Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #1,396 of 4,588
  Modi Multibit is a revolution.

The sound is addicting, and if it's true that you can't get this performance at this price anywhere else I feel the sudden need to implement a mimby for every audio source in my life!

1 for the laptop, 1 for the gaming computer, 1 for the TV... but what if you could put a sine wave inverter in the car and get mimby on the road... and you could even make a battery + inverter + mimby backpack for portable use!

Has anyone tried powering the Modi Multibit with noisy power sources? (Like a 12v inverter)
Does power line noise show up on the audio output?

Trouble is, the Mimby won't be settled into its INL spec (i.e. at its most accurate) unless it has been powered on for a couple of hours and is up to temperature.. so that'd kinda suck for mobile use. A Chord Mojo might be easier for mobile use.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,397 of 4,588
Random electrostatic pulses, minor line brownouts, and even minor emps into poorly shielded cables can cause the DSP processor in the Mimby to slip a bit and exhibit odd sounds.  In that case, a quick reset by cycling power will clear all up.  No worries.

Thank you for clearing this up. I had PMed Jason about it earlier.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,399 of 4,588
Hi guys, do guys leave ur mimby switched on 24/7 everyday? Is it safe to leave it running warm when no ones home?How do u guys keep it cool?

I leave mine on 24/7 unless I'm going to be out of town. It doesn't get more than warm to the touch. I keep my apartment at 72f.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,402 of 4,588
Hi guys, do guys leave ur mimby switched on 24/7 everyday? Is it safe to leave it running warm when no ones home?How do u guys keep it cool?

24x7.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,404 of 4,588
It should be noted that, like all multibit/R2R ladder DACs, the very last thing you want to do with this is cool it.  Or really, deliberately do anything to significantly change the temperature of the DAC.  Stabililty is the name of the game.

The heat is part of the design.  It will get warm, as expected.  What matters is temperature stability.  Blow a fan across it and you'll most likely have less thermal stability than leaving it alone.

So you should both leave it on 24/7, and also leave it be. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,405 of 4,588
Would that apply to stacking an amp on the dac as well? Just curious if the extra heat would create the same instability.
Cheers
It should be noted that, like all multibit/R2R ladder DACs, the very last thing you want to do with this is cool it.  Or really, deliberately do anything to significantly change the temperature of the DAC.  Stabililty is the name of the game.

The heat is part of the design.  It will get warm, as expected.  What matters is temperature stability.  Blow a fan across it and you'll most likely have less thermal stability than leaving it alone.

So you should both leave it on 24/7, and also leave it be. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,407 of 4,588
Would that apply to stacking an amp on the dac as well? Just curious if the extra heat would create the same instability.
Cheers

The Mimby takes at least a couple hours to hit maximal thermal stability after a significant change.  So this would only matter if the amp is both one which produces a notable amount of heat and the heat varies significantly either with the musical program or via power cycling. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,408 of 4,588
Cheers

It may depend on the amp. The Asgard 2 I used to stack on top of my Bifrost Multibit was always hot (being class A), so overall stack temperature was fairly constant. Nevertheless, I placed separators between the two to keep the Bifrost better ventilated. I could imagine a different situation with an amp with highly variable dissipation. I've since replaced the Asgard 2 with a Jotunheim, which runs much cooler, but kept the separators. The Bifrost feels hardly any warmer than if it did not have anything stacked on it. But again, pretty constant temperature from always-on and sufficient ventilation. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,409 of 4,588
So...I bought myself a Modi Multibit last week, got it yesterday, plugged it in after work and got about 20 minutes of listening pleasure from my music collection and then it...died. I'm guessing it's the wallwart since the DAC still shows up under my USB devices but there's no output and I tried it on my old O2 since it has a similar rating to my current one and no go. 

Funny thing, I bought a Magni and Modi set a couple years back before I got the O2 and it worked for a day before the wallwart went kaput. I'm starting to feel like Schiit doesn't like me. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back