Have D2000's, worth getting HD25's/DT990's?
May 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

grapefruit

100+ Head-Fier
After owning the D2000 since christmas, I'm debating whether I should shell out some dough for a set of comparable cans. I love the Denons to death, but the hot treble can be fatiguing sometimes. I've been eyeing the HD25's for a while, and they seem like a great supplement to my collection, since as of now I don't have a pair of high quality portable cans, but the accounts of sibilance and small soundstage are kind of a turnoff.  The Beyers on the other hand sound like a good buy, but they aren't portable and the frequency response indicates a colored sound.

I listen to pretty much everything except country, with a slight bent towards electro, so what do you guys think? 

May 26, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 16
I've heard of the tma1s as being somewhat of a basshead headphone, and I've read that the beyer 1350's dont quite beat out the hd25's.  Also, I quite like the design and durability of the hd25's, which is why I'm so curious about the SQ.  

May 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 16
well I would look at the hd25s(with valour pads), or the dt1350. both work good straight out of a iPhone or iPod, but too bring out the really good sound you need a portable amp. the sennheiser amperiors may be exactly what your looking for but there are not enough reviews too tell how good they are, and the bowers and wilkins p5 fit your criteria well...... if you are one of the people that can get a good fit with them(you need too play around with them for a few on your head) because if you don't get a good fit they don't really sound good at all so try them out at your local apple store before you buy them. Then you have the vmoda m80s that also fir your criteria well in terms of sound but the look took a while too grow on me so I don't know if you like them or not.

May 27, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 16
DT990 Pro feels like two pillows... soundstage is nice, bass is not overwhelming but perfect, it is a tad bit bright but it really brings out the details! Beware though... it's 250 ohm so you might need an amp for this depending on your source. I recommend it highly!

May 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 16
I've got a fiio E17 so amping is no problem, but what I think I'm most concerned about is sound quality here.  The B&W's design is a little pretentious for my taste, and I'm not very impressed with the sound (they have them on demo in the apple store). As for the 770's brightness is not my greatest concern, but if the treble's a little hot, I'm going to steer away from them.  Can anyone comment on the "smoothness" of the hd25's?  I hear they're a bit grainy, but if that's not a widespread thing, I may just settle on them.

May 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 16
If you feel like the D2000 can have bothering treble, stay away from the DT990s.  Also I wouldn't consider DT990 a good enough of an upgrade over the D2000 since they share many similar qualities.

May 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 16
alright, sounds like the hd25's then! Maybe when I'm out of school I'll go about machining some aluminum cups for my hd-25's and seeing how they compare to the amperiors.  Thanks for the input guys.

May 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 16
HD 25 are a big step down from D2000 imo.  I found that HD 25 have a strong mid-bass emphasis and zero soundstage which made them sound thumpy and flat.  D2000 have their flaws but overall they are much more enjoyable.  For portability my preference is iems and for variety I'd look into a good open headphone.

May 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
After owning the D2000 since christmas, I'm debating whether I should shell out some dough for a set of comparable cans. I love the Denons to death, but the hot treble can be fatiguing sometimes. I've been eyeing the HD25's for a while, and they seem like a great supplement to my collection, since as of now I don't have a pair of high quality portable cans, but the accounts of sibilance and small soundstage are kind of a turnoff.  The Beyers on the other hand sound like a good buy, but they aren't portable and the frequency response indicates a colored sound.

I listen to pretty much everything except country, with a slight bent towards electro, so what do you guys think? 

Have you considered sending your Denons to Lawton Audio for the mod? There may not be a need for another headphone.

May 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 16
I have similar question here as the OP.
I jumped from m50 to D2000 and loved the sound improvement and comfort of the headphones. As someone new to hi-fi headphones, I don't really have any expectation or idea of better headphones. What are the recommendations of significant upgrade from a D2000 or just another set for comparison(I've never even heard any open cans before)?

May 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I have similar question here as the OP.
I jumped from m50 to D2000 and loved the sound improvement and comfort of the headphones. As someone new to hi-fi headphones, I don't really have any expectation or idea of better headphones. What are the recommendations of significant upgrade from a D2000 or just another set for comparison(I've never even heard any open cans before)?

A few well-documented natural upgrades to D2000 that don't cost a fortune are (in no particular order)

Denon D5000,

Hifiman HE-400 / 500,

Sennheiser HD650 (only if you have a great amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back