Has anyone achieved their end-game setup ?
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #121 of 141
Right, honestly the difference of going from a $100 pair of cans to TOTL is miniscule compared to what you gain from going to speakers. It's like going from 1 to 1.5, with even a bookshelf speaker a 10.
Even for people that prefer speakers I 'd say this Statement is extremely exagerated.

Sure potent floor standing speakers in a well treated room are better than headphones but even in those cases it's not a 1.5 to 10 difference

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #122 of 141
To my ears even my $300 iLoud Micro computer speakers present music at a level that headphones can never reach. To each his own though.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #123 of 141
I can agree that speakers are still way better, it is just hard to tell by what factor, that is always subjective. I have pair of Canton wireless floorstanding speakers paid about 1700$ few years ago in a living room with lots of non-balanced placed furniture and even in asymetric space (one speaker is close to the open area of the room, other is in the corner, I don't have a choice). And that setup is still better in most areas in comparison to expensive headphones I have (Atrium for example). Music details we hear on speakers will never be close to the headphones though...

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #124 of 141
I can agree that speakers are still way better, it is just hard to tell by what factor, that is always subjective. I have pair of Canton wireless floorstanding speakers paid about 1700$ few years ago in a living room with lots of non-balanced placed furniture and even in asymetric space (one speaker is close to the open area of the room, other is in the corner, I don't have a choice). And that setup is still better in most areas in comparison to expensive headphones I have (Atrium for example). Music details we hear on speakers will never be close to the headphones though...
Thank you for offering that feedback about the Atriums. I'm looking for a smaller pair of speakers for my kitchen, and am undecided about whether to go with smaller speakers, or headphones, in a place where I would be sitting six feet away from the speakers. I've often wondered if ZMF headphones are really worth $2500. The labor costs must be high, to make them.

Bass notes have never sounded as clean with my tower speakers and Rythmik F12G sub, as they are with headphones that are in the $800 to $2000 price range.
Even adding room EQ, an active crossover, and aligning phase, hadn't helped much. But, I hadn't kept my Audeze LCD-3 headphones for long, once I had found out how far behind they were in midrange resolution. My subwoofer and mains had produced identical in room frequency response curves between 90 Hz and 120 Hz, even though they are crossed over at 90 Hz using a MiniDSP Flex. To me, the lesson was, "it's all about the room". Headphones don't care where I happen to be standing; my fireplace I found out has enormous effects on the bass.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #125 of 141
Not better. I have pretty nice speakers Monitor Audio PL200 supported by a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro subs. Speakers and headphones offer pretty different experiences. A well done headphone when it seals really well and has a frequency response that aligns with your preferences can reveal details in music that you would need to spend enormous amounts of money on to achieve in a speaker based rig. It makes sense, the speakers with headphone listening are strapped to your head so go figure.

Speakers offer you the potential for powerful, room-filling, large soundscape music listening. Both approaches have their pros and cons, and ideally you can enjoy both. I know that I do.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #127 of 141
Sorry there is no endgame. Once you are on this forum abandon all hope. You may take a rest from the upgrade bug but it is only temporary. I've been at this for 30 years and I still look for the next step in the audio chain. Once bitten by the audio bug only death or complete poverty will resolve this.
yeah, it comes in phases. been off the site for the last 7 or 8 years but interested to see what is out there. have had a few different "end game" setups but eventually landed on things that allowed me to enjoy my music simply and flexibly. nothing will ever beat my first foray into the hobby...hearing good headphones for the first time...still fun though. enjoy the process

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #128 of 141
I don't think people were debating, just sharing thoughts. I am sure for some people reading about the idea of people's journeys back and forth on their end game rig is equally who cares and tiring, but fortunately, they don't feel the need to share that sentiment.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #129 of 141
I wouldn't commit 100% to never changing anything, but I essentially have got to point where I can't see what would offer me a better value vs returns over what I have now.

(Picture recycled from another thread so apologies for the repetivness)
The Dino is the best part of that setup =)

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #131 of 141
I don't think I have an endgame. I've thought about this quite a bit lately. When I first got into the hobby, I thought I'd end up with a couple pairs of Audeze cans with a decent amp, and that'd be it. However, high end audio tends to leave a lasting impression that doesn't go away. After all, it is pleasing one of our five senses. The deeper down the rabbit hole I go, the more I come to realize there is no endgame. An endgame only exists when you're no longer interested in pursuing better sound. I don't think that pursuit ever goes away for most of us. In a way, reaching an endgame conclusion would defy human nature, because we're always supposed to grow, explore, and learn about new things that interest and please us.

So no, I haven't achieved endgame, and never will.

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #132 of 141
I sort of echo the sentiment above; however, I would qualify it and say that changes in my system over the years are mostly about boredom and the need for novelty. I think most people are subject to these factors. So often I just want to experience a new sound signature (which comes from the headphones, not amps and DACs unless they are poorly designed). So it isn't that the sound is always better in terms of fidelity of reproduction, although sometimes it is better, but mostly it is about a slightly different sound signature.

Our preferences are not static either, they do change over time so the sound you loved at 28 may be different from the sound you love at 43. Novelty. Our brain is hardwired to seek out novelty and this hobby is no exception. That is also why we love looking at our new gear, and holding it. It is far from just the sense of hearing that receives reward from this hobby.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #133 of 141
Let me preface this by saying I don’t believe I’ve reached my endgame setup, but I have gained some insight. I recently acquired a Cavalli Liquid Platinum amp and Sennheiser HD 660S2 headphones. I’m not here claiming they’re the best or anything, that’s not my point. The point is, for the first time in the hifi hobby, there isn’t that little nagging analytical voice in the back of my head, always evaluating the gear. The little b*st*rd shut up and I am finally able to completely focus on enjoying the music. I think this is an important milestone for me in my personal journey to my endgame, thought I’d share it with you….

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #134 of 141
I might just have made a huge Deal, which brought me a lot closer to my endgame setup.

Two more pieces still missing afterwards, but damn this will be lit

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #135 of 141
Here’s a video I ran across that’s right on topic for this thread. Please give it a watch, I’ll bet you have an Aha! Moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back