Has anyone achieved their end-game setup ?
Jan 26, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #76 of 141
HD700 stock are not good. This is why no one owns them. You have to EQ the **** out of them to make them sounds good. I love the look of them and how light they are. With my amp/dac I set them up to sound how I want.

I have dekoni pads, audiophile ninja cable and both the tremble and bass raised up on dac. So there isn't much stock about my headphones.

But honestly I'd try and make a list of what you want in a headphone. Being honest with yourself that a 600 tier headphone might be better vs a 800 tier headphone of the same company. I own Sennheiser 650,700 and 800. I honestly like the 700's over 800 and probably the only person in this world who does.
Yeah, one thing I've come to realize is how important it is to lesson my dependence on what other people say they like. It’s just incomparable to being able to hear/try on something for yourself. I’m not an eq’er though, so I may have to give the HD700’s a pass 😅

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #77 of 141
Yeah, one thing I've come to realize is how important it is to lesson my dependence on what other people say they like. It’s just incomparable to being able to hear/try on something for yourself. I’m not an eq’er though, so I may have to give the HD700’s a pass 😅

I'd be upset if you bought a pair of hd700's. They are not good. I wanted to make them good so I worked around the headphone. I see you own a pair of HD 8xx. Quite dynamic headphone that can be enhanced to your liking with the right dac/amp.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #79 of 141
Forget my rambling Shawshank redemption speech earlier….lol

In all honesty I reached my end game with the Focal Clear OG.
I’ve compared them to the Utopia/Arya/Audeze offerings and still preferred the Clear. They just sound so perfectly balanced with the very genre, Focal really over achieved with it…I stopped caring about headphones after I purchased these a couple of years ago.
Every other headphone I tried might do something better, but then always did something worse. The Clear for me is the most balanced high end headphone on the market. A true jack of all trades.

The d90se is also an absolute beast and perfect match for them.

So it’s safe to say I’m content and reached my end game.
I’m currently getting into IEMs to see which goes well with my mojo for bedroom listening. I got the ER2Se. I love the fit. But they are too bass light.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #80 of 141
I'd be upset if you bought a pair of hd700's. They are not good. I wanted to make them good so I worked around the headphone. I see you own a pair of HD 8xx. Quite dynamic headphone that can be enhanced to your liking with the right dac/amp.
Yeah it’s sticker modded to sound like the 800S, and it sounds absolutely amazing from my Pendant SE/Gumby combo.

Like I said earlier, I’m totally happy where I am in my setup, the Auteur Classic being the all-rounder at the center of my collection. But I know the curiosity bug will bite again at the least opportune time and I’ll “upgrade” again.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #81 of 141
I think I'm done for the foreseeable future after I got my Atriums.

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #82 of 141
Forget my rambling Shawshank redemption speech earlier….lol

In all honesty I reached my end game with the Focal Clear OG.
I’ve compared them to the Utopia/Arya/Audeze offerings and still preferred the Clear. They just sound so perfectly balanced with the very genre, Focal really over achieved with it…I stopped caring about headphones after I purchased these a couple of years ago.
Every other headphone I tried might do something better, but then always did something worse. The Clear for me is the most balanced high end headphone on the market. A true jack of all trades.

The d90se is also an absolute beast and perfect match for them.

So it’s safe to say I’m content and reached my end game.
I’m currently getting into IEMs to see which goes well with my mojo for bedroom listening. I got the ER2Se. I love the fit. But they are too bass light.
The UM MEST MKII Pairs lovely with the Chord Mojo. Definitely not lacking on the bass.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #85 of 141
For me, end game is all about finding what sound you like, not the actual gear. Every piece of gear has its own sound, managing to tailor that (all components of your system) to your sound preference is the hardest part of the hobby. Once you've found that, you've managed to jump the biggest hurdle you'll find. After that, it's all down to budget as to how far you can take it.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #86 of 141
I'm not sure how or what to consider end game when I haven't had the opportunity to listen to every set of cans. Do we base end game on how much we like a particular headphone? Can we feel completely satisfied this way? I really like my SR2 and Gjallarhorn, best I've heard according to my preferences, but I'm sure something better that I would enjoy even more exists.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #87 of 141
I'm not sure how or what to consider end game when I haven't had the opportunity to listen to every set of cans. Do we base end game on how much we like a particular headphone? Can we feel completely satisfied this way? I really like my SR2 and Gjallarhorn, best I've heard according to my preferences, but I'm sure something better that I would enjoy even more exists.
You are supposed to listen to many setups over many many years to build your experience and refine your taste. You see a lot of newbie go straight to $5k setup and say they got end game then turn around and sell in a year or two because their taste changed :face_palm:

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #88 of 141
End game, next season … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #89 of 141
I think I could stop at TA-ZH1ES -> WA6 -> HD650, but I probably won't haha

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #90 of 141
You are supposed to listen to many setups over many many years to build your experience and refine your taste. You see a lot of newbie go straight to $5k setup and say they got end game then turn around and sell in a year or two because their taste changed :face_palm:
Been doing that for quite a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back