have dt990... what's the next upgrade? (bought dx1000)
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 79
Basically, I just want to try something new, upgraditis got me bad. I'm happy with the dt990 as they are now, but I can't help but wonder if something else out there is even better.

It's not really driven by logic
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 79
Go for the JVC DX1000. Based on your post, I think you'd enjoy them a lot, and this way you will also have a very high quality closed can, which can come in handy.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b0dhi, how is the bass on the GS1000? And are they circumaural or supraaural? I'm not sure about the low volume thing, but they do look interesting.

hentai: Have you heard the ad2000? How is the bass? I'm asking because most descriptions of AT phones describe them as not having a lot of bass.

You can ask Asr about ad2000. I can say they are smooth sounding with good bass. There are different sounding headphones in AT line.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 79
Skylab: Thanks for your input. I seem to have pretty similar preferences to yours, so that's definitely really helpful.

Audiocats: I actually have a Stax Lambda Pro, and while it's a nice can, I just always end up using the dt990. So I've concluded that I need something with a more "fun" sound.

I think I'll give the DX1000 a try, they definitely look very intriguing. Now I just gotta save up some cash, or see if I can find anything in the FS forum.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 79
iems?, give eu11 a look if u like to spend money wich u seam as you want to buy something to replace something you like =). looking at the ue11 myself, but I like iems, the tfp10 is just great (like them over the hd650 for the moment I think.. havent desided there yet tho).

Mmmm want that ralcable.,.-.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiocats: I actually have a Stax Lambda Pro, and while it's a nice can, I just always end up using the dt990. So I've concluded that I need something with a more "fun" sound.

The fun sound..... if that means more high quality bass, maybe you can find a pair of Yamaha YH-100 and try to commission swt61 to make you a pair of donuts?

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 79
the availability of YH-100 can be a problem, and since the news about the donuts are already out, the next Yh-100 auction might go pretty high, I will guess around $120-$150 or even higher. And the YH-100 are supposedly the Only drivers that promise the super clean sound with super strong bass. You probably want to PM swt61 for more details about the donuts.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 79
Nikolaus I took a look at your for sale thread and i think I know why you did not like Lambda Pro. You where using a normal bias energizer with them, SRD-7/SB. The will probably sound bad out if the low bias energizer.
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #27 of 79
Faust: That could definitely be, I bought the energizer together with the Lambdas and the plugs fit, so I assumed it was correct
smily_headphones1.gif
Overall I just found them too remote and uninvolving sounding for my tastes, also there wasn't enough bass. They were very precise and delicate sounding though.

I gotta say, I've pretty much concluded that electrostatics are not for me, mostly because of the somewhat lacking bass and slightly uninvolving sound. I know that's a generalization, but surely if my tastes are on the somewhat bass heavy side of dynamics, electrostatics would have a hard time delivering enough bass?

IpodPJ: Actually, yes I have. There's a shop nearby who will be getting a pair soon, which they promised me I could listen to. Only thing is, they mostly sell speakers, so I'm pretty sure they don't have a nice headphone amp. However they got some pretty high end speaker amps and what not, so hopefully that'll be sufficient. Also the headphones probably won't be burned in. How amp and burn in dependent are the d5000?

Right now I'm pretty much settled for the JVC DX1000, but also considering the D5000 if it sounds nice.

I just gotta figure out whether I'm gonna spend my money on another pair of headphones or a pair of Minipod speakers and a power amp. Ah, decisions
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 79
I would recommend the Denon D2000s first, and if you love their sound sig, you can always recable them. I did this and love their sound. I would stay away from 600 ohm cans because the Opera has some gain limitations.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 79
I'm driving my 600ohm from the Opera without issue. In high gain mode, the volume dial is at 12 o'clock, which I find plenty loud enough.

Since I'll have a chance to audition the D5000, I don't see any point in buying the d2000 first, unless it sounds better of course (I'll audition them together with the d5000)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably go check out the d5000 this weekend, that should hopefully give me an idea of what to do next. If they're good I'll get them and save some money over the dx1000, if I don't like them, I think I'll just splash the cash for the dx1000. Worst case scenario, I can probably sell them at not too much of a loss.

One thing that's slightly worrying about the d5000 though, is the reported build quality problems, which is a bit disappointing for such an expensive headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back