Has Anyone Tried the New Graham Slee Solo SRG - Only $435 (But Climbing)???
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
I had to start a new thread... since... not many have heard about this new amp... at a new price.

Since Mrarroyo has "brought me up to speed"... the Solo thread needs to be resurrected...

... in the light of the GS Solo SRG, which is "now on sale."

Solo SRG Headphone Amplifier: Solo Studio Reference Green Headphone Amplifier

I don't know how long its been out... but... it seems like its virtually a "well-kept secret."

It doesn't seem to be discussed prominently on the GS web site... and... you have to dig it out on the "on-line store" page. Once there... there is quite a description of what GS has done to improve the sound of the 2007 Solo, and its variations.

I can find no reviews of it... but...

Reportedly... the Solo SRG has been designed to drive both high and low impedance phones to their optimum - which is an achievement, because, while I thought the 2007 Solo was superb with Senns (moderate/high impedance phones), I thought it struggled with Denons, Grados and other low impedance phones. I demoed a couple last year - would have kept one, if... it had been "superb" with both.

Well... as usual... GS has upgraded the Solo to perform well with both (reportedly)... and... now... I suppose I'll have to try the latest version... just to see for myself. But... I'd like to see if anyone else has the latest version (the SRG) and if it, indeed, "is up to the billings."

Mrarroyo reports he will soon be "giving it a spin" and reporting the results... but in the interim... I'd be curious who else has tried the Solo SRG... and what they think of it... especially compared to other SS amps??? Particularly, in light of the current price of about $435 with the walwart, and about $600 with the PSU1 - at last you can buy one for a reasonable price - thanks primarily to the dramatic increase in the value of the USD relative to the GBP (unfortunately for all our US exporters - Boeing, Deere, CAT, etc.)!

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 39
I've been looking at this amp for some time, just waiting for the money. How did you get "about $535 with the PSU1"? According to the website, it is £425.11 net with PSU1. That translates to about $597 US dollars according to Google (I put it "£425.11 in usd").

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at this amp for some time, just waiting for the money. How did you get "about $535 with the PSU1"? According to the website, it is £425.11 net with PSU1. That translates to about $597 US dollars according to Google (I put it "£425.11 in usd").

Just used an on-line currency conversion program a couple of days ago...

Checked it again just now... and got $600.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 39
I have bought one a month ago (with PSU1). Absolutely lovely amp, the improvement with my HD-595 cans is absolutely evident: tighter, more precise, faster and more dynamic.

One thing is very important, though: it absolutely needs AT LEAST two weeks always powered on (and possibly used frequently) to give its best. During the first days it might sound a bit too bright, but then it settles and truly begins to shine. I was truly sceptical about this recommendation (I have never been particularly keen of what I thought was only audiophile voodoo), but the evidence of how much burn-in matters fell on me like a ton of bricks: it really makes a BIG difference.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $600... wouldn't that be close to M3 with Sigma PSU? It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Yes...

... I would agree.

But... I thought the sound of the Solo with my Senns was so great... that... if the new SRG sounds as good with low impedance phones, as well as, high impedance phones, I think I'd prefer it for the same price. Though, I realize the "bling" of the stuff inside the M^3, may be more impressive - it doesn't necessarily translate into better sound. And... I'm a bit reluctant to go with a DIY amp, which may not be as widely accepted by the broad market as the Solo.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it and sent it back - the Arietta that I had at that time was better

So... you had the latest SRG version of the Solo?

Or, did you have the "Solo Green" - which sounded pretty much like the 2007 Solo?

If the latter, its my understanding, that the SRG is not the same amp - and is much better with low impedance phones.

Also... did you have long enough to complete the 200 hr burn in?

If you did have the SRG and it was fully burnt in... what did you prefer about the Arietta?

Also... where did you buy it... that you could return it???

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 39
Gradofan2: I apologise it was the Solo Green

I had the amp for 8 days before returning it so 24x8 = 192 hours

I found the bass on the Arietta better, more detailed and bigger soundstage
Better built as well and cheaper

I bought it direct (distance selling law applies)

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Gradofan2: I apologise it was the Solo Green

I had the amp for 8 days before returning it so 24x8 = 192 hours

I found the bass on the Arietta better, more detailed and bigger soundstage
Better built as well and cheaper

I bought it direct (distance selling law applies)

What's the "distance selling law???"

Is that some rule GS has that allows some to return the amps within a certain timeframe... but... not others? If so, who meets the requirements to return the amp... and in what timeframe? I presume it means, if you're in the EU or British Isles, you can return it, but not if you're further away - is that about it?

It is interesting that you didn't like the sound of the Solo Green (or perhaps "prefer" is the right term) - the reports suggested it sounded very similar to the 2007 Solo - which most think is SUPERB with Senns - though, not necessarily with low impedance phones.

Could it have been a poor match with your phones, or set up?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 39
Distance selling law allows you to return an item within 7 working days (always order on a Thursday!!). I t applies in the UK (and EU)

TBH it was reasonably close between the Solo and Arietta but when you then factor in the cost . . . . .

Could have been a poor match but the DV blows them both into the weeds

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Distance selling law allows you to return an item within 7 working days (always order on a Thursday!!). I t applies in the UK (and EU)

TBH it was reasonably close between the Solo and Arietta but when you then factor in the cost . . . . .

OK...

... yes... I thought the DV332 was better also... with my Senns.

And... the only reason I might consider the Solo SRG is because I think with a tube buffer it might have much the same sound as the DV332 with Senns, and, perhaps, better with Denons and Grados. At least that's what I've found by adding the GF B-283 tube buffer to my inexpensive Maxi Moy.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

What headphone did you use it with? As Gradofan2 has written, the Solo was not optimal for low impedance headphones (RS1 in your sig).

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And... I'm a bit reluctant to go with a DIY amp, which may not be as widely accepted by the broad market as the Solo.

Seems like so many people are curious and want an M3...with their limited availability compared to the ease of getting a new Graham Slee, you'd think that it would have better resale value, not that there's any need to ever get rid of it.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 39
distance selling law is 14 days in Sweden. But you are not allowed to use them so if any seal is broken you don´t have any right for a refund by law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back