Have you ever bought a music collection?
Dec 11, 2011 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Tonight I watched a Time-Life lat night informercial for a classic country collection.  Admittedly, I loved a lot of it.  There was Left Frizzell, Webb Pierce, George Jones, and much else to love.

I know, I know.  Late-night infomercials are tacky and generally in poor taste.  But I kinda liked this collection.  I won't make four payments of $29.99 because I already have  lot of it.  Though it would be hard to pass over for $20 at the Goodwill.

Anyway, is anyone willing to admit to buying music from a late-night infomercial?  Did you enjoy it?  How is the recording quality?  Is there anything you'd recommend to us?

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Not Time-Life Uncle-E, but bought two collections recently (price was too good to pass up)!

4-CD set (covers below)

Tchaikovsky was very disappointing - and I am a real Pytor Illych fan.  Dynamics were awful - the recording was just really flat - no life.

The Mozart though - stunning - dynamics were really good, better than I expected.

NZD 6.50 per set of 4 (that's roughly USD 5.00 for 4 cds) - absolute steal.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I would have but I could never decide between the 4 lps and 2 double-play 8-track cartrdges.

"So many of the tunes of our well-known popular songs were actually written by the Great Masters, like these familiar themes..."

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
My folks bought Time-Life classical collections back in the day when they were advertised in places like Reader's Digest. They may be sort of tacky, but I owe my life-long love of classical music to those recordings, crappy though they may have been.

I don't know about getting collections if you're already into a genre, but as introductions, they're hard to beat (assuming it's not some cover horrorshow).

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 6
TIme Life put out a spectacular set of DVDs of performances from the Grand Ol Opry. Netflix has it. It's got a lot of the clips they show on the TV ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back