Have there always been people like this?
Jun 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #46 of 56
I'm sure people have always had a sense of entitlement, it's just that nowadays for some reason displays of it get the person in question a ton of publicity.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #47 of 56
I don't know much about the show but I did hear a local morning radio show DJ talking about it when they did a party for a local girl. That girl was probably faking. There were other girls from the local girl's school calling in saying that she's normally really nice and cool but that undoubtedly for the show she'd have to get bitchy.

BTW the car is also supposedly a year lease, not an all out gift. And everything's paid for by MTV at these crazy parties.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about the show but I did hear a local morning radio show DJ talking about it when they did a party for a local girl. That girl was probably faking. There were other girls from the local girl's school calling in saying that she's normally really nice and cool but that undoubtedly for the show she'd have to get bitchy.

BTW the car is also supposedly a year lease, not an all out gift. And everything's paid for by MTV at these crazy parties.

I call bullshiat on this clip. I've worked on a reality series before (I Wanna Date A Race Car Driver) and you wouldn't believe how much this stuff is scripted.

Didn't see it? Yeah... neither did anyone else.

It supposedly makes good tv.
rolleyes.gif

Hey NWT... long time no see
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classes different, but.... [warning language]

Man I loved that movie. Starbucks anyone?
wink.gif

Personally, I wonder why Mtv still has that name. I don't think they've shown an actual "music video" in a good 10 years or so. That said, I've seen a few kids like that in my day, and I generally gave them a wide berth. Yes, my school had a "Nice Car" section in the parking lot, and my '87 Dodge Dakota didn't fit in too well.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #51 of 56
heh, my first car was a '57 chevy pickup that I bought off a guy at work when I was 17 (and already graduated) for $500. The following payday, I went down to the local auto wreckers and bought a 350 chevy from a '67 camaro and did my first engine swap (by myself with a cherry picker)
tongue.gif

Then that was when the 'exhibition of speed' and 'drag racing' tickets started to pile up
blink.gif

The following year, I sold that and bought a '69 Chevy nova that had a professionally built '65 corvette 327 with 416hp(dyno'd) and muncie m-21 that could actually pick the front wheels off the ground and carry them when shifting into 2nd gear
redface.gif

Got married when I was 19 and didn't get my first 'brand new' vehicle ('79 F-150 4x4) until i was over 21 :/

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #52 of 56
In a strange way, I kinda agree with the girl on this one. The car that her mom bought was too masculine looking. She needed a car that's a brighter color. The girl probably has no knowledge about the value of cars and probably would have been happy with a light colored cheaper volkswagen or perhaps an Acura.

Yes, she reacted in a crazy way but it does not surprise me because lots of girls out there are wacky, including my current girlfriend.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #53 of 56
Wow, and I was about to watch that episode (out of boredom, of course
icon10.gif
) a few weeks ago. Yes, a great amount of privileged kids don't recognize their fortune in having a luxurious lifestyle, and take it for granted. I consider my upbringing as very fortunate in comparison to my extended family overseas. When I got my first car, I got excited, not disappointed. Sure, I wished it would've been newer and what not, but it had wheels, took gas, and went where I needed it to go. My current set of wheels, a '99 Honda Civic Ex coupe, is very satisfactory, and I'm not wanting something new (well, a hybrid would be nice
580smile.gif
). I just hope the parents of that teenager realize that when she has to grow up, that she can't complain and settle for everything that she wants. One thing that straightens any teenager out is a good dose of responsibility, and that's what they should instill in her and let her take care of.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've worked on a reality series before (I Wanna Date A Race Car Driver) and you wouldn't believe how much this stuff is scripted.

HAHAHA, I have a friend who's wayyy into Nascar, I was out at his place a few years back and this came on his Nascar channel. He complained for about an hour on how stupid it was that they were doing the whole reality show thing when he just wanted to see cars going fast in a circle. I watched about 10 minutes and of course could tell it was scripted, and possibly the worst show I'd ever seen. Good job Steve
smily_headphones1.gif
icon10.gif

[size=xx-small]
DISCLAIMER: I know Steve, I've seen work of his that was good. Everything that made this show bad was done long before it was handed to our boy. It's all in good fun.[/size]

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #55 of 56
is it my fault when my dad bought me a lexus when i didnt tell him to??

Anyway it has no road feel at all so im glad he is willing to give me his camry and switch to lexus =)

I didnt feel entitled to get a free car but cars are a form of transport for the family so i dont see anything wrong with parents getting cars for their children if there are not enough transports to go around the house.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #56 of 56
My Sweet 16 is a fake show, and the kids usually never keep the gifts they receive anyway...but it does make for entertaining tv.
Anyways, kids ARE too spoiled nowadays, kids at my school get money from their parents almost whenever they ask for it! What do they blow it on? Yeah, you guessed it, drugs and alcohol. Stupid teens, I hold the parents and the media responsible, we need to fix this before it goes way too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back