Has Prolonged Headphone Use Negatively Affected Your HEARING?
Sep 3, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #61 of 66
FYI

When set to A, the meter primarily measures frequencies in the 500-10,000 Hz range, which is the area of greatest sensitivity to the human ear. When set to C, the meter measures uniformly over the frequency range from 32-10,000 Hz.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
I don't think that human ears can handle 140+ db sounds.
I would be dead on the spot.

Your post has made me resurect my poll about it here.
Note that in my post under the Poll '140db' means jet engine noise/sound!

Adam
blink.gif

140+ db in low frequencies and sub-sonic frequencies like 15-50hz. Gets your whole car vibrating and maybe your rear view mirror on the windsheild might fall off from all the bass.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #63 of 66
No, I take my hearing very seriously. Even when I was in radio, and now even when my job is music production, my hearing has been the same as ever - no damage at all. I never expose myself to prolonged periods of ultra loud/terrible noise. The only kind of loud volume I can take is when it is musical. I have very good pitch and a very sensitive, accurate ear, so I really would like to cherish it. I hate seeing these kids on the subways who listen so loud on their iBuds that I can hear it from across the train. That's audio suicide!

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
FYI

When set to A, the meter primarily measures frequencies in the 500-10,000 Hz range, which is the area of greatest sensitivity to the human ear. When set to C, the meter measures uniformly over the frequency range from 32-10,000 Hz.

What the A weighting attempts to mimick is the sensitivity of human hearing, which of course becomes less sensitive as frequency declines into the bass decade. C weighting measures more or less flat, but the human ear does not hear flat.

All OSHA standard for "safe hearing" are based on A weighting. How different A and C will be depend on your headphone's bass capabilities and the music you test with. Personally I set for high 70's dBA peaks and low-mid 80's dBC peaks.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #65 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
140+ db in low frequencies and sub-sonic frequencies like 15-50hz. Gets your whole car vibrating and maybe your rear view mirror on the windsheild might fall off from all the bass.

Crazy, I wonder what kind of people listen to music like that. I guess the same ones who install spinners and hydraulics on their cars.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #66 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Crazy, I wonder what kind of people listen to music like that. I guess the same ones who install spinners and hydraulics on their cars.

Most people who listen to rap/hiphop music usually have the loud bass system. They listen to their music like that with extremely loud bass where it seems like your trunk is going to rattle off.
Now I don't listen to any rap/hiphop music at all but I do have a subwoofer setup in my car but its not loud that my whole car is going to fall apart nor that I can't even hear the music play.

On other note, People would have a loud car audio system for car audio competition where you would see who's setup is louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back