Have Fiio e17 - Looking for non-phone portable source to go with
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Khangero

New Head-Fier
I've spent about an hour digging around the forums here for an answer to this issue but so far I haven't had any success so I've decided to stop lurking, create an account and post. 

I have an iPhone 4S with a line out dock (LOD) and a FiiO e17 and I'm enjoying the combination. But I'm finding two things I dislike and I'm looking for a better way. 1) I have a 32GB phone and I'm finding that a little cramped. 2) I can't really use the phone as a smartphone with the DAC strapped to it, and it gets to be irksome to move the rubber straps to the side. So I'm looking for an mp3 player that can hold hopefully 100gb or so. At least 64gb. 

I'd like it to also have a LOD so that I can fully utilize the DAC that I have been enjoying so much. I understand that the Sansa Clip+, which seemed very promising to fit this bill doesn't have a LOD, but I have read different things about you can still use the headphone out turned all the way down to good effect - that is confusing. Can anyone shed some light? 

Are there any other products I should be considering? I could spend as much as 200 dollars right now, but it would be nice to stay under a hundred as I've just shelled out for a lot of gear - you know the feeling. I know that must narrow the field a lot but I'm hoping there is something out there. 

I'd also be willing to listen to folks who think I should just get something like the Sansa Clip+ and roll with that and save my DAC for dedicated listening around the house. But would that be an improvement over say an iPhone 4s > LOD > FiiO e5, which I happen to have as well. That would also give me the portability without the hassle of the straps. 

Thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 3
I think that I agree. 

I would like to run Rockbox. I've perused threads but found conflicting information. Should I be looking for a 7G then? Or is it advisable to get an older one where Rockbox compatibility is better? I have a 32gb 3g touch I could fool with to get used to Rockbox. 

I'm an IT guy. I'm real comfortable with computers but don't have experience with Rockbox yet. Just getting into all this stuff, but diving in headfirst. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back