Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?
Aug 26, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #121 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thankfully, nothing about Miles Davis' music says 'i like to beat and degrade women.'

The singer Betty Carter, who actually witnessed Miles' volatility with one of his wives firsthand (and got in his face about it), always maintained that the "sweetness" in Miles' tone was such an aphrodisiac that she believed he loved women deeply. Needless to say, he was a pretty complicated individual.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #122 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again, about the worst thing I ever heard about any of my favorite artists is one of them married his 13 year old cousin,

^^ Great Balls of Fire!
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #123 of 172
Quote:

This brings up and interesting question, does an artists behaviour turn you on to their music? Have you ever disliked someones music greatly, but something they did (say building a charity, or going slightly off script during a telethon) make you like them more?

I was never a Kanye West fan, Im still not. But I did give him a proper listen AFTER the whole Katrina stuff.

I had a lot more respect for Leftover Crack after they left Epitaph because they grew sick of the homophobia amongst a lot of the other signed bands they were working with. As liberal as the punk scene is it's true that there is an incredible amount of homophobia lingering.

They essentially walked away from a ton of money by breaking the record deal, their sounds is something commercial radio would have embraced wholesale. In some ways they got the worst of it by signing with Hellcat, the stigmata of selling out without a label with the power to drive commercial success.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #124 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until it's yours that a genius is trying to take.

I'll believe that you honestly believe in what you're saying when you're willing to give up your life to find out the lethal dose of a chimera smallpox virus. Hey, you're helping out humankind!

Hahahahahaha, nooo. I'm human, so of course I'll try to preserve my own life, but if I die I have to admit that my life was only one in a series of lives just like it, and that I'm not lawfully or metaphysically entitled to a future.

Quote:

Someone in earshot of me once praised slavery for giving us rock and roll, and it took every humane impulse I had in my body to keep from throwing a drink on him. Life is given to randomness and chance, and whereas it's fine if we can learn from the heinous things that happen to us, I'm not sure it means those evils can ever really be forgiven.

I only have one question for you: Do you think you'd enjoy such deep, noble emotions without a long history of very evil men doing unimaginable things behind you?

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #125 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have one question for you: Do you think you'd enjoy such deep, noble emotions without a long history of very evil men doing unimaginable things behind you?

Umm, I'm not sure I understand the question, but generally speaking, we tolerate evil because we don't really have a choice, no? It's going to be here whether we like it or not. To my thinking, there's no need to make like unspeakable acts deserve some kind of fair hearing, no matter what they might lead to.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #126 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm, I'm not sure I understand the question, but generally speaking, we tolerate evil because we don't really have a choice, no?

I mean this: Your perception of evil is intimately linked to a history of evil having been done and remembered. Because you know and believe Hitler killed six million people, and individual life happens to mean something to you, your idea of evil is extended at least to that real limit. You have a historical reference for atrocity, something to anchor your emotions to. Without Hitler, your sense of right and wrong would be significantly more primitive, don't you agree?

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #127 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean this: Your perception of evil is intimately linked to a history of evil having been done and remembered. Because you know and believe Hitler killed six million people, and individual life happens to mean something to you, your idea of evil is extended at least to that real limit. You have a historical reference for atrocity, something to anchor your emotions to. Without Hitler, your sense of right and wrong would be significantly more primitive, don't you agree?

I'd rather not continue to hijack the thread, but I'll just say that under the circumstances I think measurements of magnitude are irrelevant. We don't necessarily need to know those things to know that racism can lead to senseless killing, and that it's a good idea to be on guard for warning signs.

Back to the music...

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #128 of 172
Kinda...a couple years ago, Ludacris was doing an interview about Hip-Hop and he said "My lyrics are deep and meaningful...true hip-hop..." 1st song that came to mind was "throw dem bows".....yeah, nothing deep or meaningful bout those lyrics...

So i went on a little stint of getting sick to my stomach everytime I heard a Ludacris album. Then, after I was watching a *****, "get back" by Ludacris was playin in the background of the clip...and I've been OK ever since, lol.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #129 of 172
Quote:

This brings up and interesting question, does an artists behaviour turn you on to their music? Have you ever disliked someones music greatly, but something they did (say building a charity, or going slightly off script during a telethon) make you like them more?

I was never a Kanye West fan, Im still not. But I did give him a proper listen AFTER the whole Katrina stuff.

As a Miles Davis fan I have learned to suspend personal judgment on artists. The only time it is a problem is when the music expresses the aspect of a personality that I find objectionable. Kayne West might be a great example. Both his music and his politics are about savage ignorance and bloated self importance and it turns me off to his music.(obviously I dont want a political argument, this is just my opinion.)

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #130 of 172
Bloated self-importance maybe, but savage ignorance? Not so sure. I don't consider myself a Kanye West fan—I think his music's a bit contrived, audibly so—but just a couple of weeks ago I saw a decent documentary, Bling: A Planet Rock, that followed some rappers (Raekwon, Tego Calderón, among others) to Sierra Leone to witness postwar conditions there (especially in the diamond trade). The filmmaker, hip-hop journalist Raquel Cepeda, definitely got the idea from West's "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #131 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kayne West might be a great example. Both his music and his politics are about savage ignorance and bloated self importance and it turns me off to his music.

I actually agree completely. Which is why, even after given him a shot, I am not a Kanye fan.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #132 of 172
I learned a long time ago that if I avoided an entertainer based on personal behavior, politics, sexual preference, or religious beliefs, I would be missing a lot of good music, movies, and TV. Therefore, I tolerate a lot of things from entertainers that I would not want to see from my family and friends.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #133 of 172
Quite frankly I would be happy if I could buy enjoyable music and avoid the noise about artists, producers and labels.

If they make good music - that's good. I hate the cult of personality. I like the Dixie Chicks' music, but I won't take political advice from them. Pink is an entertainer, not a social commentator.

I don't care which artists are junkies, alcoholics, or gays.

I don't know anything about he guy who designed, engineered or built my K701, why should I want to know more about the people whose music I play through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back