Has Recorded Music Ever Made You Freak-Out And Jump?
Aug 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 28
Opening few seconds of Beat the Bastards by the Exploited... the way it goes left right left right makes me take off my headphones every time it starts. On speakers no issues, on cheap headphones I'm ok, but with an amp on some grado sr325i's it creeps me out to no end.

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 28
Back when Sad Wings Of Destiny came out I had this funny import orange and white tape copy. What I remember was the little tape leader that you can see when the tape is all rolled up on one side was dayglow orange. I will never forget that tape. The only music to cause that type of fear was the end of Black Sabbaths Children Of The Grave. When we were 13 we would wait till about 11:00pm turn off all the lights and put that on the 8 track. We were not afraid of much but when the end of that song came they had these studio effects that sounded almost like the Friday The 13th soundtrack......chee.....chee.....chee....Children Of The Grave. Little did we know the song was about war.

This thread is really for stories about being freaked out due to the way headphones trick your mind into a false audio reality. The process is a little like when someone is behind a wall then jumps out at you. Some people get upset some people think it's fun. I yell!

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 28
there's an album of exotica jazz from Nino Nardini where some native drums are so realistically recorded that I always have the feeling that someone is banging on my window like a madman
biggrin.gif

now I know it, I don't get caught anymore! ..well not always
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 28
Too funny grawk. I will have to break out my copy of Radio Kaos. An under known masterpiece! The story would make a better movie than anything out this Christmas. This is just what I was looking to read about here. Wild animal and dog sounds may have place in our hearing history as humans. No one can argue the fact that those sounds stir us when not ready for. Even you with a classic that you know. Walter/Wendy Carlos has an album called Sonic Seasonings recorded in quad that has wolves howling. These maybe baby wolves or the recording was played back faster. They are shrill and very intense when you play this for the first time on headphones. The first time I played Sonic Seasonings was at 3:00am at a nice quiet apartment complex. It was summer I had all the windows open. Funny after an hour I noted that not only were the headphones on but the speakers were also on at about level 8. If you know this music you can just wonder what people next door thought?

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that no matter how many times I listen to He Doesn't Know Why by Fleet Foxes, I'm always caught off-guard by the part after what at first seems like the end of the song, where someone asks something like, "Keep Going?" and another person replies, "Yep." (Or words to that effect), which is then followed by the piano that really does end the song. The first time I heard that song was late at night and I was at home alone and I thought, "Oh screw, someone's broken in!" Even now, after hearing the song a million times, I still catch myself looking over my shoulder every now and then when that part of the song comes around.

Had a similar experience but probably not as dramatic.Makes the album that much organic and natural.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #24 of 28
Yes. Many times while under the influence - I once had a really weird reaction to the Symphony Fantastique under such circumstances. My SACD has a binaural version where they stuck a Neumann head in the balcony. It really sounds like you're there. Also, the music is a little freaky - check out the history of the piece - it's interesting. Some psychedelic rock (namely DSoTM and "Dusk at Cubist Castle" by the Olivia Tremor Control) still occasionally catch me off guard even though I've listened to both many, many times.

One that still catches me is "Waltz for Debby" by Bill Evans. It's an excellent recording and the SACD is superb. It's recorded live and catches a lot of background noise at the club. When using really sensitive gear (the HD-800, DT48, ribbons, and the Quad ESL-63) the background voices sometimes sound like they're coming from outside the room. More than once I've paused the disc to make sure no one is outside.

The Quads and ribbons have freaked me out many times, too. Sometimes, I've left them on playing the radio and came back to what really sounds like someone in the house when I open the door. If anyone is curious about freakily real vocals, try planars. They can genuinely fool you. If there was a singer and a pair of Magnepans, ribbons, electrostats, or AMTs behind a curtain, I'm not sure I could A/B the difference between them.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 28
MJs Thriller.. At some point in the song you hear someone knocking on the door, but the sound was coming from the exact place where my door really is..

Scared the hell out of me
ph34r.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 28
Door knocking for me as well, from the starting of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

Also in Dream Theater's cover of Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding, in the later part of the song there's some keyboard playing that sounds like my phone ringing.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentVX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also in Dream Theater's cover of Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding, in the later part of the song there's some keyboard playing that sounds like my phone ringing.

What album is that on? Sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back