Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
May 10, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,211 of 4,588
I have no crackling sounds on my Mimby. Every long once in a while I'll get a slight glitch, but that seems to be dependent on how taxed my laptop is. Those are very rare, like every 5 months.

May 10, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,212 of 4,588
Anyway, the crackling with the second unit is so infrequent that I don't mind. It's a minor issue, especially given how rapidly I tend to make upgrades. (Or otherwise experiment with gear in general.)

I'm just blown away by how realistic a DAC at this relatively low price can sound. It's safe to assume this wasn't the case before the MMB came along. Like I mentioned, I, for example, don't think the more expensive iFi micro iDSD sounds nearly as good as the MMB.

May 11, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #3,213 of 4,588
You probably need to troubleshoot the usb on your pc. Use a port that has no other devices on the same hub, turn off power management, etc.

May 12, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #3,215 of 4,588
IMAG00696.jpg
Custom Schiit Rack using maple and herbie's feet. If interested, hit up SmileMoon on Etsy.

May 12, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3,216 of 4,588
Schiit support told me that they tested both the replacement and the original unit and found nothing wrong with them. This leads me to believe that something weird is going on in my system that makes the Modi Multibit crackle (etc.) but not other DACs. Not sure how to approach this problem now...

May 12, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3,217 of 4,588
Schiit support told me that they tested both the replacement and the original unit and found nothing wrong with them. This leads me to believe that something weird is going on in my system that makes the Modi Multibit crackle (etc.) but not other DACs. Not sure how to approach this problem now...
Have you tried another computer? or a different OS (Linux or OsX)?

May 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,219 of 4,588
Initial ramblings...

Mimby->USB->Mainline->HD800
Mimby->Vali2->Andromeda IEM

My baseline reference is an XDA-2 with modified output section. (don't laugh, it beat out a 1st Gen Bifrost Uber hands-down).
At the time I went with the XDA-2 I think the top offering from Schiit was still the Bifrost. Things have changed!

I originally purchased the Mimby for Television and occasional optical feed from my AK100ii while on my nightstand with the Vali2 to feed my Andromedas. I think the best time to listen to headphones is lying down. There's just something about fully letting go... I can't do that sitting up.

So the Mimby showed up on the doorstep, I had to mad rush drive home to foil the Mimby thieves. Its been breaking-in since.
Goddam it sounded like 'ass' out of box. I expected this. Everything new sounds like ass out of box... *shrug*
At 6 hours it was good enough to watch TV with.
At 8-9 hours it started to be listenable, but my Andromeda/Vali 2 were still too harsh!
Switched to the Mainline/HD800 (balanced with the black dragonV2). Still to harsh! The mainline is known as polite, but apparently - only so far.

Even at this point the prominent feature of the DAC is detail.

18hrs later its barely listenable. The details are striking. But it has a way to go before its not ripping your head off on peaks. Can you say SHOUTY? lol

However there's still glare in there but its cleaning up. Sound stage is coming along, but not with the depth and breadth of my XDA-2. No way - no how. Not yet.
Some sibilance as a result and again I still can't listen for very long. Yuck.

But I'm hearing detail in recordings I know well that I haven't heard before. I mean there's a foot tap or something in Becks Unforgiven track. Anyone noticed that before? I sure didn't. Like What - where did that come from? :)

I'm a firm believer in break-in for equipment. When built, my Mainline took 40hrs to be listenable. At 100hrs, I stopped keeping track. I expect the Mimby requires a good deal more break-in before it should be judged. At 18-19 hours its not fair to call it anything one way or the other.

But what I can say from what I've heard so far is promise. I'm sold on a Gumby or Yggy. Eventually. It will take me some time to scrape together the funds. Maybe it will be a used Gumby purchase and someone else will buy the Yggy, but its still another unit moving out the Schiit door.

Thanks for all the hard work Mike. Its appreciated.

May 12, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,220 of 4,588
@NightFlight

Of course it sounds harsh with the HD 800. That's one of the harshest headphones I've had! No DAC will change that. You're gonna have to equalize it if you want to get rid of (at least some of) the harshness.

I don't get any excess harshness with my speakers and the MMB.

May 12, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,221 of 4,588
You'd think that, but the HD800 is perfectly fine with the XDA-2 - and I don't believe it to be harsh at all. The HD800 is modded to tame the some of the 6K resonant peak - but its not harsh because of that. Does the HD800 reveal a harsh chain? Yes. The Modi just isn't broken in.

When I got the HD800, I ran it in the box for 400+ hours before it stopped screaming bloody murder. After that she's just fine. Then again the Modi's output section could have suffered cost cuts. Something had to give at the price point. Emotiva was nice enough to drop in sockets for the single ended and balanced op-amp outputs which can make a big difference with the right selection.

29hrs in. Sounds pretty damn good. The fatigue is starting to roll off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back