Has anyone heard the vinyl releases of Wilco albums?
Aug 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

whaleyboy

100+ Head-Fier
Folks:

I am strongly tempted by some of the older Wilco releases on vinyl. I recently saw two of my favorites (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born) at my local record shop.

I was going to snag them but I have the CDs and, despite wearing the CDs out
atsmile.gif
, I am reluctant to double buy unless there is a strong incentive.

The newest vinyl, Wilco (the album), sounds great so I have high hopes for the other releases.

Has anyone heard these other vinyl releases? Are you willing to opine about them?

Many thanks!

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 22
I am an idiot - YHF has had numerous wildly enthusiastic mentions. I managed to pull my thumb out and used the search function successfully for once.

Should I request a thread removal?

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 22
sky blue sky on lp has far less hiss than the cd version -- actually I prefer to listen to the sbs cd on a low-end system (my ipod) because of this. Should a great album, so why the hiss?

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Yeah, seems you've already found it, but my YHF pressing is not only the best Wilco I've heard, but possibly the best vinyl I've heard. Reference in every way. Phenomenal album, phenomenal pressing -- you can do no wrong, here.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks gents.

Taking my wife to lunch at a place conveniently located right by the record store. Gonna snag YHF at a minimum.

I think that the "new" rereleases are out already. The version on elusivedisk and the one in the store appear to be the same - 2 LPs plus a CD.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 22
Are they going to re-release A.M. and Summerteeth? If so, count me in. I have the rrst of Wilco's albums on vinyl, but haven't been able to convince myself to drop big money on those two. Awful, because they're two of my favorites.

Anyhow, grab YHF if you can. I agree with Sherwood.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 22
they were supposed to come out in April for Record Store Day, but didn;t. I think they have been pushed back 3 times now...starting to make me mad cause i want them so bad. either release them or don't, but don;t tease me like that.

they are pressing them on 180 gram too. knowing wilco and their packaging they will be well worth the $25-$30.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 22
Excuse me - I meant that I think that the YHF and A Ghost is Born have been re released. Now I am not so sure

The album that I snagged is on 180g and includes a CD.

It is on NONESUCH #79669-1

The date on the record jacket is 2002 which is the original release date IIRC.

I won't have time to spin it until later today but I'll report back - just listened to my CD copy this morning so that it is fresh in my mind.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me - I meant that I think that the YHF and A Ghost is Born have been re released. Now I am not so sure

The album that I snagged is on 180g and includes a CD.

It is on NONESUCH #79669-1

The date on the record jacket is 2002 which is the original release date IIRC.

I won't have time to spin it until later today but I'll report back - just listened to my CD copy this morning so that it is fresh in my mind.

That's the version I've got. Sounds amazing. It's the same copy everyone raves about.

Not bought there latest yet but it is on my "To Buy" list.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the version I've got. Sounds amazing. It's the same copy everyone raves about.

Not bought there latest yet but it is on my "To Buy" list.

Cool deal, thanks Omegaman - I was hoping to get the known quantity "raving about" version
wink.gif
. Can't wait to spin this bad boy.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 22
It won't be a surprise to the folks who contributed to this thread but Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - on the 180G vinyl is fantastic. Just finished it's maiden voyage and the records did not disappoint despite my very high expectations.

I guess that I am going to have to get the other records, now.

Luckily when I was at the store I snagged a couple of used records (Frampton Comes Alive and Belafonte Returns to Carnege Hall) and they were much more reasonably priced thus reducing my per platter average
wink.gif

Many thanks again for the recommendations for this great release.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 22
I've always liked the already very analog sound of YHF and AGIB on cd. Now this thread has me wanting both of these on vinyl. Can't wait until A.M., Being There and Summerteeth find their way to me by early Sept.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blmelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they were supposed to come out in April for Record Store Day, but didn;t. I think they have been pushed back 3 times now...starting to make me mad cause i want them so bad. either release them or don't, but don;t tease me like that.

they are pressing them on 180 gram too. knowing wilco and their packaging they will be well worth the $25-$30.

Yeah, I'm getting impatient, but better this and getting them right than sounding like some lost highway pressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back