Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,161 of 4,588

Does it do any harm or just that you have to wait a long time for it to warm up and produce better sound?

The latter. My Yggy is said to sound best after a whole week of reaching thermal equilibrium.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,166 of 4,588

Yeah, I got Valhalla 2 and Modi Multibit, they sound amazing together. Only had the setup for about a week/two weeks :)

Ah no wonder you got the habit to switch off all the stuff since leaving the Valhalla will use up the tubes even when there is no audio playing. It's a very good combination based on what I am seeing, you will enjoy it more as the weeks pass by!

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,168 of 4,588

Ah no wonder you got the habit to switch off all the stuff since leaving the Valhalla will use up the tubes even when there is no audio playing. It's a very good combination based on what I am seeing, you will enjoy it more as the weeks pass by!

Yeah, I do plan on getting some new tubes, no idea what I want though

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,170 of 4,588
Just to confirm I can sit my Mimby on top of my Jotunheim (to the left side of Jot) and leave them both turned on at all times?
Just wanted to ask again as the Mimby feels pretty warm at the moment.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,171 of 4,588
So the real question to me is multibit worth it vs "standard".

Is there an actual audible difference? There are many high end DAC's or DAC/Amp's using "standard" DAC chips and some that are considered reference grade.
So is it just a more efficient rendering of audio from Digital to Analog or what is there to gain from it?

I would imagine if it does make a difference then it would rely heavily on the actual recording and may make alot of the "cheaply made" music of today sound even worse than it already does.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am just looking over what DAC or DAC/Amp combo to get after I close on my house and there are alot of options across the price spectrum and I am trying to find what is sonically the best for the money.

From what I understand more than anything, the OPAmps & analog circuitry make much more of a difference than the DAC itself and that makes a great deal of sense.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,172 of 4,588
  So the real question to me is multibit worth it vs "standard".

Is there an actual audible difference? There are many high end DAC's or DAC/Amp's using "standard" DAC chips and some that are considered reference grade.
So is it just a more efficient rendering of audio from Digital to Analog or what is there to gain from it?

I would imagine if it does make a difference then it would rely heavily on the actual recording and may make alot of the "cheaply made" music of today sound even worse than it already does.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am just looking over what DAC or DAC/Amp combo to get after I close on my house and there are alot of options across the price spectrum and I am trying to find what is sonically the best for the money.

From what I understand more than anything, the OPAmps & analog circuitry make much more of a difference than the DAC itself and that makes a great deal of sense.

In my experience, the Mimby makes everything sound better. No, it won't make a bad recording sound good, but it will make it a little more tolerable. 

I haven't owned that many DACs, but it is the best DAC I've heard. I prefer it to the $400 Bifrost 4490. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,173 of 4,588
  In my experience, the Mimby makes everything sound better. No, it won't make a bad recording sound good, but it will make it a little more tolerable. 

I haven't owned that many DACs, but it is the best DAC I've heard. I prefer it to the $400 Bifrost 4490. 

Interesting information. I would expect that the better resolution of audio actually makes the audio sound worse. Which is what i have experienced as I upgrade my audio hardware.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,174 of 4,588
  Interesting information. I would expect that the better resolution of audio actually makes the audio sound worse. Which is what i have experienced as I upgrade my audio hardware.

The multibit actually manages to sound smoother than delta sigma, so harshness/glare in the recording is reduced. I'm not saying it's not accurate, something I can't fully assess with my level of experience, but it definitely doesn't make recordings sound worse like some other DACs I've heard do. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,175 of 4,588
  ...   Is there an actual audible difference? There are many high end DAC's or DAC/Amp's using "standard" DAC chips and some that are considered reference grade.

Lossy files will sound like lossy files.  Clipped, over saturated, sibilant or poorly recorded/mastered files will sound like what they are.

I agree with RickB about the multi bit.

I find that better resolving systems get you closer to just hearing what is in the file.  I feel that a lot of older stuff that sounded poor, even when new, may be more listenable when you can hear into the recording.  For example; 1950s R&R is mostly better with the more resolving system and especially with Schiit Multibit :)

YMMV & JMTC,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back