Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones.
May 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #91 of 230

You do realise they can handle this for 0.2 seconds, yes?

Yes. But it is usually long enough.

Usually it is a single blow by the tympani or drum in the finale.

Electrostatics can support their maximum output indefinitely long. If only they could support larger SPLs and be more manageable load electrically...

May 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #93 of 230
Unless there is your extra 3rd ear, useless.
Lets face it your L/R ears are already aligned to the front, so angled hp solved this.

My hp DSP setup is totally best 3D sounding (better than my 7.1 speakersetup) with very good front, surround overall and out of the head directions.
Front sounds are elevated from centre up to middle and top of my head.
They sound so natural convincing real like with this movie when there was knocking on the door, I was taking off my hp to hear if it was from my housedoor.

I have my holy grail of 3D sound and dont need searching/upgrading, lucky me!

May 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #94 of 230
So i gather from the thread that the answer to the question is a resounding " NO". Most people will not want to walk around with headsets and some other fancy box to process signals to get the same effect as a standard two speaker system.

May 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #95 of 230
That would be a yes. A two speaker system is more than just two speakers. It's the distances between speakers and listener and the effect of the room. Those are complex things and can't be reproduced simply by putting the speakers over your ears.

May 7, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #96 of 230
The question was "Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones".

The answer is a resounding yes.

I have heard sound coming from the front (and the back and the sides) with headphones hundreds of times using the Smyth Realiser. 

Seems like science has an 8 year lag in this subforum.

May 7, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #97 of 230
The question was "Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones".
The answer is a resounding yes.
I have heard sound coming from the front (and the back and the sides) with headphones hundreds of times using the Smyth Realiser.
Seems like science has an 8 year lag in this subforum.

Hi i think that this is a very good news.
Last question ... after having experienced it,  in a normal listening situation (i.e. without it) do you feel to really miss something ?
Or do you get more fatigue without it for instance ?
For an average listener the price is indeed an issue.
Thanks again,  gino

May 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #98 of 230

Hi i think that this is a very good news.
Last question ... after having experienced it,  in a normal listening situation (i.e. without it) do you feel to really miss something ?
Or do you get more fatigue without it for instance ?
For an average listener the price is indeed an issue.
Thanks again,  gino

Hi Gino,

I sold mine recently because I don't have the competence to make my own measurements and the measurements I made when I bought it, were in a TV monitoring studio, which was very "dry" sounding for my taste.

I had to go to Munich, Germany to do it, because in my country (Greece) obviously nobody has any idea about the Realiser.

But to answer your question, yes, I do miss the spatial imaging of the speakers in that studio. When you listen to the Realiser, you are immediately transported into the room in which you made the measurements.

My advice is, if you are near a studio where they take measurements for the Realiser, go listen to it first.
If you like it, absolutely get the Realiser, because you will be transported there everytime you listen to it.

I'm not talking about some vague headstage/soundstage. If you close your eyes, you are actually in that room even 3 years later.

Of course you could also learn to do the measurements yourself.

May 7, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #99 of 230

Hi Gino,
I sold mine recently because I don't have the competence to make my own measurements and the measurements I made when I bought it, were in a TV monitoring studio, which was very "dry" sounding for my taste.
I had to go to Munich, Germany to do it, because in my country (Greece) obviously nobody has any idea about the Realiser.
But to answer your question, yes, I do miss the spatial imaging of the speakers in that studio. When you listen to the Realiser, you are immediately transported into the room in which you made the measurements.
My advice is, if you are near a studio where they take measurements for the Realiser, go listen to it first.
If you like it, absolutely get the Realiser, because you will be transported there everytime you listen to it.
I'm not talking about some vague headstage/soundstage. If you close your eyes, you are actually in that room even 3 years later.
Of course you could also learn to do the measurements yourself.

Hi Aphex !

thanks a lot again for the very valuable advice.
No more doubts about the excellence of the device.
I am not an expert so what i say could be very wrong.
i understand the price because of the development cost
But if they would license the technology to some very big company like Creative for instance the price could go down a lot.
I am not interested in the tracking device for instance (not that is the expensive part).
But nowadays there are extremely powerful DSP on a single chip or so.
If not the device diffusion will be very limited to professional.
But the effect that you mention must be very exciting indeed.
For now the price puts it outside my reach.
I will do just with a sound outside my head ... for now.
Thanks again, gino

May 7, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #100 of 230

ginetto61

The only time I am able to discern that stereo speaker-like "front effect" on headphones is when listening to Enya's The Longships recording originally mastered by Barry Diament in 1988.

A deeply detailed and layered track the sound seemingly floats down from above and from afar while stretching wide between (and even back behind) the left and right channels... and that beating drum, oh my!  This "behind/front" imaging effect is best described as how one hears/feels a live orchestra's back row instruments... they are accurately distant (lower in volume, but still vibrant, clear, and having impact) and in their right places.

May 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #101 of 230

The only time I am able to discern that stereo speaker-like "front effect" on headphones is when listening to Enya's The Longships recording originally mastered by Barry Diament in 1988.
A deeply detailed and layered track the sound seemingly floats down from above and from afar while stretching wide between (and even back behind) the left and right channels... and that beating drum, oh my!  This "behind/front" imaging effect is best described as how one hears/feels a live orchestra's back row instruments... they are accurately distant (lower in volume, but still vibrant, clear, and having impact) and in their right places.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting suggestion.
Sorry is it a track in the cd  "Watermark" ?
If so i will go hunting for the cd immediately ... never had this sensation with HPs.
However i know for sure that, for speakers at least, a very impressive soundstage effect can be produced at the console with some sort of processing.
Of course the HPs are hugely more challenging ... but the people behind the Smyth Realizer seem to have hit the target.
Thanks again, gino

May 7, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #102 of 230

Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting suggestion.
Sorry is it a track in the cd  "Watermark" ?
If so i will go hunting for the cd immediately ... never had this sensation with HPs.
However i know for sure that, for speakers at least, a very impressive soundstage effect can be produced at the console with some sort of processing.
Of course the HPs are hugely more challenging ... but the people behind the Smyth Realizer seem to have hit the target.
Thanks again, gino

Yes, the album is Watermark but find the original 1988 mastering and not the 2009 remaster which I personally feel is no where close to Barry's golden ear mastering... by the way, Barry mastered some other big songs including Robert Plant's In the Mood in which I think did a wonderful job bringing forward Phil Collins' sensational drumming on that recording.

May 7, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #103 of 230
Rarely from my cans. Sometimes from the rear. The CD titled "Train Wreck" by Sneakin' Out, is good for this.
Two-channel floor speakers - that's the way to go if a full stage is desired.

May 7, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #104 of 230
  Yes, the album is Watermark but find the original 1988 mastering and not the 2009 remaster which I personally feel is no where close to Barry's golden ear mastering...
by the way, Barry mastered some other big songs including Robert Plant's In the Mood in which I think did a wonderful job bringing forward Phil Collins' sensational drumming on that recording.

HI ! bought ! thank you !!!!
i was so excited that i bought 2 ...
rolleyes.gif
 on ebay
I read already of Barry Diament here ... about mastering Bob Marley cd's maybe ?
i will look for other titles for sure
Thanks a lot again,  gino

May 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #105 of 230
Originally Posted by ginetto61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI ! bought ! thank you !!!!
i was so excited that i bought 2 ...
rolleyes.gif
 on ebay
I read already of Barry Diament here ... about mastering Bob Marley cd's maybe ?
i will look for other titles for sure
Thanks a lot again,  gino

Yes, he did many of the Marley recordings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back