have dt990... what's the next upgrade? (bought dx1000)
Oct 28, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: Haha "small update". Incredibly while writing this quite lengthy post I just received an e-mail from Audiocubes that they will be shipping my DX1000 later today, as they finally received my DX1000. So YAY! Dx1000 incoming! Unless I really don't like the DX1000, I guess this makes my comparison slightly irrelevant, however hopefully someone else can benefit from it.

This is really good news. I eagerly await your impressions. BTW I agree with your views on the Gs1000 phones to the point, except comfort.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #47 of 79
BushGuy: It does indeed quite accurately describe Danish women. The swedes even slightly edge us out with the blondes. However if you like brunettes you must go to Sicily. It's a fantastic place as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Cecala: Yes, it's great, hopefully I should receive them this week. I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

By the way Cecala, how would you compare the GS1000 to the DX1000? Just some quick keywords please
biggrin.gif

Do the DX1000 have the same snap and impact as the GS1000?

God, I'm like a small child, constantly updating the Track & Trace to see if they've gotten further in the system.

Just remember all good things to those who wait.

Regarding your request, all I can say is that I had a quick 20 minute listen at a HiFi place close to me and was listening to a fine recording of some Russian Classical music. What I liked about the Grados was the large soundstage that is equaled in the JVCs. The Symphony sounded large and complete(full) although a far to distant for my liking. The JVC is a little more intimate in this regard, more to my liking. Snap crackle and pop is better in the JVCs, no doubt. Comfort is a no brainer, much much better in the JVCs.It feels like your head is sitting between two pillows. I cannot believe there are people who find these agreeable. While auditioning at the shop I could not wait to take them off, of course having a large head might be a factor here , who knows. The slightly forward bass and upper bass region in the JVCs is, I find pleasant for me. It gives a warm edge to music which once you become accustomed to, you will not want to be without. These are replacing a pair of aging Sony Phones and while more neutral I now find them boring. The JVCs are a fun phone. I believe you will be most happy with your purchase. Just wait till you take of that top cover of the box and see these things, mind blowing in the flesh.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #50 of 79
I just got the DT990s...I like a somewhat bright sound but the DT990s are a touch too bright for me. So using Foobar2000 I turned down the bands at 7k and up down by 3dB and I've been quite happy

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #51 of 79
Note that they will become less bright after about 120 hours of break-in.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #52 of 79
Well they've been playing nonstop since Saturday...so that's 96 hours. I can tell the highs have been tamed a bit and are smoother. But oh my the bass has increased so much...brings quite a big smile to my face

The brightness only gets to me with really thrashy metal songs...I wonder if there's a way to make the eq change with each song...

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 79
Well, I've had these since friday, and I guess it's about time i post my impressions. Be warned, this will just be a rant of different stuff I've spotted while listening, so it's hardly very structured
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all, they look fantastic, quality is excellent. Comfort is slightly worse to me than the dt990, mostly due to the increased clamping force, but the extra weight and size also play a role in that. Overall they're very comfortable though.

The best word to describe the sound would be: Big! The extremely deep and impact full (but also controlled) bass combined with the large soundstage is a very nice combo. These have the best and deepest bass of any headphone I've heard, still without being excessive. Compared to the dt990 the bass is deeper, more impactful, textured and precise, there's also more of it.

Even though they have a large soundstage, they still manage to sound more intimate than my dt990, perhaps because of the dt990's slightly recessed midrange? When switching back and forth between the dt990 and dx1000, the dt990 start sounding almost low-fi. The dt990's highs sound sharp and combined with the slightly distant sounding mids, it sounds a bit strange compared to the dx1000. Overall the dx1000 are more natural and musical sounding. They have more texture, impact and snap.

The most impressive thing remains their ability to be very musical and precise, while having a large amount of bass that's very deep and precise
and doesn't disturb the rest of the sound spectrum.

Overall I'd say these are in a totally different class than the dt990. I can pretty much say that unless something different comes out, I've found my perfect headphone. To upgrade I'd have to go for R10 or something like that, and that's way more than I'm willing to spend.

And if anyone's thinking of upgrading from dt990, then definitely do it! It takes every quality of the dt990 and improves upon it, and despite the law of diminishing returns, this is a big upgrade indeed.

Oh and I gotta say thank you to everyone who helped me settle on these, they have proved to be exactly the headphone I was looking for.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #54 of 79
Im interested to listen to the dx1000s too. Everything you said about the dt990s though compared to the jvc is true even compared to a sennheiser 595 which is much cheaper than the 990. Except for the bass and some softness, the 595s are better to me in every way against the recessed sounding mids ang bright sibilant highs of the dt990.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #56 of 79
Yossi: Hehe, I'm sorry, but these really are fantastic, and way better than the dt990. Mind you I was very happy with my dt990 for a long time, even when returning from the GS1000 the dt990 weren't bad, mostly due to the increased bass.

I really can't see myself using the dt990 now that I've got the DX1000, and I'm really considering selling them.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #57 of 79
I'm surprised you found the GS1000 to have less bass than the DT-990. Is it the 05 or pre-05 version 990? The GS has more bass in my system (but not as deep, by a small margin).

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #58 of 79
I really don't think the DT990s have recessed mids...they just have exaggerated bass and highs. I've hate the sound of recessed mids as I have heard some speakers with that problem before...

I do hear sibliance on my DT990s. I've never heard it before so this is new to me...but I didn't need anyone to tell me that was sibliance...it's pretty obvious when you hear it. Luckily most of my music involves growling...not singing...

I'm tempted to check these DX1000s out...but it hasn't even been a month with the DT990s yet! And the DX1000s are around three-four times the price(DX1000s are $800 from what I see)

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

...... they have proved to be exactly the headphone I was looking for.

I'm glad you like these phones Nikolaus, they are indeed quite special and worth I think the asking price. They are not neutral although very much fun and in the end its all about enjoying the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back