Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jan 8, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,804 of 4,588
Thanks, good idea, I can always do that too. The resultant impendance is about 73 Ohms I think but definitely about 25 dB reduction

Depending on your headphones, 73 ohms output impedance is way too high and will potentially impact the frequency response and will
Almost definitely slow the decay on the impulse response due to lack of electrical damping.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,806 of 4,588
Hey everyone! I'm more of a reader (you can tell by my # of posts compared to my time on head-if) but I thought I would share my setup, it's a little unique.

Got a modi multibit last week, been on warming up for several days. Finally started listening, and have been super, super impressed. I know it's all the clichés, but things sound cleaner, more details, smoother, all the stuff from the standard gushing review. I have ADHD and can only listen to favorite songs before skipping to another, but this is so good and eye opening I'm listening to all songs in their entirety. It's been an upgrade from my last dac which costs as much as two mimbys.

I have my iPhone 6 Plus feeding to a Nuforce Ido, feeding to the mimby via coax cable, feeding to a mjolnir (1st gen) feeding a pair of LCD 2.2's.

It all sounds fantastic. I've used the cck cable setup several times but to my ears, it seems to degrade the sound quality when comparing to my pic setup. This setup using a coax sounds wonderful.

I'm using the cheapest cables available. Never thought I would use rca's again, I was fully balanced for the last few years. I have some decent ones on the way.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,812 of 4,588
Jan 9, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,813 of 4,588
Hey everyone! I'm more of a reader (you can tell by my # of posts compared to my time on head-if) but I thought I would share my setup, it's a little unique.

Got a modi multibit last week, been on warming up for several days. Finally started listening, and have been super, super impressed. I know it's all the clichés, but things sound cleaner, more details, smoother, all the stuff from the standard gushing review. I have ADHD and can only listen to favorite songs before skipping to another, but this is so good and eye opening I'm listening to all songs in their entirety. It's been an upgrade from my last dac which costs as much as two mimbys.

I have my iPhone 6 Plus feeding to a Nuforce Ido, feeding to the mimby via coax cable, feeding to a mjolnir (1st gen) feeding a pair of LCD 2.2's.

It all sounds fantastic. I've used the cck cable setup several times but to my ears, it seems to degrade the sound quality when comparing to my pic setup. This setup using a coax sounds wonderful.

I'm using the cheapest cables available. Never thought I would use rca's again, I was fully balanced for the last few years. I have some decent ones on the way.

Just curious, what was your last DAC?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,814 of 4,588
My NFB-1AMP is arriving in a day or two and I'm getting ready to order a mimby, wanted to order a nice cable (sub-$100 nice, not head-fi nice) to go along with it.  What would be the best way to connect it to my motherboard, Optical or USB?  I have this motherboard.

Edit: Or some sort of affordable usb-spdif converter?  Just trying to find out what my best option is.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,815 of 4,588
  My NFB-1AMP is arriving in a day or two and I'm getting ready to order a mimby, wanted to order a nice cable (sub-$100 nice, not head-fi nice) to go along with it.  What would be the best way to connect it to my motherboard, Optical or USB?  I have this motherboard.

Edit: Or some sort of affordable usb-spdif converter?  Just trying to find out what my best option is.

I've been perfectly happy with both optical and USB (cleaned up through Wyrd).  I have and like this cable a lot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8HWV62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has no trouble locking on to 192 kHz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back