Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,316 of 4,588
New setups for my Modi Multibit.

Setup # 1:
iPod Nano 3rd Gen 8GB loaded with ALAC rips (Various Blues) from CDs > Pure Digital iPod Dock > Coax > Schiit Modi Multibit >Rigid Y cross connect v2 (for Schiit Stack) > PYST RCA > Sansui Aux In > Headphone Jack Out > Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur 600 Ohms.
This setup allows the use of all Sansui Pre Amp controls.

Set Up #2
iPod Nano 3rd Gen 8GB loaded with ALAC rips (Various Blues) from CDs > Pure Digital iPod Dock > Coax > Schiit Modi Multibit > Rigid Y cross connect v2 (for Schiit Stack) > Schiit Vali 2 with adapter for 6SN7 tube > Vali 2 Pre Out > PYST RCA > Sansui Main In > Sansui Combined/Separated Switch (Pre Amp/Main Amp) set to Separated) > Headphone Jack Out > Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur 600 Ohms.
This setup only allows control of volume from the Vali 2, the Sansui Pre Amp is off line.

Option:
Schiit Stack, no Sansui.

Three systems in a compact :wink: space.
The DT 880 are recent to me, I am finding them a great fit for my Vintage. The price/SQ makes them a good value for Vintage listening, IMHO.

My first Sansui in a long time,

R

9964968.jpg

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,317 of 4,588
Hi guys, just want to confirm: if I'm looking at the Bimby but am not especially concerned about upgradeability, I should actually be looking at a Mimby instead and saving $350.

Is that correct?

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,318 of 4,588
Yes, I think the Mimby would be the way to go. The Mimby and Bimby are supposed to sound almost identical and for the cost of upgrading the Bimby you could just buy the newer version of the Mimby. This is of course making a couple of assumptions; that the next Bimby upgrade will be $250 like the multibit upgade and that Schiit comes out with a new updated version of the Mimby in the future.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,319 of 4,588
Hi guys, just want to confirm: if I'm looking at the Bimby but am not especially concerned about upgradeability, I should actually be looking at a Mimby instead and saving $350.

Is that correct?

Yes basically. From what I have seen there is no reason to ever buy Bimby because even the upgradability will cost you more in the long run vs just selling your Mimby and buying a new version.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,320 of 4,588
What is the next step up from mimby, that is actually worth upgrading to? I have no interest in upgrading yet, just want to know what I should be aiming for down the road, how much I'd have to spend to get a significant upgrade.

The mimby opened my eyes to a whole new world of potential upgrades, haha.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,321 of 4,588
Bimby is an upgrade from Mimby. There is no doubt about that. But, the first significant upgrade in the Schiit line is Gumby.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,324 of 4,588
What sample rate should I set? When I installed, it defaulted to 16bit, 44100hz CD quality.

The Modi Multibit is a 16 bit DAC, and that is what it outputs. However, it can accept as input up to 24 bit, 96 kHz material (or maybe it's 192 kHz, I forget). So on my system, which uses Windows 10, I set it at 24 bit, 96K, and that seems to work fine.

Edit: I should add that I use WASAPI in JRiver Media Center, and that handles it automatically.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,325 of 4,588
The Modi Multibit is a 16 bit DAC, and that is what it outputs. However, it can accept as input up to 24 bit, 96 kHz material (or maybe it's 192 kHz, I forget). So on my system, which uses Windows 10, I set it at 24 bit, 96K, and that seems to work fine.

Edit: I should add that I use WASAPI in JRiver Media Center, and that handles it automatically.

Thanx to you both. As an FYI I am running windows 10.
Im VERY new to all this so a lot of the stuff you guys talk about (electronics, math, etc.) is a bit over my head. Not concerned about admitting it either as how else am I gonna learn. Appreciate the help from you and gvl2016.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,326 of 4,588
Thanx to you both. As an FYI I am running windows 10.
Im VERY new to all this so a lot of the stuff you guys talk about (electronics, math, etc.) is a bit over my head. Not concerned about admitting it either as how else am I gonna learn. Appreciate the help from you and gvl2016.

To set the record straight, this is from Schiit:

Modi 2 Multibit: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax, with 24/176 and 24/192 being NOS (non-oversampled)

*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

So the Multibit will accept input up to 24 bit/192 kHz.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,328 of 4,588
I to have Windows 10 and 24 bit 96k sounds good to me.

Earlier in the thread I posted wanting to know if anyone knew of a good tube or hybrid amps to use with the mimby, but after listening to through my Magni 2 for a long time one weekend convinced me to stay with what I have for now. If I'm going to upgrade it's gonna be to something a lot more hi-end, and also upgrade the dac as well. For now, I love the way the mimby portrays music and hooked up with my Elear I'm in musical bliss.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,329 of 4,588
I to have Windows 10 and 24 bit 96k sounds good to me.

Earlier in the thread I posted wanting to know if anyone knew of a good tube or hybrid amps to use with the mimby, but after listening to through my Magni 2 for a long time one weekend convinced me to stay with what I have for now. If I'm going to upgrade it's gonna be to something a lot more hi-end, and also upgrade the dac as well. For now, I love the way the mimby portrays music and hooked up with my Elear I'm in musical bliss.
If you do decide to upgrade just the amp, something like the Schiit Jotunheim would be a pretty big step up, and a popular pairing with the Mimby from what I've heard. Jot is great with Elear too imo. haven't heard Schiit's tube amps sadly.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #3,330 of 4,588
If you do decide to upgrade just the amp, something like the Schiit Jotunheim would be a pretty big step up, and a popular pairing with the Mimby from what I've heard. Jot is great with Elear too imo. haven't heard Schiit's tube amps sadly.

The Jotunheim is one of the amps I was interested in for sure. I feel like what ever amp I choose to get will come from Schiit because the quality and price are both great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back