Has anyone compared the Dacport to the HRT Music Streamer II+?
Jan 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
I have both the hrt ms II+ old and new version. I did not hear much or any of a difference at all. So I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the dacport lx or the hrt music streamer II+ it depends on which do you prefer a more blacker background with more precise instrument separation or a wider soundstage with a slightly more warmer/analog sound.

I think you NAILED it here! This is what I hear, in terms of differences (but admittedly, I did work for HRT, and now for CEntrance) - I find that I love my HRT MS II (new version) in the bedroom system, as its darker, more romantic sound marries well w/ my little Marantz SR-225  - and the CEntrance (LX or DACmini) seem to give me a closer looking glass into the actual timbre of instruments and dimensionality/spacial properties (so I use it in the reference system).  I came to that conclusion after using my first record release as a reference (a little house track, released on Listen to Reason Records back in 04 on 12" under the Seamless Satori name - me and my buddy Josh Seamless).  We both wrote, mixed, and produced the album - so we know the sound as well as you can. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 25
mikemercer...

What USB and RCA cables would recommend for the MSII+? I plan for this to be my first DAC.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 25

Quote:

That depends on butget, and associated equipment.  I'm happy to make a recommendation.
You can PM me w/ the info if you'd like.

NO SWEAT!!

Hi Mike,

I tried an entry level Furutech USB cable on the HRT II+ out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound quality. Are there other ways to tweak it further?

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 25
hi, just to resurrect the thread a bit, how do these two dac's Dacport LX and HRT MS II+ compare to the older pico dac without amp? the pico dac is going at much cheaper now.

if one was never to go past a CD resolution how would they compare?

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Hi Mike,

I tried an entry level Furutech USB cable on the HRT II+ out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound quality. Are there other ways to tweak it further?

OH YES.  The Furutech is a solid cable - but I highly recommend trying a Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable on the II+ (and while I work for CEntrance now in my 9-5, I'm still a writer/reviewer first and foremost - so I can say that's a killer DAC - its why I worked for them actually - the sound blew me away at that price).  Also - what analog interconnects are you using??  If you like the Furutech USB, try their single crystal cables (cant remember the name) but call their distributor (in the US it's Elite A/V Distro) and say I recommended them for the II+.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #24 of 25
No worries! I also recommend the Belkin Gold USB, very cheap. I'm not just about stuff that's pricey. I actually found a Monster power cable that works wonders on our LED back-lit LCD TV!!

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:
hi, just to resurrect the thread a bit, how do these two dac's Dacport LX and HRT MS II+ compare to the older pico dac without amp? the pico dac is going at much cheaper now.

if one was never to go past a CD resolution how would they compare?

if you were never needing to listen deeper than redbook CD (44.1k/16-bit) I'd go with the HRT II+ EVERY time.  And again, I am NOT hating on CEntrance here (I worked for BOTH companies because I believed in their products and also reviewed both).  First - the DACport LX is totally hampered by the 1/4" line-output (its cool for h-phone out guys but) - which makes a splitter succeptible (SP???) to RF and a host of other environmental factors that may sound like boogie woogie science to some - but I've listened to top engineers and designers on both sides of that fence.  W/ the HRT MS II+ you can tweak its performance via any RCA cables you like (however you wanna color the sound - make it darker or whatever you want).  I also think the LX sounds like what many peopel call "accurate".  But how do you know what's accurate unless you were involved in the recording!

That's why whenever I get a new DAC, or any other source component (CD, turntable) I play my first house music record "Soultek" back in 2004 which got released through Listen to Reason Records on vinyl (under our Seamless Satori moniker).  I wrote, mixed, and co-mastered the record.  I know every 808 snare or kick drum.  I spent HOURS tweaking those sounds in Wavelab!!
I know the sonic footprint of that record like I know my own body.  It's the first thing I play to access what type of colorations a system is painting over the recording..  We wrote it on Cubase and Reason - so it began as a digital file (96k/24-bit too) but I have a 44.1/16-bit version as well.

I did a comparison, since I went back in time a bit and just saw this thread for the first time in months I think....

The DACport LX was leaner (kick drums had velocity, but lacked overal uummphh). It's micro and macro dynamics were on par.
This thing is a solid contender.  It's ability to translate timbre is fantastic.

The HRT MSII+ had me bumpin' my head to the mix, like I was back in the studio.  Now, do I think it's "more accurate" not necesarily.
But it was closer, and, especially in the mid-to-lower midrange (where most music lives) it had a thump to it and was fast and precise.
Things had presence around them.  Hp-ers call this "dimensionality (the sense of space between instruments/sounds in a recording).
The HRT MSII+ was the sure winner to my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back