have dt990... what's the next upgrade? (bought dx1000)
Oct 9, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the JVC DX1000. Based on your post, I think you'd enjoy them a lot, and this way you will also have a very high quality closed can, which can come in handy.

I second this opinion, although I just received my JVCs so I'm a little biased right now.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #32 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]I'll probably go check out the d5000 this weekend, that should hopefully give me an idea of what to do next. If they're good I'll get them and save some money over the dx1000, if I don't like them, I think I'll just splash the cash for the dx1000. Worst case scenario, I can probably sell them at not too much of a loss.

One thing that's slightly worrying about the d5000 though, is the reported build quality problems, which is a bit disappointing for such an expensive headphone.

Nikolaus, two quick points:

1. How much do the width and the depth of the soundstage matter to you? I like the D5000 a lot, but, as far as soundstaging, they will be a downgrade for you coming from the DT990-600. On that front, the DX1000 is a sure-fire upgrade. Their soundstaging is at least wider than the 990's. These phones all sound different. If I had to choose only one between the D5000 and the DX1000, it would be the latter.

2. IMO, the build quality of the D5000 is much better than some here at Head-Fi would have us believe. Granted, there was a high number of complaints about the loosening screws. I didn't have that problem. It is something to worry about, of course. But, other than that, their build quality is very respectable for the money. To put this in perspective, compare them to Sennheisers and Grados in their price range. And isn't that plastic I see in pictures of the Ultrasones?

Cheers,

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #33 of 79
Thanks for the input everyone. This has definitely helped me confirm that I should go for the DX1000.

Soundinista: I'd hate to buy a new headphone which was a downgrade in regards to soundstage, I feel it's a pretty important part of the sound.

I'll look into ordering the DX1000 tomorrow, I'm hoping that I can avoid VAT with a little help from audiocubes
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 79
Oct 10, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

....... I'm hoping that I can avoid VAT with a little help from audiocubes
wink.gif

Nope, they state the exact amount on the box. The question for you is what is the limit in your country before they apply in your case, VAT?

You might be interested to read my Mini Review, a work in progress at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263808

Hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

IpodPJ: Actually, yes I have. There's a shop nearby who will be getting a pair soon, which they promised me I could listen to. Only thing is, they mostly sell speakers, so I'm pretty sure they don't have a nice headphone amp. However they got some pretty high end speaker amps and what not, so hopefully that'll be sufficient. Also the headphones probably won't be burned in. How amp and burn in dependent are the d5000?

Right now I'm pretty much settled for the JVC DX1000, but also considering the D5000 if it sounds nice.

From what I've read, the DX1000 seems to sound best with a limited range of genres, while the D5000 works well with anything. But I was considering the DX1000 as well before I purchased these. But I'm thrilled with my purchase. In fact, Skylab uses the D5000 for all of his amp reviews. The DX1000 will cost you anywhere from $765 and up. The D5000 can be had for between $497 on Amazon, and you can purchase an extended warranty through them as well. If your local store carries the D5000, they will sell for $699 as they do in the local stores around here.

If your sound preferences are anything like mine, I much prefer closed cans to open ones. That's not to say I won't eventually buy a pair of open cans, but closed cans have punchier bass and a more intimate feel.

I bought from Amazon, they work great. And with the D5000, you know you're not spending part of your headphone money on a case, because you don't get one.
tongue.gif
Although a case would be nice if they had one. You can't just throw these things into a loose bag. They are delicate.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #39 of 79
Cecala: I emailed audiocubes to ask if they could put on a lower value for VAT. They told me to choose USPS for shipping and ask for a lower value in the comment, so I'm hoping this will work out. Apparently Fedex are "much serious"
biggrin.gif
about customs, so the chance of getting through without paying VAT is far greater with USPS.

The limit for VAT in my country is $50, which is what I asked them to put on. I sure hope customs don't know anything about headphones
biggrin.gif

Oh and I already read your review, which also helped me make my decision, so it's definitely appreciated.

IpodPJ: Well, I've already ordered the DX1000, as I think they're right for me, however I'm still planning to go check out the d5000 and d2000, just to know what they sound like.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #40 of 79
Quote:

....The limit for VAT in my country is $50, which is what I asked them to put on. I sure hope customs don't know anything about headphones....

Man, that is truly unfair, I always complained about this about Australian Customs charges, which by the way is $1000.00 before they want their cut.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #41 of 79
Heh, I decided to double check and I was wrong.

Actually you have to pay 12% customs + 25% VAT on everything, unless it's a gift (then the $50 rule applies). Usually you also have to add a fee that the shipping company charges for handling in customs.

So it could definitely end up being really freaking expensive
frown.gif
. Now I'm just hoping that they believe the $50 value and either won't bother or they'll add the customs and VAT based on the $50.

Man, living in Denmark sucks sometimes.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 79
Thought I'd add a small update. It's been over 2 weeks since I ordered the JVCs from audiocubes and I still haven't received any shipping notice. I emailed once asking what's going on and they told me that my product would be shipped in a few days as they received it. Now more than a week later, I've emailed again, and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Cecala speculated (in PM), that the JVCs are no longer being made and my recent experiences seem to support that theory. So if you're in the market for a DX1000 this would seem to be the last chance. I'm still hoping that audiocubes will come through and eventually send me my pair.

However, I'm really starting to have my doubts if I'll ever receive a pair so today I decided to go on a headphone listening spree at the local shops, hoping to find a possible alternative (and just check out different headphones) to the DX1000.

I listened to the following headphones: Denon d2000, Sennheiser hd650, Grado RS1, Grado GS1000. Some quick impressions:

Music: Kanye West - Graduation, John Mayer - Continuum, and a third local act which is electronic rock basically.

Denon D2000: These are pretty good actually. Very comfortable and nice to wear, however the leather pads did make my head a bit sweaty. They have a lot of bass, but unlike the beyer dt770 the mids doesn't suffer that much from the bass, and they still pack a really good punch. I'd probably even recommend these over dt770.

One thing sort of destroyed the experience for me though. The soundstage is basically non-existent. Everything is jammed together really closely inside your head. I could maybe get used to this, but coming straight from the dt990 (with crossfeed on) it was really annoying, and I feel it does take away from the experience of the music. Too bad, because apart from that, I really liked them. Sadly this probably also means (from what someone else wrote here earlier) that the D5000 won't be a viable alternative to the DX1000 for me.

Listened straight out of a ~$1000 Denon CDP, not sure how that affected the sound though.

HD650: Didn't really think I'd like these, but thought I might as well try them. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the d2000, they have a lot of clamping force and the padding isn't nearly as soft either. They had a decent amount of bass and sounded pretty good, soundstage was nice and big as well. However they were very dark sounding and the music was really colored and not very natural sounding. I don't really feel these are an upgrade over the dt990 in any way, and the dark sound really put me off.

I know that someone will tell me that if i spend $500 on a recable and get a $3000 dollar amp they will be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but so will most headphones?

Grado GS1000: Listened to these out of a pretty crappy headphone amp. John Mayer sounded good, but the other 2 albums sounded like crap really. Happily the nice people at the store let me borrow a pair(!) that I could bring home to listen to on my own system, so I'm writing this with a GS1000 on!
biggrin.gif
Using these with a proper amp cured the problems I was having with the sound at first.

Comfort is great, they're very light, despite the wood and their size. I'd say they're even more comfortable than the d2000, because there isn't any leather touching my head warming it up. The soundstage is huge, they are very detailed and do a great job of producing a very natural sound. Drums also have a very nice snap and impact to them, which is great. I gotta say these sound fantastic, I prefer them to my dt990 so far.

My only gripe with them, is that I'd really like more bass. Most music sounds great, but I do have some electronic songs which are pretty bass driven, and these simply have too little bass to make those songs sound good. If they had more bass, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Grado RS1: Listened to these right after the the GS1000 out of the same crappy amp, which probably wasn't very fair. However the extremely small inside-my-face soundstage quickly made me give them up. And I thought the GS1000 sounded better in every aspect really.

So, right now I'm listening to the GS1000, I'm supposed to return them sometime during the next week, so I'll enjoy them until then. I'm still waiting for Audiocubes to answer my e-mail, if they aren't able to deliver my DX1000, I gotta say the GS1000 are a very strong alternative.

Edit: Haha "small update". Incredibly while writing this quite lengthy post I just received an e-mail from Audiocubes that they will be shipping my DX1000 later today, as they finally received my DX1000. So YAY! Dx1000 incoming! Unless I really don't like the DX1000, I guess this makes my comparison slightly irrelevant, however hopefully someone else can benefit from it.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 79
Since it doesn't seem like you'll be buying those now-used GS1000.......wouldn't it be nice if those kind folks at the shop sold them to me at a greatly reduced price. Those Grado's deserve repatriation back to me .....here, in their homeland
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #45 of 79
uh........oops. Doesn't seem likely
smily_headphones1.gif
Doesn't fantabulous describe, more accurately, those fantabulous Danish Blonde women?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back