Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,651 of 4,588
I enjoy the MM with the IFI Pro ICan although I've only had the IFi a couple of days I feel like it takes "the edge" off for me IMHO compared to when I was using the MM with the Jot. Especially when I put it on tube setting.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,652 of 4,588
I have my Modi PS plugged into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet and the UO plugged into the Shunyata Hydra PLC. Shunyata Sidewinder PC on the Hydra and BMI Whale PC on the UO. The UO added a bit more weight, richness to the presentation but the biggest improvement IMS daisy-chaining these two PS components is the extremely low noise floor.

You're able to pick up the most discrete sounds that appear out of nowhere - spooky. Admittedly, some of these are unintended like when you can hear the bus passing outside of the church on The Trinity Sessions CD by the Cowboy Junkies. Chairs creaking, conversations between musicians, foot steps. Unreal. With my Moth Audio SET amp and Silverline Sonatina speakers much of this was in play before the acquisition of the Modi but it does take it to a higher level.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,653 of 4,588
My quest to improve my Modi Multibit continues. I'm very pleased with the sound but I want to see if I can squeeze anymore out of it. I'm running coax into a CD player so I don't need a USB scrubber so the only other upgrade is the power supply. 

I came across this and I'm curious to see if such an upgrade could have any audible improvements over the stock wall wart: http://www.russandrews.com/us/russ-andrews-ac16-1000-115v/

Any thoughts?

The cleanest sound I've seen measured was a USB to spdif converter to toslink to modimultibit. I'm using the turtle beach USB to spdif then toslink to mb to a Jotunheim. Insanely clean.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,655 of 4,588

Looking forward to it!

Initial impressions are WOW!!. Most noticeable improvement over original Modi is increased clarity and detail. Everything just sounds cleaner. Better soundstage, instrument separation. I wouldn't say bass impact is bigger or better but everything is tighter, transparent perhaps? Like the mimby is lifting a layer of "dust" off every aspect of the sound. Analytical without being bright or fatiguing at all.

To my ears, also smoother to listen to. Overall, well worth the $$ over the original Modi. I am running this out of my raspberry pi via USB using piCorePlayer. 

To those wondering about USB/Optical, I played a CD on my panasonic blu ray player via optical and played it in sync with the same song via raspberry pi. I used the input button on the Mimby to switch mid song and could tell no difference in quality. Certainly not worth it to me to upgrade to a rpi3 with hifiberry digi+. I did not test optical/usb output from my PC as I don't listen to music much on that. USB could be "noisier" in that scenario. 

Will do a full review/comparo when the HD6XX arrives end of month. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,656 of 4,588
Help me decide...

< 200€ for Modi 2 Uber or 305€ for Modi Multibit? (Shipping/VAT included) >

Currently I have a "nuforce udac-2" (the thing I'd like to upgrade) and a pair of studio monitors KRK RP6G3.
I listen to some FLACs, but mostly 320Kbps Mp3 files (Spotify Premium, etc). 

I plan to use SPDIF after the upgrade (Optical; Realtek's onboard). But could also use USB (like I'm using now with 24/96Khz).  

Maybe the Modi Multibit is too much for my speakers (I've paid the same for the speakers)...but who knows...

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,657 of 4,588
  Help me decide...

< 200€ for Modi 2 Uber or 305€ for Modi Multibit? (Shipping/VAT included) >

Currently I have a "nuforce udac-2" (the thing I'd like to upgrade) and a pair of studio monitors KRK RP6G3.
I listen to some FLACs, but mostly 320Kbps Mp3 files (Spotify Premium, etc). 

I plan to use SPDIF after the upgrade (Optical; Realtek's onboard). But could also use USB (like I'm using now with 24/96Khz).  

Maybe the Modi Multibit is too much for my speakers (I've paid the same for the speakers)...but who knows...

Thanks!

I suggest you go for the Multibit. If not, you'll always wonder. General consensus is it sounds considerably better then the Delta Sigma Modi and is the best value in the Schiit DAC lineup. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,659 of 4,588

I agree with RickB!

I suggest you go for the Multibit. If not, you'll always wonder. General consensus is it sounds considerably better then the Delta Sigma Modi and is the best value in the Schiit DAC lineup. 

Thanks, I'm going for Multibit then!

I have one more question before pulling the trigger: Anyone using Optical (Realtek's optical output more precisely) can digital control the volume level via windows shortcuts/windows general volume mixer?
I've never used optical and I'll probably use it with this DAC.

The explanation of this question is:
My setup would be: [ PC (USB or Realtek's OPTICAL output) --> Modi Multibit --> RP6G3 monitors and currently the volume is near the min level: -30dB ]. To control the volume level I use my PC's keyboard shortcuts. (As well as a remote control with the same shortcuts, etc). 
But yesterday I've learned that you can't control the volume using USB input in this DAC: (Schiit's support said to me: USB is usually fixed level on our DACs). If this means that I can't control Windows volume, I'd like to know if you can do that finely using the Optical output.

In other words: I want to be sure that I can decrease the volume with this via optical cable:

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #1,660 of 4,588

I have one more question before pulling the trigger: Anyone using Optical (Realtek's optical output more precisely) can digital control the volume level via windows shortcuts/windows general volume mixer?

My setup would be: [ PC (USB or Realtek's OPTICAL output) --> Modi Multibit --> RP6G3 monitors and currently the volume is near the min level: -30dB ]. To control the volume level I use my PC's keyboard shortcuts. (As well as a remote control with the same shortcuts, etc). 
But yesterday I've learned that you can't control the volume using USB input in this DAC: (Schiit's support said to me: [COLOR=212121]USB is usually fixed level on our DACs). If this means that I can't control Windows volume, I'd like to know if you can do that finely using the Optical output.[/COLOR]

In other words: I want to be sure that I can decrease the volume with this via optical cable:

Thanks!

I am able to control the volume of both optical and USB on my Modi MB through Windows and any other application.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,661 of 4,588

But yesterday I've learned that you can't control the volume using USB input in this DAC: (Schiit's support said to me: USB is usually fixed level on our DACs). If this means that I can't control Windows volume, I'd like to know if you can do that finely using the Optical output.

Thanks!

Actually, I think you should try to attenuate as late in the chain as possible. When attenuating the signal in the digital domain you will lose dynamic range ( https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1103650-analog-digital-level-attenuation.html).
Basically it means that when you can't control the volume that you're using the most direct signal path possible. When you can change it, in the case of this dac which doesn't seem to have hardware level volume control, you're actually changing the signal in windows before it reaches the dac.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,662 of 4,588
This is confusing, I can control level from the computer using digital or USB through Schiit DAC. I usually leave it on 100% but I know it works if you want it to.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #1,663 of 4,588
I am able to control the volume of both optical and USB on my Modi MB through Windows and any other application.

Ok! Then I think that with "USB is usually fixed level" he was referring to the DAC without volume knob or something like that.

Good to know that Optical volume can be changed too. 
  Actually, I think you should try to attenuate as late in the chain as possible. When attenuating the signal in the digital domain you will lose dynamic range ( https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1103650-analog-digital-level-attenuation.html).
Basically it means that when you can't control the volume that you're using the most direct signal path possible. When you can change it, in the case of this dac which doesn't seem to have hardware level volume control, you're actually changing the signal in windows before it reaches the dac.

Good to know too...
I don't know if this happens just changing from 100% to 99% the digital playback device volume...But I'll try to keep it from 50%-100% rather than 0%-50%. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #1,664 of 4,588
This is confusing, I can control level from the computer using digital or USB through Schiit DAC. I usually leave it on 100% but I know it works if you want it to.

Unless you use ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive, directsound allows digital volume control

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,665 of 4,588

As per the Schiit reply: I don't think the DAC has hardware level volume control (needs to be in the DAC chip itself). So if you're controlling volume that will be on the OS side of things and that depends a lot on implementation. If you use ASIO4ALL for instance I don't think you can use the volume control anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back