Has someone tried the LG HiFi Plus?
Dec 2, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 64
​If you look up the measurements on GSMArena, the G5 by itself totally sucks and is handily beaten by the B&O "Friend." However, when you compare the B&O Frenemy to the LG V10, their performance is waaaaaay too close to each other. The Galaxy Note phones aren't too far behind, and the S series aren't too far behind those.

So basically it's like LG deliberately didn't improve the sound of the G series so that when you buy it the Frenemy will sound like a heck of a lot better by comparison. Might as well take other features into account when you buy a phone rather than just getting the G5 so you can blow more money on the Bang and Olufsen Frenemy.
I think measurements as numbers alone cannot define the sound completely. If i am not wrong, the G5 + hifi plus still is the best soy s currently possible from a cellphone, but it looks odd to have a large chin on a phone like that. If LG had the saber built into the phone it would have been a better idea. This is dumb, I wonder who on earth would like to do so much of steps to change the modules. also, I read somewhere else(cannot recall) that this module works best with the G5. I wish I had one to see how it compares with the cheap hifimediy's 9018 dac amp. Moreover I don't think there are so much sound enthusiasts around! Most people just need some sort of sound from the phone. The others need devices which are standalone. iPhone users on the other hand are already exposed to some sort of good sound though not by their choice!

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

I think measurements as numbers alone cannot define the sound completely. If i am not wrong, the G5 + hifi plus still is the best soy s currently possible from a cellphone, but it looks odd to have a large chin on a phone like that. If LG had the saber built into the phone it would have been a better idea.

I can't find the review anymore but I read a qualitative comparison before and the observation was that the V10 was a smoother, more neutral sound while the wallet Frenemy had a little bit of Gradofying effect on the sound, ie, bumping up the mids on music a little bit. Personally if it's between these two only get the G5 if you don't want to use a large phone like the Notes and V10.

​Also, between the SGS and Note series, all the ones I've owned or tried have a slight bump in the bass in the S series. I still prefer the Notes, but like right now I got an S5 for $5 from my carrier, and because that one has better terms on roaming data, I use Spotify on it and just EQ the bass bump to reduce the distortion. I still have reference tracks on my Note3's microSD though.

Quote:

This is dumb, I wonder who on earth would like to do so much of steps to change the modules.

Well unless you can't fit the wallet Frenemy module into the same cases that fit the stock module, or need to swap out to the camera grip module, you won't have to swap them.

Quote:

also, I read somewhere else(cannot recall) that this module works best with the G5.

Well, it only works on the G5.

Quote:

Moreover I don't think there are so much sound enthusiasts around! Most people just need some sort of sound from the phone. The others need devices which are standalone. iPhone users on the other hand are already exposed to some sort of good sound though not by their choice!

Barring a really bad design of the circuit or the audio chip itself, you only really need a high sensitivity IEM to get good sound out of a smartphone (and some kind of hack to get around software EQ built into it if it has any). The high sensitivity and isolation levels will prevent you from squeezing the chip's output to the point where there is audible distortion, so as long as channel separation and noise levels are low enough, you just choose based on specific features, price, and availability between such phones that perform well enough for audio.

That said, if i'd get anything other than an S6, it'd be a Note or the V series.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #19 of 64
  recently i bought this device and run some test with my lg v10 , general sound is very similar but with more power , i can't compare to v10 right now becouse i need more time to test but in around 1 hours testing with diffrent headphones everything is better on hifi plus dac , in future i will direct comparison hifi plus dac vs v10
my main problem is i can not use with windows 10 on pc and dell venue 8 tablet , i try diffrent cable but didn't work , problem is windows driver and after searching on internet i can't find any solution to fix , but work flawlessly with android

Edit 1 : finally i find driver and work witout any issue on windows 10

pls let me know the driver u downloaded

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 64
Well, it only works on the G5.
Not quite true - it works as a regular USB DAC if using the original cover (to make a whole unit) and the USB OTG C cable...

I bought the DAC before getting the G5 - and was running it on my Galaxy S7E quite happily...

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #21 of 64
Not quite true - it works as a regular USB DAC if using the original cover (to make a whole unit) and the USB OTG C cable...

I bought the DAC before getting the G5 - and was running it on my Galaxy S7E quite happily...

I didn't read that in prior reviews and assumed the drivers are customized to recognize only LG phones. Still, in terms of the form factor, there's how it slips into the G5 vs however it can be used with other sources. Not a problem if it's on a table, but with a smartphone anywhere else, there are slightly larger portable DAC-HPamps that have their own batteries and can drive more demanding cans for a lot less money. This is at best a bonus feature for when the G5 user feels the phone is obsolete.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 64
I bought one of these. It works HighGain the trick. Like the LG V10 / 20 only. !
An extender and a 75-ohm impedance Adaptors be added. It will be great to gain (low distortion) course under 50 Ohm headphones should be used. I'm a PC and Galaxy were posted S7 also tried. She has a beautiful voice. Now eBay very cheaply you can get.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 64
Can you provide the direct link?
It seems just goto the LG landing page.

I used v1.0 driver on 64bit Win10.  It works fine but I reboot or I power off/on my laptop (Lenovo T460) and then I get a blue screen of death.

I tried two different quality usb-c cable so it is not a cable prob.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 64
I found a workaround that is only plug the earphone or speaker cable after my laptop boots up.

Yes :) First, insert it into the aux / headphone cable to the B & O module.
Then plug in the USB-c cable to the PC , because the only way to detect ,the driver .

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 64
That's not what I did. The hifi+ is always connected to the laptop. I can only boot up normally without win rebooting is only connect the headphone cable after the laptop is booted to win.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #28 of 64
That's not what I did. The hifi+ is always connected to the laptop. I can only boot up normally without win rebooting is only connect the headphone cable after the laptop is booted to win.

I do not really understand .
I work with win10.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #29 of 64
I bought a Samsung S8. The module's cable did not work. It went nicely for the S7.
Solution, the S8. The usb module in the doze is a normal usb / usbc. And put it into the LGHIFI plus module. Working perfectly . ((The Cirrus DAC in the Samsung S8 .. just one thing is worth nothing ..)) bullsh...t

May 10, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #30 of 64
UPDATE: THIS POST IS WRONG, IGNORE IT AND READ MY POST BELOW.

Just bought that thing in the hope that i can replace my HTC10 with a Nexus 6p or another phone and keep the sound quality with the help of this DAC (I love the 10's audio, but don`t like it as a phone). But after connecting that B&O device to my computer and some test hearing in comparison with the HTC10, i`m pretty dissapointed. The HTC10 is not just better, it absolutely destroys it. That DAC sounds muddy and artificial in comparison and it`s also not as loud (which is not too important, as it`s still loud enough.)
I didn`t connect it to the phone yet because it doesn`t come with a Usb-c to usb-c cable, but i just ordered one and will update this post by tommorow if the quality is better with the phone. I don`t really believe it since i don`t think it matters which device it is connected to because the sound will be processed by the DAC anyway, but we`ll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back