Has anyone had central air installed ?
Apr 24, 2006 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
We are at last planning to buy a house. We have seen several houses we like but few of them have central air, something we are rather fond of now and central air seems to bump the price up a little.

We were wondering how much it would cost to install central air (from scratch, i.e in a house with possibly no existing ducting) in a modest 3 bed house i.e 2 floors and say 1500 sq ft, if it matters we live in the outskirts of Philadelphia. If the cost is say about $5k then we could probably do it, if it is $10K it would be iffy.

Does anybody have any experience of this and a ballpark figure ?

Cheers

Jim

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Sorry can't give you an answe now, but possibly later when dad gets home. Here in South Carolina everyone has air conditioning, and most have central nowadays I would say. I know I've always lived in houses with it. Constant 68-72 degrees year round.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 12
We had a similar sized house in the 'burbs of DC. The heater crapped out a year after we moved in, so we chose to have it replaced with a heater and AC unit. Total cost was about $5k (in 2000).

However, we have a new house here in Seattle (built new in '03) which was built without AC. Square footage is about 3200. We had AC added last summer and it was $6K just for the air conditioning unit. This bothered us a great deal, since we already had a good heating system here, but there was nothing to be done; all three quotes we got were within $100 of each other.

Depends how far out of Phila you are...call an AC contractor that's further on the non-Philadelphia side of you; they might have cheaper rates since they're in a less populous area.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 12
We had central air retrofitted to a 2100 sq ft home with central heat. We used the existing heating duct work but because of the layout of the house, had to install a dual system (separate central units for the top and bottom floors). As I recall it ended up costing us around $10K in 1994.

EDIT: Correct story is that we had no prior duct work since the existing heat was a hot water/radiator system. At least I think that's the correct story. I wonder whether excesses in the sixties have memory consequences in '06. [Wanders off mumbling]

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 12
I had it done in bucks county, pa, on a larger house. There are lots of variables. Do you have forced air heat already (are there existing ducts)? Is it 1 story or 2? Is there an attic/crawl space? All that said, $10k seems high, $5k seems low...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 12
You know, according to Azrael, central air is the greatest sin one can commit
tongue.gif

(If you know where that one comes from, then someone probably has a pet monkey and a silent buddy too
biggrin.gif
)

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
I thought he said central air was the greatest thing man ever invented? He is, after all, a frickin' demon.

Something to that effect! Personally, I'd like AC in some form, but at the moment I settle for a Honeywell air purifier that happens to be really powerful, enough to keep a nerd on chill for hours
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 12
i now have a rental house in philly that i previously lived in and when i was thinking about installing central air with no previous ducting the ball park figures i was getting was 10k. this is for a around 2100 sq.

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm in the same general area, and 1911 hits it on the head. No existing ducts=10k. ductwork present=5k, +- 2k, depending on difficulty and quality of contractor. Be sure to use a contractor who guarantees his work, there can be some fussing to get the system balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back