Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,471 of 4,588
  What are you guys using for a USB cable connecting Mimby to your computer? I have been using Audioquest Forrest, but have a Wywires USB coming. You need a good USB to get the most goodness out of your DAC. I also have some of Alex's Silver interconnects coming to connect Modimultibit and Vali 2.

Audioquest Forrest as well, which has worked perfectly.  Not the least expensive cable but definitely not even close to the top.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,472 of 4,588
Just really wondering if raspbery digi + and modi multibit were a good match.

Are you using the optical connection?

Yes, I tried both coax and optical for the digi+Pro, both sound the same. While using the original digi+ with Jriver IdPi software I use optical.
This is why I'm asking about the multibit, I had a bad feeling there was a synergy problem. My multibit is strident in the highs and a bit lean played through the Magni Uber, into ether computer speakers(crappy) or the HD650. The digi+ has a leaner sound, more mylar sounding, then USB from my computer. It gets even worse with the PRO, soundstage widens but instruments become tinny and hollow in the middle like a table radio.

Duncan

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,473 of 4,588
Bigro, I want to share a fancy wire story with you. A friend of mine was using some $250 battery biased Audioquest cable between a HiFiBerry I made for him and an Esoteric Audio K-07. He had skips in the playback and the Esoteric would lose lock. He blamed the HiFiBerry, his network or his K-07. Switching to a Belkin cable solved the problem.

Fast forward to my aquiring an Yggdrasil. I used a solid silver conductor Audioquest cable between the HiFiBerry and the Yggy. Got skips in the playback. Most of these resolved by switching to a medical grade power supply for the HiFiBerry. They only completely resolved when I switched to and cheap Acoustic Research cable from abc appliance mart.

It is Blue Jeans Cables for me.

+1

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,474 of 4,588
Bigro, I want to share a fancy wire story with you. A friend of mine was using some $250 battery biased Audioquest cable between a HiFiBerry I made for him and an Esoteric Audio K-07. He had skips in the playback and the Esoteric would lose lock. He blamed the HiFiBerry, his network or his K-07. Switching to a Belkin cable solved the problem.

Fast forward to my aquiring an Yggdrasil. I used a solid silver conductor Audioquest cable between the HiFiBerry and the Yggy. Got skips in the playback. Most of these resolved by switching to a medical grade power supply for the HiFiBerry. They only completely resolved when I switched to and cheap Acoustic Research cable from abc appliance mart.

It is Blue Jeans Cables for me.

I am a big Fan of Blue Jeans Cable. Blue Jeans and Straight wire( or the Schiit Pyst because they are nice and short) is pretty much what I run  for Coax and Interconnects. The Bluejeans are built like tanks but they do not do well in tighter spaces so the "low" end straight wires cables work well their .For USB I use the Basic Pangea cables and The Pyst/Straightwire . What Power supply do you use for the Rasp Pi? I am looking at ditching the switching one.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,475 of 4,588
  What are you guys using for a USB cable connecting Mimby to your computer? I have been using Audioquest Forrest, but have a Wywires USB coming. You need a good USB to get the most goodness out of your DAC. I also have some of Alex's Silver interconnects coming to connect Modimultibit and Vali 2.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt, I'm far from the best critical listener, but I am an EE:

IMO, premium cables are one of the biggest "goldmines" of the audio industry, and while there is at least an argument for perfecting cables that carry an analog signal (Line Level, RCA, Balanced, Speaker Out) the same can't be said for cables carrying a digital signal (USB, Optical, S/PDIF)

For a digital signal, you are just transmitting 0's and 1's, on and off, and those two values have big voltage margins/windows to account for non-perfect connections and long transmission distances. Unless your cable is physically damaged, or otherwise out of spec for the data protocol, there will be no change in the signal. Any shielded USB or S/PDIF in proper working order should perform identically, and optical too. For digital, if it works it should be perfect and if something is wrong it should be very noticeable. (Think about how Digital TV signals don't go fuzzy like the old days, they just cut in and out when they get bad)

For analog, everything they say about cable quality and signal interference is true, you just have to decide how badly you want to get that 99.99999999% perfect signal. To me, basic shielded RCA's for line level and standard speaker wire sound perfect and should be all that's needed unless you have long cable runs or live next to radio broadcasts.

For what it's worth, I use and recommend Monoprice cables for everything, even analog. I can't tell the difference.
I've tested every cable I've got from them and had no no problems in the dozens I've ordered.

IME it's best to save the hard earned $$$ for where it makes the biggest difference!

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,476 of 4,588
I am a big Fan of Blue Jeans Cable. Blue Jeans and Straight wire( or the Schiit Pyst because they are nice and short) is pretty much what I run  for Coax and Interconnects. The Bluejeans are built like tanks but they do not do well in tighter spaces so the "low" end straight wires cables work well their .For USB I use the Basic Pangea cables and The Pyst/Straightwire . What Power supply do you use for the Rasp Pi? I am looking at ditching the switching one.

Right now I am using a medical grade switching psu, Jameco part number 2189724. I got the barrel to micro USB converter from amazon for $3

I want try this one though:

http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/Low-Noise-Power-Supply-5V-1A-Raspberry-DAC-Mini-USB-Micro-USB::66.html

PS I really wish Schiit would make a Wyrd Uber with a 2 amp regulated 5V USB tap on it.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,477 of 4,588
  Yes, I tried both coax and optical for the digi+Pro, both sound the same. While using the original digi+ with Jriver IdPi software I use optical.
This is why I'm asking about the multibit, I had a bad feeling there was a synergy problem. My multibit is strident in the highs and a bit lean played through the Magni Uber, into ether computer speakers(crappy) or the HD650. The digi+ has a leaner sound, more mylar sounding, then USB from my computer. It gets even worse with the PRO, soundstage widens but instruments become tinny and hollow in the middle like a table radio.

Duncan

Source / DAC synergy might have some slight effect, but your description sounds like something is wrong with either your source or the Mimby. If I'm reading this correctly you've tried digi+, digi+Pro and USB from your PC; if they all sound similarly bad then it sounds like something weird is going on with your Mimby.

Do you have another DAC that you can test with to further narrow it down?

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,478 of 4,588
I have used monoprice Interconnects but was getting some noise through my speakers. In my effort to eliminate it I ended up trying Bluejeans cables which helped a lot and once seeing the build quality that's what I went with for most everything. They are not super pricey and extremely well built. Most of their Raw Cable is Made By Belden. As far as digital I agree. I work In the Storage Area Network world where we use a lot of Fiber.  Without getting into the weeds It is lossless, meaning packet drops are not acceptable. The cables used are nothing special. Typical OM3 with LC connectors. If Packets were dropped performance would tank and data could be compromised and they are used every where. I have Had no issues with monoprice Coax or Fiber however USB seems to be a different story, however I don't think this is cable related probably port power management.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,479 of 4,588
BJC is the schiit.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,480 of 4,588

Where do you buy your Straight Wire cable?

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,482 of 4,588
To all:

After putting the Digi+Pro in the Pi3, swapping it out for the old Digi+, trying again updated everything with no luck, switching back, using my JRiver IdPi server with the old card and pretty much giving up on the new one. Today, being a glutton for punishment and hoping that magic would happen, It Did! Stick the Pro card back in and it works perfectly. It sounds better than the old card and as far as I can tell the same as USB from my Dell computer. 

The Linux Gods must have took notice and bestowed some compassionate overnight help. I don't know what is different between the last time I tried it and now.

Anyway, Thank You All and I apologize for wasting your time and screen space.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,483 of 4,588
I'm loving my Momby but I am wondering if there is any more sound quality that can be squeezed out of this thing.

Any recommendations for a Sub $150 usb to spdif converter or a usb decrapifier?

I'm just using a usb cable straight from my macbook air to the Momby. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,484 of 4,588
As far as the cable discussion, I'm using a standard Belkin Gold USB, seems to work fine for my needs.

I'm using these for my RCA's and I'm very pleased with the performance for the price. Belen 1505 cables, high quality silver connectors and Viable sleeving. Made here in the States as well. Blue Jeans is also highly recommended around here. My buddy has some from them and I can confirm they are quality. 

Link: https://www.ramelectronics.net/RAMFLEXSA.aspx

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,485 of 4,588
Ancipital,

Have you listened to a HD650 using the mimby w/the Vali 2...is the combo sufficient?  With the upcoming Massdrop on the HD6XX, I will need an dac/amp combo that can drive this headphone. I was going to go w/the Jotunheim, but since the headphones won't come in for some time after I order them, I am hoping to find a used Vali 2 or other SS amp here @ HeadFi and then get a nice DAC like the modi to use this with my PC while saving a few bucks in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back