Have there always been people like this?
Jun 25, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who said there ain't no free lunch? It looks there is... for some people.

Oh, I'm sure she, her family and pretty much anyone in her life are going to be paying for years to come.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 56
wow. you guys are harsh. i get why she was mad. when i turned 16 my parents bought me a new mercedes, and i threw a fit because i had asked for a jag...wait, that was in my dreams. sorry i got confused for a minute. what actually happened was i saved my $ working at the amusement park (i ran the tilt-a-whirl!) and bought myself a beeeuuutiful 1962 rambler for 225 bucks. sucker ran forever, just put a quart of oil in with every fill-up and go go go.

this story is just another reminder that anybody can have kids. the parents should be put down...

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #33 of 56
hell, i didn't get my first car till i was 19. I still have my blue 94 jeep today and lets just say its a love/hate relationship!

If i pulled that ****, my parents would probably run me over with it and collect my life insurance $$$

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this story is just another reminder that anybody can have kids...

Classes different, but.... [warning language]

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 56
When I got my license my older brother gave me his ratty '59 Renault Dauphine! When my Dad found out about that, he was afraid the little sucker would likely get crunched into a tiny little wad with me inside if I ever even tapped another vehicle.

He convinced my Uncle to buy a new car and give me his '55 Pontiac!

That was cool! I really liked that Pontiac. It only had about 108,000 miles on it!

....I eventually did manage to pick up a '58 Dauphine just for fun a few years later. It had a 6 volt system and would light up the road ahead at least a good 40 feet!

EDIT: Make that about 20 feet.
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 56
I think her reaction is a bit extreme and 'media manipulated', BUT I did grow up in a middle to upper middle class town in Northern New Jersey (Bergen County) where many teen kids got brand new Benzes, Beemers, Audis, Mustang GT's, Vettes, etc. etc. etc. when they turned driving age (back then it was 17- don't know what it is now)! What's a $50,000 car when your daddy is worth $20 or 30 million?

As for moi, the son of a humble Dentist, I lived in the 'poor section' of town, and had to borrow my mom's 1977 Olds Cutlass. Had a 350 4-barrel engine though, so I can't complain.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 56
While not condoning the child's actions, it appears that the mom has spoiled this child to the point where she feels that everything she wants she gets. This is only the latest of what was probably a series of gifts the spoiled kid got all throughout her short life. When kids throw fits like that at 16 they've had 15 years of practice, and I bet her mom returned the car and got her what she wanted.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd just like to show you all the Hyundai Excel Gen1 hatchback i used in high school- except mine was Red (handmedown from my sis, who wanted red 'cause it was cute)

250px-

Keep in mind I was still very grateful - it was a car, and that meant freedom. And I didn't pay for it after all (although i did pay for gas and maintenance, etc)

Jahn, i feel ya. My car was my grandparents old oldsmobile. It's ugly as sin, but it has low miles (80k) for a 1992 and it runs great.

They sold it to me for a dollar
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #41 of 56
Didn't get a car until I could buy my own. Hell, grandpa had to sneek me into the license branch or I wouldn't have been able to get my license. Mom didn't think a 16 yr old should be driving. The only reason he did was so I could drive while he drank. He had a 61 Biscayne with a rusted out back floorboard (used to get rid of the empties). Real piece of work he was.

I finally got my first car when I was 18 in the Navy(74). It was one of those cars you bought from someone graduating school. 67 mustang fastback, primer gray, 289 three speed. $300. It had a sweet stereo though. What I wouldn't give to have it today.

The young girl kinda reminds me of my wife. Oh! Hi De.......

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 56
Seeing stuff like this makes me glad my parents are sensible. I know, to some, I am spoilt, but generally, I'm not.
My first car was a brand new Seat Ibiza, which I know is a really nice car. I was ecstatic about this, because I'd have been happy with the old Minis we were looking at.

I tend to get nice stuff for Christmas/Birthdays, but if I want other stuff, I have to pay for it myself (I get some pocket money, but also have a job)
I think it's a nice balance. My parents have always tried to teach me the value of money.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #44 of 56
they should sell it back and give her a tricycle, then lock her in her room for a week (after removing anything interesting from it of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back