Has anyone tried Future Sonics Atrio M5??
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by reds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting really interested in these headphones now
But I wonder how they compare to super fi. 5 pro??
From your reviews they seem to have a similar sort of sound characteristics
Also, I wonder if they will benefit a lot from a portable amp like Go-vibe 5??
Thanks

Sorry I can't help you in regards to those comparisons. I don't have a lot of IEM experience.

They do respond to being amped. I was listening to them out of my iMod/Hornet combo and they sounded very nice indeed.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 55
mh, i wonder how these compare to the e4s...
(meanwhile for only $175,-)

i guess the bass would be stronger.
but better?
as in clean/distinct?

and the soundstage?
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 55
hmm...well, while we're on the "I wonder how these sound..." subject, do any of the few M5 owners also own Future Sonic's SofterWear Custom Sleeves? If so, how do those sound with the M5s? I'm thinking about skipping a few steps and going straight to UE5cs, but if these sound as good as we've been lead to believe and also work well with custom sleeves, I may just save a few hundred bucks and go that route.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 55
Thanks warrior, I have been looking at these since you mentioned them.

1-How is the sensitivity compared to other IEMs?

2-How do they sound compared to the JBL 220 and Grado 225?

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks warrior, I have been looking at these since you mentioned them.

1-How is the sensitivity compared to other IEMs?

2-How do they sound compared to the JBL 220 and Grado 225?

Ooh! Ooh! Comparo time! I will compare them to the 220s and the Grados tonight and post back. A preview:

The M5s have more similarities with the 220s than the Grados in regards to sound sig. Elevate the 220's performance a couple of notches and you're in M5 land. I know the bass alone of the M5s will make the Grados sound thin. That one will be an interesting comparison since the sound sigs will be so different. But all in the name of Head-Fi!
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 55
I have the softerwear custom molded sleeves for the original e3. Not sure if FS intends for these to be used with the Atrio, but I can tell you that mine do fit and they work great. Best isolation going this route. 2nd best for me has been the foam sleeves.

Just to follow-up on my previous post, the sound in the lower-mids to lows on these are best described as "real". Not boosted, not artificial, but true, clear low response with feel.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 55
Warrior and Packer, I think you two need to be on FS's payroll, cause you've convinced me to buy the M5s (and eventually the SofterWear sleeves). Hate to keep asking for pics, but Packermans, do you think you could post a few pics of the M5s with the SW sleeves on them. Also, an in-ear photo would be nice
icon10.gif
thanks!

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #24 of 55
warrior05, you mentioned that the Atrios have "gently rolled off highs." Many armature IEMs have physically imposed high frequency limitations at 16kHz. Would you say the Atrio extends farther than that frequency?

I'm considering this as a future IEM if I eschew about half of my current set-up (going minimalist).

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #25 of 55
Here we go...

Source: iMod/Hornet
Listening to some Dave Matthews, SRV, Cowboy Junkies, Leo Kottke, Boards of Canada (how's that for an eclectic mix?)

M5 vs 220
In comparison, the 220s sound a bit thin and hollow. The M5s bring a richness to the table that provides a very musical sounding sound sig. The M5s do a nice job with guitar. SRV's intro on Texas Flood - sweet! 220s do a nice job with bass but with the M5s they give you more. Bass lines are really nice. Oh, man - did I mention how well the M5s do guitars? Having a hard time moving away from SRV!
cool.gif
Biggest difference is in the mids. The M5s do a better job in presenting the mids and it isn't that they are more forward because the M5s are pretty balanced. Kottke's guitar work is sweet with the M5s. I can hear his subtle attacks on the strings more so than with the JBLs. Uh... did I mention that guitars sound really nice with the M5s?

So, obviously the M5s are better than the 220s but that is to be expected considering their pricepoints. Though even this is the case, my feelings for the 220s have been reaffirmed: These little canalphones really are decent. And they are easier to get in and out!
icon10.gif
By the way, I'm using large bi-flanges on the M5s - terrific seal!

M5 vs SR225 (w/Liberators)
I'm hearing everything in Kottke's playing with the Grados. I can hear that signature 12 string sound. More detailed than the M5s. Grados extend higher but mids sound a bit recessed in comparison. They offer better decay on the notes than the M5s. Less bass presence and more of a soundstage - no surprises there, ay? Grados are still king of guitar and stringed instruments but the M5s really do a nice job (not sure if I mentioned that
rolleyes.gif
).

As expected the Grados are very different. Aside from the sound sig, they offer more detail, extend higher and provide nicer decay. Of course we are talking about a $200 can. However, if you love an upfront, rich musical sound with quite the bass presence, I doubt you would miss the Grados much.

------------------------

So there you have it. Fun comparison but doing these is much easier between cans since I like to switch back and forth during songs. With the bi-flanges, the M5s penetrate deep so getting them in and out takes a bit of effort.

I continue to be impressed by the M5s. I tend to give more emphasis on musical presentation than absolute detail. I know my old Shure E4s offer more detail but I much prefer the M5s more musical sound. They are not analytical but they offer a healthy dose of detail (especially compared to the JBLs). I'm very happy with the Atrios. I always like trying off the beaten path kit and when they pan out - all the better!

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #26 of 55
Great review and confirms that the Grado 225's are great phones. I was hoping the JBL's would be a little closer to the M5's. But you still seem to like the 220's.

Thanks Warrior, you are the man!

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warrior05, you mentioned that the Atrios have "gently rolled off highs." Many armature IEMs have physically imposed high frequency limitations at 16kHz. Would you say the Atrio extends farther than that frequency?

I'm considering this as a future IEM if I eschew about half of my current set-up (going minimalist).

My ears ain't that finely tuned!
tongue.gif
Hopefully my comparison with the SR225s will give you an idea. If this helps, I noticed that cymbals sounded a bit more natural with the Grados where with the M5s they were slightly muted. Not so much that they sounded bad but there was a difference.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review and confirms that the Grado 225's are great phones. I was hoping the JBL's would be a little closer to the M5's. But you still seem to like the 220's.

Thanks Warrior, you are the man!

I tell you though, where the JBLs aren't all that far off is with bass and highs. But there's no getting around it, the M5s have more to offer.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 55
I love my m5's more and more (and I still love my EM3's). They have a clean well rounded and powerful sound for an IEM. They are great unamped with my iPod. I have a Minibox-D on the way as a change to my PA2V2, mostly due to it's small/thin size.

Future Sonics has a great product for it's price point, for which I feel there is no comparison.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #30 of 55
JMBrown,

I'll be happy to post pics...just give me a few days to figure it out as I am currently without a digital camera. The softerwear I have from Futuresonics are several years old, so they may be slightly different in composition than what they currently provide, and again, I'm not sure if FS uses a different setup for use with the Atrio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back