Has Anyone Tried the New Graham Slee Solo SRG - Only $435 (But Climbing)???
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like so many people are curious and want an M3...with their limited availability compared to the ease of getting a new Graham Slee, you'd think that it would have better resale value, not that there's any need to ever get rid of it.

Yes... but... I just don't have the confidence to try one.

If I did it would be a YBM with a custom case (brushed aluminum with engraved labels) - without a "big orange power LED." I mean is "the guy" a "Halloween Freak," or what (black and orange) - he needs to update/upgrade his case. With a really slick, commerical-looking case... I suspect... I'd recover most of my investment... if I wanted to sell it." But... I'm still not sure."

Whereas... I'm pretty confident, I'd recover most of my investment on resale of a Solo SRG, or a Caliente.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 39
Has anyone been able to compare the new Solo SRG to the old 2007? I have an old 2007 model and love it, but am wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to the new model. I'm especially wondering how much if any improvment I would see with my Audio Technica Woody headphones (W5000, L3000, W11JPNs, W10VTG).

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #18 of 39
Well I was thinking about a Solo for my K601, and now the Solo SRG is out that adds more interest into the mix. I don't think I can afford to dump £488 on it at the moment, but £353 is quite affordable for the green PSU version. Having said that, now people are reporting so little difference between the old Solo and the new Novo, I could just get that, though I'm a bit phased on upgrading to an amp £20 cheaper than what I have at the moment, so I think I'll go for the Solo SRG if at all.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #19 of 39
Damn... the price of the SRG is going up pretty fast.

Just a month ago, it cost $435 USD, now it's $500+ USD - increased $65+ in a month... as a result of the exchange rate of the USD:GBP.

I should have bought one a month ago... but... I wanted to see the reviews first - which are coming pretty slowly.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 39
Probably caused by the USD slipping with the Fed monetizing the debt..

Hope the AUD holds up against the pound, I'm also seriously looking at this amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #21 of 39
What do you generally consider to be low impedence. My 2007 Solo drives both my HD650 and K701`s superbly and they are 300ohm and 64ohnm so I consider the K701`s as low impedence even though I know there are even lower impedence phones out there.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by losconquistador /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Yep... it may have just happened yesterday, as they bought up Treasuries, and depressed their interest rate to lower mortgage rates to 4%. Great for financing and refinancing mortgages - which we need desperately... but... terrible for USD valuation re to foreign currencies. Gas prices will soon be headed back up - already are.

Though, until the banking regulators, allow or facilitate, refinancing of mortgages for homes with temporary "artificial" values below the amount of their mortgage - it won't help a lot - homeowners still won't be able to refinance their mortgages (if they have balloons) - all because of the silly "mark to market" rule. Cramer is right we need 50+ year mortgages, and a relaxation of that rule to reverse the current credit / economic crisis. Would never have gotten here, if we'd had it 2 years ago. He's a verifiable genius - who they need at the Treasury Dept. immediately!

Though... I suppose it will help eventually... as home prices again inflate from the increased demand / buyers facilitated by lower interest rates - even with the "mark to market" rule. But... it would all happen a lot faster, if the rule were relaxed, and/or reserve requirements were temporarily relaxed. They don't seem to "get" the fact that the mortgage and home values are only temporarily depressed as the result of these "artificial" rules and regs that force "artificial" valuations, below "real" long-term valuations, and limit credit. They seem to want to force "artificial" valuations and "accounting losses" to become "real" by forcing the sale of these "impaired assets" (homes and mortgages) to the federal government (you and me) - thereby turning "artificial" temporary "accounting losses" into "real" losses. What fools! Home values would "re-inflate" in price, if they'd relax the rules and allow credit availability to finance (refinance) homes, once again. Prices can't re-inflate, until buyers can obtain credit to buy homes - re-establishing normal demand for homes. Most home owners who are "in trouble" can make their mortgage payments, but can't refinance their homes, because banks can't lend them the money, with temporarily artificially depressed prices.

It's very much a "chicken and egg" conundrum - and the cycle must be broken, by relaxing the rules that create the "artificial" prices and their downward spiral. They can add all the "liquidity" to the financial markets they want - and, it won't have any effect, until they relax that rule, and banks / mortgage lenders can actually make loans on homes that are temporarily priced lower than their "real" values and the mortgages.

And... I don't suppose the "fools in Washington" will "get it" all for another few months! They don't realize they, and their stupid rules and regs have created the whole mess - or they just refuse to admit it! I think the former, all of them together don't have an "IQ of room temperature" - including, the "community organizer"... and... had no idea their regs would cause such a crisis.

But... I guess the USD's weakness will eventually continue, driving import prices up again. Good for US manufacturers, with lots of exports, but bad for US consumers who want to buy... GS Solos!

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you generally consider to be low impedence. My 2007 Solo drives both my HD650 and K701`s superbly and they are 300ohm and 64ohnm so I consider the K701`s as low impedence even though I know there are even lower impedence phones out there.

Probably about 40+ ohm. Or... at least it seems that's about the point that the sound of phones begins to deteriorate markedly. I don't notice it a much with my 40+ ohm AD2000s either. But... it's a bit more noticeable with 32 ohm Grados, and 25 ohm Denons.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by losconquistador /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

LOL...that's what the FED is. An organization of privately owned banks that monetize debt(turn t-bills or debt certificates into cash). That's all they do. The problem in our country is the federal reserve fiat currency/fractional reserve, monetary/banking system. As long as our country is allowed to borrow and the fed print out unlimited money and flood the world with dollars, inflation and monetary chaos will continue. Some debt can be good but we're WAY beyond "good" now.
This real estate mess is a fall out from that(and unscrupulous lending practices and stock market manipulations, ie criminal greed). The fed system is a win/win for bankers and world controllers but it's not good at all for economic stability and regular people like us.
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...that's what the FED is. An organization of privately owned banks that monetize debt(turn t-bills or debt certificates into cash). That's all they do. The problem in our country is the federal reserve fiat currency/fractional reserve, monetary/banking system. As long as our country is allowed to borrow and the fed print out unlimited money and flood the world with dollars, inflation and monetary chaos will continue. Some debt can be good but we're WAY beyond "good" now.
This real estate mess is a fall out from that(and unscrupulous lending practices and stock market manipulations, ie criminal greed). The fed system is a win/win for bankers and world controllers but it's not good at all for economic stability and regular people like us.
icon10.gif

Well we may have to agree to disagree on the details...

I'm not one to subscribe to "conspiracy theories," and my expertise does happen to be in economics, finance and the markets.

And... while there has no doubt been some of what you suggest... the real "root cause" has been the result of some aspects of de-regulation since 1999, other aspects of really stupid regulation (such as the blanket application of the mark to market rule), and... perhaps by far the most important "root cause"... the promotion and granting of mortgages to low-income home buyers via the Community Reinvestment Act and Fannie and Freddie.

These buyers, never should have been granted mortgages, and they wouldn't have been, except that the "community organizers" threatened to sue the lenders for discrimination, if they didn't make the loans to unqualified borrowers. The lenders found it a lot more attractive to make the loans, generate their fees, and dump them to Fannie and Freddie, and other investors, than to fight the "PC" law suits. The sub-prime borrowers couldn't afford to pay their mortgages as interest rates rose, and they were unable to either pay their increased mortgage payments, or to refinance their mortgages, because of artificially depressed housing values, resulting from the "mark to market rule," which also prevented mortgage lenders from selling the mortgages to obtain additional funds to lend.

The mark to market rule has artificially impaired the capital of banks, and in combination with more rigorous lending policies, has restricted credit availability, further depressing effective demand for houses, and housing prices.

A vicious downward spiral, that the fools in Washington don't understand, and have not found a way to break, quite yet. Though, the actions recommended by Cramer, as well as other, good economists, who are not "ideological," would do it almost overnight. Unfortunately, the folks in power now, don't understand any of this stuff... and... are "ideological" first, and "practical" last.

But... fiat money and credit is a fundamental requirement to allow the money supply to grow in rough proportion to the growth and productivity of an economy, which is how real wealth is created, and which should not be constrained by lack of availabilty and access to hard assets.

Unfortunately... little of this is reported by the biased media... because they don't understand it either, and because they would never do anything to reflect poorly on the folks who were and are, originally, responsible for the creation and promotion of the Community Reinvestment Act, and the prevention of reforms throughout the 2000s, that would have prevented all of this.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably about 40+ ohm. Or... at least it seems that's about the point that the sound of phones begins to deteriorate markedly. I don't notice it a much with my 40+ ohm AD2000s either. But... it's a bit more noticeable with 32 ohm Grados, and 25 ohm Denons.

So then do you think there might not be much difference between the 2007 Solo and the new SRG Solo for cans 40 ohm and up? I'm asking because I have a 2007 Solo and think it sounds pretty good with my Audio Technica woodies (which are in around the 40+ ohm range), but am wondering if getting a SRG Solo would amp them even better.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So then do you think there might not be much difference between the 2007 Solo and the new SRG Solo for cans 40 ohm and up? I'm asking because I have a 2007 Solo and think it sounds pretty good with my Audio Technica woodies (which are in around the 40+ ohm range), but am wondering if getting a SRG Solo would amp them even better.

That would be my guess... but... I suppose its possible that there might be a very slight improvement. The ATHs seem to be so efficient, they may be easier to drive than other phones.

If you like the way your Solo sounds with them... I guess I wouldn't be too concerned. Personally, I would only be concerned if I thought my phones were sounding rough in the upper mids and highs, or in the bass. That's where I noticed it didn't match my Denons and Grados too well.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Agreed. I'm not a fan of quantitative easing and the Fed's not gonna print its way out of this mess. While Gf2 raises some good points, there is something fundamentally flawed with the fiat money system. Would buy more gold if I wasn't spending so much on headphone gear
icon10.gif

Ok back on-topic, waiting for more Solo SRG impressions, especially with ATs..

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #30 of 39
Yes! I too have been looking at the GS amps. I love my little Voyager so much I have been really wanting to try the bigger amps. More reviews!!

PS: One last shot on the "conspiracy theory" thing. If you investigate the creation of the Federal Reserve system, the seven men(who incidentally owned 1/4 of the WORLDS wealth at that time) who met secretly and conjured up this "system" and the way they went about getting it enacted, if that's not a conspiracy I don't know what is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back