Has Prolonged Headphone Use Negatively Affected Your HEARING?
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
How much does this device cost? Where to buy it? What is 'Range"?
What is A-weighted vs. C-weighted? What is Slow vs. fast Response?
How reliable are those measurements? This device picks up sound at
a certain location, not necessarily the way pinnae reflects the sound waves
into our ear canals.
Anyway, you've got my beyerdynamics DT880s.

Adam
blink.gif

I don't think Radio Shack still sells that model pictured...here's the new version:
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-7-range...i-2103668.html

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #47 of 66
I've been in car audi ofor years had a few 140+db sound systems for my daily system Its taken a slight toll on me. However high frequencies will kill hearing faster then sub 40hz tones. Cans are safe but as others have said use them within moderation.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #48 of 66
I haven't read this entire thread, but I'd just like to add to it. Ever since I heard about the lawsuit against Apple, and after having researched the dangers of loud music and the importance of hearing protection, I've been listening to my iBuds at 40% volume on my iPod. I didn't really notice anything happen to my hearing... However, once I got my first pair of REAL headphones, iems (AL iM716) (after extensive research and lurking on head-fi), my hearing got a lot more sensitive. The first few days I had them on, I couldn't hear anything around me (even without music playing). Now I can (sort of) hold a conversation with them still on (without music playing). My friend whispered my name from 20 feet away, and as I turned around to respond, he was surprised I actually heard him. I also carry my ER-20 earplugs with me wherever I go. In fact, I just used them at the football game I went to last night.

Sep 2, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
How much does this device cost? Where to buy it? What is 'Range"?
What is A-weighted vs. C-weighted? What is Slow vs. fast Response?
How reliable are those measurements? This device picks up sound at
a certain location, not necessarily the way pinnae reflects the sound waves
into our ear canals.
Anyway, you've got my beyerdynamics DT880s.

Adam
blink.gif

I can't take the time to reply to all of this, some answers are long, but let this suffice - it's accurate enough, better than nothing, use A weighting, slow, keep it below 85db peaks.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #50 of 66
I find it strange that over time, the more and more i use my phones the lower I set the volume. On my X-fi card the volume is generally set at 28% of max with the Grado RS-2s.

I have a slight ringing from time to time but that's more related to working in the aviation field in the Marine Corps a few years back...

But as a final note, when I was in class the other day I heard the clock ticking on the wall on the other side of the room so I figure my hearing is still half-way decent. This was while everyone was having idle conversation.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #51 of 66
My hearing has just got better and better. I was outside in the real world and I could hear everything clearer.

First impressions real world: Birds flying sounded stronger and heavier. Leaves rustling were more detailed and smoother. I could hear ants walking on the ground (over leaves). Wind was higher resolution. Water was more detailed, I could hear individual drops.

Sep 3, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #52 of 66
I notice slight details in sound more, so my actual hearing has improved.

On the other hand, I do have this weird pressure in my ears from time to time.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
My hearing has just got better and better. I was outside in the real world and I could hear everything clearer.

First impressions real world: Birds flying sounded stronger and heavier. Leaves rustling were more detailed and smoother. I could hear ants walking on the ground (over leaves). Wind was higher resolution. Water was more detailed, I could hear individual drops.

The ants part sounds more like drugs

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #54 of 66
Funny this poll is popping up now. I've been wearinf IEMs for listening outside over the past few years and been careful to turn the volume down. Lately though, I'm hear a very light ringing in my ears when in very quiet places, more so in my right ear on and off.

I'm considering just wearing ear plugs for extended period of time just to give my ears a rest
redface.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82

Methinks you spend far too little time there.

Sep 3, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #57 of 66
Hmm...
I think my hearing got more sensative that even some high notes would be hard on my ear. (this was like early this year)
Then my hearing got a bit less sensative and wasn't as acute as it was... Yeah I started blasting my speakers since I finally had a decent speaker rig.

But now I seems like my hearing has gotten better at studying the sound details while a bit higher then normal listening volume doesn't bother me anymore.

Plus it would depend on the day that my hearing is very accurate, Like I could hear someone cutting leaves outside when my window is slightly open. On other days it's like I'm deaf. lol

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobi
I've been in car audi ofor years had a few 140+db sound systems for my daily system Its taken a slight toll on me. However high frequencies will kill hearing faster then sub 40hz tones. Cans are safe but as others have said use them within moderation.

I don't think that human ears can handle 140+ db sounds.
I would be dead on the spot.

Your post has made me resurect my poll about it here.
Note that in my post under the Poll '140db' means jet engine noise/sound!

Adam
blink.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

I keep the A-weighted volume at less than 80db average. This will allow a lifetime of headphone listening.

...yeah, that is a good idea, ans who's the nut who listens at 92 dB
basshead.gif

eggosmile.gif

I've read several comments where people report an increased sensitivity and I will have to report the same experience. I've noticed that over the past couple years I don't listen at such high levels as I once did.

In that pic I was measuring what was the loudest that I would ever listen at, and for short periods.

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #60 of 66
Also in that photo, taken by GreatDane, the meter is set for "C" weighting. Keeping things under 80-85db C weighted is even more conservative. A weighting is the more normal measure here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back