second floor above a record shop that carries more popular music. You actually have to go into the other store to find them...it's weird. Anyway, they have a pretty good selection (given the size of the store of course) and their prices aren't bad at all. They currently have a promotion with all Sony recordings for $12 (new!). They also have a wall of used CDs ranging from $3 for naxos recordings to $12-15ish for 2cd sets. Not a bad deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:45 AM Post #26 of 36
I'm a disorganized packrat. Not sure how many CD's I have (over 1000 somewhere, no database). I keep them in alphabetical order. I've also got over 4000 LPs, and probably about 1500 DVD's (those are databased, at least). It's not a question about losing them from time to time. The amazing this is that I can sometimes find something
eek.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:52 AM Post #27 of 36
By the way, I've made quite a bit of progress on my CD database. I've now finished archiving the categories of:
Jazz
World Music
Soundtracks
Various Artists
Electronica
Industrial
R&B
Rap
Dance
Rare/Collector's

Which leaves me with the following left:
Classical
Rock/Misc

My database has the following fields:
Artist
Title
Type (categories above)
Year of Release
Company
Catalog #
# of CDs
Notes (import, compilation, single, promo, live, etc.)
Special (notes on casing, extras, box set, etc.)
Borrowed? (who is/has borrowing/ed it)
Song titles (all track names and times)

I've been working on this thing for a long time, but I'm finally nearing completion. It's great to be able to type in a song name and find it on a CD(s) -- especially since I have a couple hundred soundtracks and various artists CDs. I often forget that I have a song because I don't own the entire album.

Feb 18, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
In the Bay Area, Amoeba in San Francisco is simply the best store ever (Rolling Stone named it "Best Record store in the U.S."). It's HUGE with every genre you could imagine, so you can pretty much find anything there, and it never takes me more than a week or two to find a used copy of something.

MacDEF, I have to agree with you. I spent the last four days with my sis' in San Jose, and on Sat we took a little day trip to San Francisco. I went to Amoeba Music for the first time , and, WOW....what a great place! I spent a good hour or so just looking through a miniscule portion of their vinyl section. I ended up buying about ten records....mostly Monk...and Bill Evans stuff (hell, I'm a pianist) and could have done much more damage to my Visa card.....! I'll be back....

PS: We left Amoeba music and headed to fisherman's wharf for some fantastic seafood at Scoma's....I was in a "coma"....
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
LOL, Rick... I should have just held onto the PC -- you could have picked it up from me in person
wink.gif

Hey, that would have been cool, you could have shown us around a bit, too! (we got lost a couple of times).
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back