Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,517 of 4,588
  If I'm listening to Tidal Hifi, what should I have the output sample rate to, right now I have it at 44.1KHz, I do get the occasional skip when I play back. Any advice?  

Sounds USB/power related, especially given that you noticed when you plugged in more USB devices the Mac couldn't see the Modi.
Even though the Modi has a power supply, the USB part is USB powered. When you unplug or turn off the Modi the computer will still see it.

I would try direct connection from Mac to Modi with no Wyrd and no other USB ports in use, if you don't get any skips than I'd suspect the Wyrd isn't giving enough power.
If it still skips than it's the Mac, either something with the USB ports or the CPU is too busy and skips the output. (Don't have lots of other windows/apps open)

EDIT: Of course Tidal adds the possibility of it being connection-related, here's some reading:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/official-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread-22260/
I would try some FLAC files too just to make sure the skips aren't coming from Tidal.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #1,519 of 4,588
Is anyone using a USB cleaner (Intona, Regen, U2S, etc.) with their Modi2 MB? If yes, which one? Similarly, is anyone using power filtering? If so, which brand? Is anyone using semi-exotic USB cables? If so, which ones?

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,520 of 4,588
  Is anyone using a USB cleaner (Intona, Regen, U2S, etc.) with their Modi2 MB? If yes, which one? Similarly, is anyone using power filtering? If so, which brand? Is anyone using semi-exotic USB cables? If so, which ones?

Using a Wyrd, it stacks nicely on top of the MM, no power filtering and my Curious USB cables should be here any day!

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,521 of 4,588

I had a ifi iPurifier but actually thought it sounded better without. For power filtering I'm using a Tripp-Lite IS250. I primarily got it for the surge protection with the added bonus of correcting any bad power.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,522 of 4,588

No USB cleaner here either. At the moment, I am using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable, Schiit ICs and a Furman Power conditioning strip I got from Amazon. Today or tomorrow I will receive a pair of Wywires Silver ICs and a Wywires USB cable for my Vali 2 and Modimultibit computer music system.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,523 of 4,588
I have the same Furman power strip.

I'm curious about no one using a USB cleaner / U2S or similar device.

Thanks for the replies.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,524 of 4,588
I'm trying to decide between the Modi 2 Multibit/Magni 2 Uber and the Jotunheim. I was wondering if the Modi Multibit would be as good or even better than the balanced Jotunheim with dac? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,525 of 4,588
I'm trying to decide between the Modi 2 Multibit/Magni 2 Uber and the Jotunheim. I was wondering if the Modi Multibit would be as good or even better than the balanced Jotunheim with dac? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Search the Jotenheim thread for "multibit" and you will see lots of people choosing their Modi Multibit over the Jot's internal dac.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv

For $100 the internal dac can't be beat, but the $250 Modi Multibit is close to the $2300 Yggdrasil, so most people find it is noticeably better.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,526 of 4,588

General opinion seems to be that the Modi Multibit is better than the Jotunheim's DAC, but Jotunheim is a better amp than Magni 2. An idea combo would be Modi Multibit + Jotunheim, but if that doesn't work for you (or you want to prioritize fewer boxes) I'd probably recommend going with Jotunheim if you plan on using it balanced, the built-in DAC isn't bad, it just isn't as special as the multibit offerings.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,527 of 4,588
I think I'd rather get the Modi Multibit with some other amp besides the Magni. I was also looking at the Vali 2. I don't want to spend more than around $500 all together. I also thought about the Supreme Sound Lycan, I like the fact you can opamp roll.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,528 of 4,588
Listening to Dubstep on my Vali 2/Modimultibit hot rodded computer system. Installed Wywires Silver ICs and Platinum USB cable. I know I need to give Alex's wires at least 100 hours of break in. Hooked up my old HD600s with Toxic Silver Poison cable. Selected Jango on Mac mini and decided Dubstep would be a great place to start breakin. Just never thought the 600s did bass so great!! Must be the wires!!

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,529 of 4,588
I might be late but I've been away for a while. Does anyone have a recommendation for a third party power supply for the Modi Uber and Multibit that is more power outlet friendly? I am interested in getting one of the units but, that's my only issue. The damn power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,530 of 4,588
I might be late but I've been away for a while. Does anyone have a recommendation for a third party power supply for the Modi Uber and Multibit that is more power outlet friendly? I am interested in getting one of the units but, that's my only issue. The damn power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe this will help!

https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Extension-16AWG-13A-Upgraded-Version/dp/B00CEJW0WQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1479355551&sr=1-1&keywords=power+cords&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2798252011%2C4876337011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7065059011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back