Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 30, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,621 of 4,588
So what should settings be in windows and media players? does it matter? Thanks

For direct sound, 44.1, use WASAPI or ASIO as much as possible for best use of the burrito filter

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,625 of 4,588
I have a Modi Multibit and have it set in Windows to 24/192 (which is the max the Modi will accept as input, I believe). Then I use J. River in exclusive mode WASAPI without altering anything. Works for me. Most of my music is 16/44.1 though. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,626 of 4,588
  I have a Modi Multibit and have it set in Windows to 24/192 (which is the max the Modi will accept as input, I believe). Then I use J. River in exclusive mode WASAPI without altering anything. Works for me. Most of my music is 16/44.1 though. 

I think that would mean JRiver will be doing your oversampling (and/or upsampling) rather than letting Schiit's "proprietary, closed-form digital filter" do the oversampling, which I believe is at least part of their multibit goodness.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,627 of 4,588
  I think that would mean JRiver will be doing your oversampling rather than letting Schiit's "proprietary, closed-form digital filter" do it, which I believe is at least part of their multibit goodness.

No. J. River reports that the output is not being altered in any way. I don't have J. River doing any upsampling or oversampling. If the music is 16/44.1, it reports that bit rate and sample rate. If the music is 24/96, it reports that. I don't actually have any music greater than 24/96. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,628 of 4,588
  I think that would mean JRiver will be doing your oversampling (and/or upsampling) rather than letting Schiit's "proprietary, closed-form digital filter" do the oversampling, which I believe is at least part of their multibit goodness.

No. J. River reports that the output is not being altered in any way. I don't have J. River doing any upsampling or oversampling. If the music is 16/44.1, it reports that bit rate and sample rate. If the music is 24/96, it reports that. I don't actually have any music greater than 24/96. 

I believe you're correct RickB that, since you're using WASAPI, JRiver should be sending the correct bitperfect data (since it then bypasses Windows' settings entirely).

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,631 of 4,588
My quest to improve my Modi Multibit continues. I'm very pleased with the sound but I want to see if I can squeeze anymore out of it. I'm running coax into a CD player so I don't need a USB scrubber so the only other upgrade is the power supply. 

I came across this and I'm curious to see if such an upgrade could have any audible improvements over the stock wall wart: http://www.russandrews.com/us/russ-andrews-ac16-1000-115v/

Any thoughts?

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,632 of 4,588
My quest to improve my Modi Multibit continues. I'm very pleased with the sound but I want to see if I can squeeze anymore out of it. I'm running coax into a CD player so I don't need a USB scrubber so the only other upgrade is the power supply. 

I came across this and I'm curious to see if such an upgrade could have any audible improvements over the stock wall wart: http://www.russandrews.com/us/russ-andrews-ac16-1000-115v/

Any thoughts?

The PSU in Mimby is excellent. You will more than likely INCREASE PSU noise with an aftermarket supply.

Only suggestions I can give you is an input choke and better cables.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,634 of 4,588
Blue Jeans are Very good quality and Very reasonable!

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,635 of 4,588
I'm also curious as to which reclockers, cleaners, etc would benefit my Mimby. I am using USB directly from my Dell Xeon computer that's built like a tank (I pull out if the trash!) Also curios if a USB to Spdif convertor would be a good bet. The Xu208 Xmos chip used in the Singxer products appear to do a great job. My computer has firewire so maybe a firewire to spdif convertor. Some of the pro audio firewire interfaces that use the Dice chips are supposed to be really good at reducing jitter. Obviously don't want to spend big bucks on one of these devices. The Mimby seems to be the best bang for buck convertor on the planet. Can't go crazy with the add on devices

I would go for raspberry pi 3/hifi berry digi+/USB power bank combo. It would cost less and sound quality will be on another level compared to Dell/USB toSpdif convertor combo

Dell server you can use as NAS server for raspberry pi streamer

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back