Have $750.00 for new source.
Jan 3, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 49
Xeno7651,

I'm just curious, what amp/s did you try with the Jolida?

Paired with the MG Head I hear very similar things, but these "faults" are also typically given to the MGH. Certain hard rock/metal songs are way too slow, but OTOH my ears have not heard better small jazz ensamble and female voices. It is not nearly as tubey through my Pioneer receiver (cough, cough) and, of course, not at all through the CDP headphone out. I'm really thinking a SS amp will solve alot of this or maybe just a different tube amp.

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 49
Do yourself a favor.

Go the 555 route.

You can pick up a used 555ES for 5 to 6 hundred.
Get the mods for $600
Still have 3 to 4 hundred left for a used Virtual Dynamics Nite Power Cord.

END OF STORY!!!!!!

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 49
Guild,
I used the Jolida with an AudioValve RKV MKII. I had the Music Hall CD25 and the Jolida at the same time and used them both with the RKV. The Music Hall has much more energy with the RKV than the Jolida and in the end I prefered the Music Hall.

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 49
Brad Harper,
With your new budget, go to Audiogon and get a Meridian. There is a 508.20 for $1000, a super good deal IMO. Save the extra $500 to buy some nice interconnects and power cord.

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 49
I wish I can double my audio budget...

Since you are at $1500, I just wanna throw Linn Ikemi at you. I was smitten by this source at a meet. I've seen one on audiogon for $1700
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #22 of 49
Someone is selling a Sharp SACD with the matching DSD Amp-DAC and the interconnect for 1850 on A-gon. Having bought this combo I cannot stop singing its praises. Try beating down the guy to your $1500 price. This combo is incredible. I am not an audiophile, but I have heard my brother $25K system and I think this combo sounds a lot better for a lot less and looks amazing too. The biggest adavantage is that this is one of the only SACD players with a direct DSD output that with the digital amp provides the most seamless integration between the source and the speakers. The bass reponse on this sytem is astounding with wonderful imaging and extremely focused presentation. It has a really easy sound to listen to.

Jan 4, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by meech
Do yourself a favor.

Go the 555 route.

You can pick up a used 555ES for 5 to 6 hundred.
Get the mods for $600
Still have 3 to 4 hundred left for a used Virtual Dynamics Nite Power Cord.

END OF STORY!!!!!!

Listen to Meech, I own this player, as does Markl, SACD Lover and others. It cant be beaten for three times the price, AND you get not only superb redbook, but also great SACD in a beautifully constructed player. Highest recommendation.
Do a search and read some of the threads about it, you wont be sorry.
As far as the Sony X777ES, its a superbly built player, and very nice to look at, and was once one of the finest players in the world, but that was long ago. I just use mine as a transport these days. Its DAC simply cant compare with more modern ones.

JC

Jan 4, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 49
I stand by my belief that spending 300-400 dollars on a powercable is simply silly when you can reproduce something that will be simliar for less than 100 dollars.

Regardless, i reccomend you just get a cary 303 used off of A-gon.

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 49
I will have between $1500.00-1800.00 by the end of next week to spend on a source and cables. Thus far, here is what I am considering:

Shanling T-100 w/ W.E. tubes
Meridian 508/588?
Sony 555ES with SACDmods upgrade
Cary 303/308
Arcam FMJ-23T

I am leaning tword the Meridian option only because of the small foot print. I know this is nothing to go on, but I have not heard any of these players so it is the only point of reference I have to go on.

This will go into a home system with RKV MK2 amp and HD600/Cardas or HD650/? phones. I will pick new interconects after I get the source in place.

I would love any additional information and comments that anyone has on these or any other CDP I have overlooked.

Thanks to all who have contributed,
Brad

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 49
You might want to do a search on the Audiogon forums or AudioAsylum for the various players you listed. From my personal experience so far, I would recommend the Shanling T100 or Meridian 508.20 or 508.24. I think the only players that are worth upgrading over the Shanling or the Meridian would be those in the extreme $$ end.

Jan 5, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #30 of 49
I have been tracking a couple of Meridians. I can get a hold of a Meridian 588 for $1500.00 shipped, but it is overseas which makes me a little nervous. The other possibility is the Meridian 507 at $1300.00 or 508.20 for around $1000.00.

I think the best deal is the 588. They will only accept a wire transfer for that price and I don't know if there is any protection for me on that type of transaction.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back