Has Prolonged Headphone Use Negatively Affected Your HEARING?
Sep 1, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #31 of 66
My tinnitus has become a bit worse since I've been using headphones a lot but I blame that on the occassional ear infection I get. In terms of hearing range (I can hear up to 16kHz) it hasn't changed in years.

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #32 of 66
Certainly they made my hearing better though I have empty stomach and pocket!!! LOL
eggosmile.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #33 of 66
Setmenu,
your absolutely spot on. On another forum, there is an audiological scientist, who writes papers on hearing problems as well as working in theatre (hospital variety) advising on implants to surgeons, he would back you up 100%.

Someone mentioned gunshots - a long, long time ago I was working on a WW1 film set (1965) and we had been given Lee-Enfield rifles and the clip was loaded with blanks, a moronic neanderthal student ( it was the summer) squeezed the trigger about 3 feet from my left ear . He seemed so surprised when I tried to bayonet him. Luckily or otherwise (I'm not quite sure which)three mates stopped me, the upshot (pun intended) is that after many years I developed tinnitus in my left ear.

I took a hearing test when I was 55 and was told that the tests showed I had higher than average hearing BUT because of that gunshot I had lost the top 15% of hearing in my left ear.

Here's a fact that should interest everyone - as you get older, all of us begin to lose treble but gain in the bass. This is a stone cold fact and as we age should influence us in what we choose in the way of equipment. I have seen this in posts on this forum, as younger members talk more about 'bass requirements' than the old boys.

Stuart

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 66
I have mild tinnitus, in both ears most likely since it sounds in very center of my head. I also have sometimes figuring what someone is speaking if there is some background noise. (not to mention if one has habbit of mumbling when they speak) Has been like that as far as i can remember.

HOWEVER, when i quickly checked my hearing with doctor, i could hear all frequencies well. So there must be some other thing wrong in my hearing i guess. Doctor thought that perhaps my ears do not get aired well enough. Well, 90% of time i have one nostril almost shut (this time right nostril.) and overall breathing thru nose is sometimes difficult, and sometimes i hear a loud "pop", like something would have opened up, in my ear and everything seems very loud for few minutes after that. Happens couple of times in a year.

I have to go dedicated audiologist if i really want to check my ears accurately.

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
No. It's made my hearing more acute.

X3

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #36 of 66
I don't listen to headphones at high volume any more it makes averything elsa seem quiet. i try to keep the volume down when listening to phones ..it's hard though especially through the k81dj's (shameless plug)

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #37 of 66
I have always been paranoid about my hearing, especially with headphones. I listen at pretty low volumes, and cannot believe how high people turn up my gear when they try it. The last concert I went to was so loud it left me with ringing in my ears, and I would have left after the first song if I hadn't been with several people. Next concert: ER-20s. I am even considering taking them to movies now, because the cinemas here turn up the volume to painful levels.

My hearing is pretty good. I don't have any trouble hearing conversations, and as I said, I can play music at pretty low volumes and still enjoy it. I get (very) occasional short bursts of tinnitus in either ear, but I'm told this is not abnormal.

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #39 of 66
I've always been careful about protecting my hearing. I listen at moderate levels when wearing headphones, most of the time.
wink.gif

I have to admit that there have been a few late night air guitar sessions that involved some excessive volume. But that doesn't happen very often.

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

I have to admit that there have been a few late night air guitar sessions that involved some excessive volume. But that doesn't happen very often.

Nothing to worry. Few short sessions of louder listening here and there isnt anything ears cannot handle. When you want to rock, it has to be loud.
biggrin.gif
When normally listening, volume down and a lot.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Nothing to worry. Few short sessions of louder listening here and there isnt anything ears cannot handle. When you want to rock, it has to be loud.
biggrin.gif
When normally listening, volume down and a lot.

yup,

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #42 of 66
I have slight trouble sometimes when trying to follow a conversation and if there's background noise. I also have a slight ringing in my ears when it is quiet, but only if I focus on it.
I'm not sure if listening to headphones has increased the ringing, but it might be. As far as I know, I've had it all my life but I have been noticing it more often in the last year.
That could be down to me having developed a bit sharper hearing (mindwise, that is), and I just notice it more because of that. I don't listen loud but I have visited alot of large electronica concerts the past 2 years, so it could also be because of that. Either way, I've become very careful with loud sound and wouldn't fancy the ringing to get any worse.

I voted "I'm not sure yet".

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
As a former musician in a punk rock/metal band and former frequent clubgoer, etc., I have had a lot of episodic problems with my hearing. Ringing, fullness, the whole nine yards. So now, even though I very luckily recovered each time from these symptoms (sometimes quite awhile later though) and without more hearing loss (so far), I have learned to be *extremely* careful with my hearing. I have several hundred dollars worth of various custom made earplugs for various environments and are never, ever, no matter where I go--without at least one pair.

It's ridiculous the rap headphones get while no one mentions any of this other stuff that are a MILLION times worse.

Headphones by comparison are safe and sane. Just give your ears frequent breaks. Taking the headphones off and walking around every 20 minutes is a great idea. Don't crank the music for too long. If you feel too much pressure turn the music down. And if you have to listen in loud environments, subway, etc., buy some IEMs so you're not cranking music up to cover background noise. You do have to fight the temptation I suppose to turn the music up loud (as you do in your car, or your home speaker system, etc.) But it's not really brain surgery.

Yes, I take short breraks sometimes.

Adam
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 66
I've been very careful to measure my headphone volumes with an SPL meter to ensure safe listening levels. It's a REALLY good isea. Here's how:

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

I keep the A-weighted volume at less than 80db average. This will allow a lifetime of headphone listening.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I've been very careful to measure my headphone volumes with an SPL meter to ensure safe listening levels. It's a REALLY good isea. Here's how:

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

I keep the A-weighted volume at less than 80db average. This will allow a lifetime of headphone listening.

How much does this device cost? Where to buy it? What is 'Range"?
What is A-weighted vs. C-weighted? What is Slow vs. fast Response?
How reliable are those measurements? This device picks up sound at
a certain location, not necessarily the way pinnae reflects the sound waves
into our ear canals.
Anyway, you've got my beyerdynamics DT880s.

Adam
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back