Hate to open the Beresford can of worms, but...
Sep 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #76 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've followed this issue for awhile, opening every thread that bears the Beresford name, and I've got to agree with Stanley on this one. There seems to be a weird negativity toward this product on this particular board.

which can be contributed for 95% to Herandu's hyperbole about the product in the past. Those are the threads where things get hostile.
If you exclude those, I think people here are generally positive about the Beresford. That includes me.
I do believe some people here suffer from black and white thinking and/or difficulty reading. Meaning when you criticise something oh you must be evil and against it.

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #77 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley,

I'll test the Beresford's DAC performance against the Citypulse 7.2 and its head amp performance against the 7.2 and Little Dot MKIV if you are willing to send it to the U.S.

Headamp tests as well?
popcorn.gif
. Maybe the forth coming souped up addition, the 7510+, might be a better product to test if you talking headamp as well.
I have ripped out the standard 7510 analogue output and headamp circuit and replaced them with a new set of circuits in order to take care of some unfinished business. The original 7510 design had some final sale's price versus performance constrains, which meant that some compromises had to be made. But the time seems right to remove the shackles and unleash an unrestricted version as an alternative choice next to the classic 7510. One addition in the 7510+ is the 'powered down' version of the headphone circuit that will form the basis of a planned stand alone headamp. K701 users have been screaming that they want more bass from their headamps. But stand alone solutions have so far been similarly priced to the K701 itself. The 7510+ headamp circuit will test the waters with a number of aural break trough solutions for die hard headphone users. The K701 lack of bass, even when used with many stand alone headamps, is one of the things that the 7510+ hopes to finally put to rest. Anyone living in or close to London and wishing to bring their K701 along to have a listen to the pre-production 7510+ headamp circuit should PM or email me. As long as your name is not Herandu
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #78 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do believe some people here suffer from black and white thinking and/or difficulty reading. Meaning when you criticise something oh you must be evil and against it.

Don't dwell on it bro. Your own comments have helped to add balance to the Beresford debate, which is not a bad thing at all. I don't hold it against you in any way. Grijze haren maken de man
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #79 of 111
When are we going to see the 7510+ and any specs yet stanley?

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #81 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully in November, if all the required approval testing goes well.
Specs wise, there is little I wish to give away at this time
wink.gif

Good stuff - I'll be in the market for one as a replacement for the zero i currently have as it has given me nothing but bother. Read a lot of good things about the 7510 on another forum e.g. using slightly higher voltage psu etc.

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #82 of 111
I did a comparo of the Beresford and Lavry DA10 some time ago to hear which would be the basis of my HT system for music (should be searchable)
The Beresfordmk4 or 5 can't remember, beat out the dac from the SB3 easily and...well it should, and it also beat out the dac's from my new Emotiva preamp and the now classic Sony sacd 555ES. But the Lavry brought with it better bass, deeper and more controled, a stunning soundstage and detail/forwardness that worked very well with my speakers. Midrange qualities were very equivalent. So the Lavry solidly got it's place in the HT system.
Recently I have been working on my Stax system and against the Pico and Lavry...the Lavry once again had the sound I was looking for ...but the Beresford held up very well next to the Pico...via the SR007 the bass, mids were very neck and neck...the Pico having more neutrality and detail, and the sound was "cleaner"...I did like the Beresford better tho when using it with the Lambda's, which are forward type earspeakers and have upper mid screetch to them. But it really took awhile to sort things out between the two in terms of its sound. This new 7510 sounds very interesting indeed and look forward to its release.
The Beresford currently is back in the HT and I truely do not miss the Lavry in this system that much...I usually have the speakers in Party mode anyway when listening to music in this set up.
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #83 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really like to see a review that compares the beresford to other component dac's in its price range. I've read mixed reviews of the O1, and it simply doesn't seem like an ideal basis for comparison in this instance.

In order to determine whether or not the beresford is truly a good value, in an objective sense, we need a shoot out among the common sub $500 dacs: beresford, zero, keces, paradesia (with the right tubes), scott-nixon, and maybe a used ack! dac and an ori modded zhalou.

I keep hoping I'll stumble on something of this kind, but to date, the major head-fi comparisons all seem to focus on amplification, largely disregarding sources.

Perhaps I did not do a good job with my impressions. I compared the Beresford w/ two other sources, the O1 Amp/Dac and the Sony DVP-NS300. IMO the Beresford was superior to the Sony but not as good as the O1 Amp/Dac. The O1 sold for $300 when new vs. the $200 for the Beresford.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

Headamp tests as well?
popcorn.gif
. Maybe the forth coming souped up addition, the 7510+, might be a better product to test if you talking headamp as well.
I have ripped out the standard 7510 analogue output and headamp circuit and replaced them with a new set of circuits in order to take care of some unfinished business. The original 7510 design had some final sale's price versus performance constrains, which meant that some compromises had to be made. But the time seems right to remove the shackles and unleash an unrestricted version as an alternative choice next to the classic 7510. One addition in the 7510+ is the 'powered down' version of the headphone circuit that will form the basis of a planned stand alone headamp. K701 users have been screaming that they want more bass from their headamps. But stand alone solutions have so far been similarly priced to the K701 itself. The 7510+ headamp circuit will test the waters with a number of aural break trough solutions for die hard headphone users. The K701 lack of bass, even when used with many stand alone headamps, is one of the things that the 7510+ hopes to finally put to rest. Anyone living in or close to London and wishing to bring their K701 along to have a listen to the pre-production 7510+ headamp circuit should PM or email me. As long as your name is not Herandu
tongue.gif

Stanley, I would love to test the new version. However, I will buy it and thus avoid the possible comments of my review being biased for getting a loaner. When you are ready to start selling it send me a PM so I can send you the payment via PayPal. If it is better than the one breakfastchef loaned me and it sells for about the same it would be one heck of a deal.

Let me know. Thanks.

Miguel

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #85 of 111
Quote:

But the time seems right to remove the shackles and unleash an unrestricted version as an alternative choice next to the classic 7510.

When you do release the new version will the classic 7510 have an improved DAC section or will it be the same as the present 7510?

I ask because I have no need of a headamp in the DAC and if there is no improvement I may buy a 7510 sooner.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #86 of 111
The Classic will remain untouched. Look what happened to Coca Cola when they tried to discard the classic Coke. One learns from the mistake of others
smile.gif
. Remind me that you posted this question when you order
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #87 of 111
Stanley, I'm listening to one of your DACs right now, courtesy of Miguel. It sounds very good. Lucinda Williams just crawled inside my head and started telling me about her essence. It strikes me as a bit forward in the mids. I call that a good thing. Sorry I can't comment more. Too busy listening....

Tim

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #88 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley, I'm listening to one of your DACs right now, courtesy of Miguel. It sounds very good. Lucinda Williams just crawled inside my head and started telling me about her essence. It strikes me as a bit forward in the mids. I call that a good thing. Sorry I can't comment more. Too busy listening....

Tim

Actually, that Beresford belongs to breakfastchef. The O1 Amp/Dac belongs to me. Both are very nice, keep on listening.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #89 of 111
I guess I missed the good parts of the Beresford "fights", but I did try one, and ended up with another source. A bit too "digital" sounding to me and not really up to critical listening for my taste. Nothing dealbreakingly serious, especially considering it was just $200. The maker was nice and gave me a good deal too.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #90 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I missed the good parts of the Beresford "fights", but I did try one, and ended up with another source. A bit too "digital" sounding to me and not really up to critical listening for my taste. Nothing dealbreakingly serious, especially considering it was just $200. The maker was nice and gave me a good deal too.

Which version was it, and how long did you burn it in? The pre-MK6 versions had a different PCB design and resistor/caps combination that sounded to 'mechanical' to me. The MK6 PCB sounds a lot warmer, but the Hermei electrolytic caps that I use need a 150+ hours burn in according to the manufacturer. After that the DAC will sound far more analogue.
One test I let customers visiting me experience is to listen to a DAC that has had a month or so of burn in, and one that is brand new out of the box.
For those with a cold amp and speakers, my 2nd stage anti-aliasing filter bypass mod brings more warmth and soundstage depth to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back