Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 10, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,681 of 4,588
@fjrabon Good to know! I'm going to use Optical, but the first days I'll have USB only. 
@droopy1592 I couldn't find a good priced "glass" toslink in Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.es so I'm trying the IBRA cable I posted. Some Amazon customers told me it can do 24/192. If it doesn't work (I suppose I'll hear the music with interference, delay or something) I'll return it and try another one. 

Regarding my Multibit DAC purchase:
Schiit-europe: Best price in Europe (300€ with 2-day shipping) but no stock. (first was going to be available last week, then it was pushed to December 18th, and now end of December). 
Schiit-eu: Not very good price, especially after the £ to € conversion. like 345-355€ (with PayPal and I think 3-5 days shipping). 
Schiit.com: Probably more expensive than Schiit-eu after adding the custom (294 USD with 2 day shipping, probably 360 USD with custom taxes), but only 2 days FeDex shipping and I was buying directly to Schiit so I went for this option yesterday I think I'll get it on Monday!

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,682 of 4,588
Four month update: Really couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS. Since the acquisition of the Multibit I've made a number of system upgrades; PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter.

The iFi was only received yesterday. Until it stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate where the extra $800 [total cost of all 5 upgrades] went. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the performance of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. The supplied PS is plugged into the Hydra PLC.

Speaking of line conditioners, the Multibit PS is plugged into the PS Audio PLC which in turn is daisy-chained into the Shunyata Hydra PLC. The only other component in the chain [tube amp] is plugged straight into the Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex [along with the Hydra].

index.php

Here's a photo of the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier [Bifrost DAC]. The Multibit is configured in a similar way; coaxial in / toslink out.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,683 of 4,588
  @fjrabon Good to know! I'm going to use Optical, but the first days I'll have USB only. 
@droopy1592 I couldn't find a good priced "glass" toslink in Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.es so I'm trying the IBRA cable I posted. Some Amazon customers told me it can do 24/192. If it doesn't work (I suppose I'll hear the music with interference, delay or something) I'll return it and try another one. 

Regarding my Multibit DAC purchase:
Schiit-europe: Best price in Europe (300€ with 2-day shipping) but no stock. (first was going to be available last week, then it was pushed to December 18th, and now end of December). 
Schiit-eu: Not very good price, especially after the £ to € conversion. like 345-355€ (with PayPal and I think 3-5 days shipping). 
Schiit.com: Probably more expensive than Schiit-eu after adding the custom (294 USD with 2 day shipping, probably 360 USD with custom taxes), but only 2 days FeDex shipping and I was buying directly to Schiit so I went for this option yesterday I think I'll get it on Monday!

FWIW, i have this and like it quite a bit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8HWV62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has had no problem whatsoever with 24/192. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,686 of 4,588
Multibit arrived today!
Incredible improvement over the nuForce uDAC-2...the high frequency is much more detailed, etc.
But the Low-End.....wow...is completely different, entirely. Bass is much more defined than before. 

I'm using my old DAC's USB cable, this week I'll receive a toslink cable and I'll replace the USB with optical.Here are some photos of the setup:

http://imgur.com/a/NgFV8

Thanks all!

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,688 of 4,588
It's generally thought that spdif is better for audio than usb, but which of the Modi Multibit's 3 options is the best one, if anyone have tried and compared them?

I think I saw some tests that show the MM is best with coaxial with optical a tiny amount behind and then a pretty big gap to USB. However some of that goes away with something like wyrd. With Wyrd USB is only a tiny bit behind (optical and coaxial have a slightly blacker backto and a bit more dynamic range).

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,689 of 4,588
I think I saw some tests that show the MM is best with coaxial with optical a tiny amount behind and then a pretty big gap to USB. However some of that goes away with something like wyrd. With Wyrd USB is only a tiny bit behind (optical and coaxial have a slightly blacker backto and a bit more dynamic range).

Thanks! I still have an Audiophilleo2+PurePower which will connect via coax, so it seems i'll get the most out of it.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,690 of 4,588

And with the microRendu ?

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #1,691 of 4,588
  It's generally thought that spdif is better for audio than usb, but which of the Modi Multibit's 3 options is the best one, if anyone have tried and compared them?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

Essentially, "it depends". If your SPDIF output is good, then it will be better. However, a lot of poorly-implemented SPDIF outputs suffer horrid jitter (Macbooks spring to mind here). It boils down to that- if your SPDIF is good, use it.

If not, you could try a USB decrapifier (the Wyrd is good for cleaning up interference on a dirty VBUS)- or better yet, something like a properly-clocked SPDIF source, e.g. a good quality digital audio hat from a Raspberry Pi. That's often a good and affordable option (running MPD on the Pi is apparently quite a good experience). 

I'm lucky, my ancient motherboard has pretty stable TOSlink out, possibly not driven by tossy clock dividers, so it's just fine with my Mimby. It can be a bit of a crapshoot, though.

It's worth saying that unless you have really obvious problems that are easily audible, it's often not worth spending a lot of time or money on transport nervosa while playing at the Mimby level. If your amp and transducers are similarly modest, you may find that looking at those first may yield bigger improvements. After all, chasing down and fixing ever more subtle problems is only practically possible or sensible on a very resolving chain with very little low-hanging fruit remaining, lest ye slip into the realms of blind tinkering and audiophoolery.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,692 of 4,588

My nightstand setup. running 16/44 ALAC files streaming from my basement server to the airport express in my room, connected by optical out to the Mimby/Vali2.  Using my MDR-1A because they're more comfortable to lay down with than the DT770, and my wife doesn't appreciate the open headphones (HD600 or SR325e) keeping her awake.  
I still struggle with any of these phones to find a huge difference between the m2u and mimby, but I love them both.  Before this I was exclusively using portable rigs like my PHA-1A and HA-2.  Can definitely hear more clarity in the Schiit stacks, while the HA-2 is still my favorite portable.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,693 of 4,588

My nightstand setup. running 16/44 ALAC files streaming from my basement server to the airport express in my room, connected by optical out to the Mimby/Vali2.  Using my MDR-1A because they're more comfortable to lay down with than the DT770, and my wife doesn't appreciate the open headphones (HD600 or SR325e) keeping her awake.  
I still struggle with any of these phones to find a huge difference between the m2u and mimby, but I love them both.  Before this I was exclusively using portable rigs like my PHA-1A and HA-2.  Can definitely hear more clarity in the Schiit stacks, while the HA-2 is still my favorite portable.

I hear the difference between Mutibit and Delta Sigma a lot more pronounced using my Yamaha HS7 flat response bookshelf speakers than any of my headphones even with AKG K712. If you can use speakers, you should try it.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,694 of 4,588
I hear the difference between Mutibit and Delta Sigma a lot more pronounced using my Yamaha HS7 flat response bookshelf speakers than any of my headphones even with AKG K712. If you can use speakers, you should try it.

I plan to get some studio monitors at some point. Right now I have an older JVC AV amp and some decent loudspeakers I could try.
Saving up for either a pair of HE560 or GS1000 before I jump into upgrades for my speaker setup

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,695 of 4,588

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

Essentially, "it depends". If your SPDIF output is good, then it will be better. However, a lot of poorly-implemented SPDIF outputs suffer horrid jitter (Macbooks spring to mind here). It boils down to that- if your SPDIF is good, use it.

If not, you could try a USB decrapifier (the Wyrd is good for cleaning up interference on a dirty VBUS)- or better yet, something like a properly-clocked SPDIF source, e.g. a good quality digital audio hat from a Raspberry Pi. That's often a good and affordable option (running MPD on the Pi is apparently quite a good experience). 

I'm lucky, my ancient motherboard has pretty stable TOSlink out, possibly not driven by tossy clock dividers, so it's just fine with my Mimby. It can be a bit of a crapshoot, though.

It's worth saying that unless you have really obvious problems that are easily audible, it's often not worth spending a lot of time or money on transport nervosa while playing at the Mimby level. If your amp and transducers are similarly modest, you may find that looking at those first may yield bigger improvements. After all, chasing down and fixing ever more subtle problems is only practically possible or sensible on a very resolving chain with very little low-hanging fruit remaining, lest ye slip into the realms of blind tinkering and audiophoolery.

Agreed!

And I can vouch for running MPD on a Rasperry Pi. Having run both a custom OS with MPD and Volumio I would go for the latter, less hassle, same results :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back