Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,176 of 4,588

Lossy files will sound like lossy files.  Clipped, over saturated, sibilant or poorly recorded/mastered files will sound like what they are.

I agree with RickB about the multi bit.

I find that better resolving systems get you closer to just hearing what is in the file.  I feel that a lot of older stuff that sounded poor, even when new, may be more listenable when you can hear into the recording.  For example; 1950s R&R is mostly better with the more resolving system and especially with Schiit Multibit :)

YMMV & JMTC,
r2

Thanks alot for the information.

I think I'm leaning towards this when it comes to upgrading after closing on my house :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,178 of 4,588

A wonderful sense of common-sense priorities. 

Yep!
Family first, Business Second and Hobbies third!

My K1 + RP-HD10's & 1More TD is enough for now its not like I'm going to die listening to it haha

For the Modi Multibit is the Magni 2 good enough? I mean I imagine that the amp itself really depends more on headphones than anything else and I don't have any heavy ones.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,179 of 4,588
Just to confirm I can sit my Mimby on top of my Jotunheim (to the left side of Jot) and leave them both turned on at all times?
Just wanted to ask again as the Mimby feels pretty warm at the moment.

Thanks!

The Mimby being warm is natural from what I heard from Schiit's tech support, there should be no problem stacking seeing that many have done so with their Schiit amps

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,180 of 4,588
The heat varies from unit to unit based on my experience. I've owned two Mimby's. The first I sold to a friend. It would get super hot. The second I bought after missing the sound. This copy doesn't get nearly as hot for some reason. Both sounded fantastic though. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,181 of 4,588

Yep!
Family first, Business Second and Hobbies third!

My K1 + RP-HD10's & 1More TD is enough for now its not like I'm going to die listening to it haha

For the Modi Multibit is the Magni 2 good enough? I mean I imagine that the amp itself really depends more on headphones than anything else and I don't have any heavy ones.

In all fairness, I need to turn you over to the experience of others on this thread, who have more experience with more combinations of equipment than I do.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2,182 of 4,588
Okay so having read about R2R dac's for the past couple of hours things make alot more sense to me now.

It seems that it would certainly have a difference unless its compared against a multi D/S solution? Maybe 2-6 D/S put together can come close.

I have heard 24/192khz (my HTC 10 can record it) and it certainly sounds much different and lifelike even through cheap headphones or the HTC 10's speakers.

So i can imagine that "true" 16 bit has to sound similar to these ultra high sampled 24-bit audio's.

The one thing i don't understand is why do Gungnir and Yggdrasil have 4 of each DAC? If it can decode the entire audio stream by itself what do the other 3 do?

And what is the real difference between Bifrost & Modi (multibits) if they are using the same DAC and the same quantity?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,183 of 4,588
  Okay so having read about R2R dac's for the past couple of hours things make alot more sense to me now.

It seems that it would certainly have a difference unless its compared against a multi D/S solution? Maybe 2-6 D/S put together can come close.

I have heard 24/192khz (my HTC 10 can record it) and it certainly sounds much different and lifelike even through cheap headphones or the HTC 10's speakers.

So i can imagine that "true" 16 bit has to sound similar to these ultra high sampled 24-bit audio's.

The one thing i don't understand is why do Gungnir and Yggdrasil have 4 of each DAC? If it can decode the entire audio stream by itself what do the other 3 do?

And what is the real difference between Bifrost & Modi (multibits) if they are using the same DAC and the same quantity?

On the last question, they are sonically similar, the difference is in power supply quality and the ability or non-ability to upgrade.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,184 of 4,588

There's always a BIAS in every DAC implementation. Good DS implementation exists and are sometimes preferred over R2R sound. 16-bit R2R can mean that there are 65536 voltage combinations that the DAC can produce. 24 bit audio maybe truncated to 16 bits or not (I think the latter is the right one due to the burrito filter), but there's no way the DAC can output more than 16 bits of audio. DS DAC OTOH, use noise shapers to produce high SNR to mimic the 24-bit or higher resolution. Custom DS implementations like on Chord DACs use proprietary noise shaping techniques that is supposed to reproduce all of the analog signals without missing information (same results as the burrito filter with Schiit).

Gungnir and Yggy have 4 of them since Schiit allocated 1 DAC chip for each channel (2 channels for balanced and unbalanced which totals 4). The AD5547 inside the Bimby and Bimby are dual channel, dual current output so they only need 1 DAC for stereo audio.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #2,185 of 4,588

Balance output need more dacs

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,186 of 4,588

There's always a BIAS in every DAC implementation. Good DS implementation exists and are sometimes preferred over R2R sound. 16-bit R2R can mean that there are 65536 voltage combinations that the DAC can produce. 24 bit audio maybe truncated to 16 bits or not (I think the latter is the right one due to the burrito filter), but there's no way the DAC can output more than 16 bits of audio. DS DAC OTOH, use noise shapers to produce high SNR to mimic the 24-bit or higher resolution. Custom DS implementations like on Chord DACs use proprietary noise shaping techniques that is supposed to reproduce all of the analog signals without missing information (same results as the burrito filter with Schiit).

Gungnir and Yggy have 4 of them since Schiit allocated 1 DAC chip for each channel (2 channels for balanced and unbalanced which totals 4). The AD5547 inside the Bimby and Bimby are dual channel, dual current output so they only need 1 DAC for stereo audio.

Ah okay I didn't realize the DACs in Gungnir and Yggy were single channel. That makes sense then.
I thought they were all dual channel which is what was originally confusing.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,187 of 4,588

Apparently there is way, since the DS DACs do just that.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,190 of 4,588
I may need to search...so please don't flame me,

But why do multibit DACs down sample 24/192 content?

Also is there a comparable quality, comparable price DAC unit that pays 24/192 content WITHOUT down sampling?

Because there is no use for 24/192 content in the first place when 16/44.1 can already reproduce our entire tonal waveform. 24 bit only lowers noise floor and the insanely high sampling is only good for Delta-Sigma dac's to get more resolution to compare to true 16/44.1 that is discarded by most DAC's.

You really have to spend hours reading up on the internal working of DAC's to understand this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back